Author Topic: Mulberry and Lychee recommendations.  (Read 3923 times)

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
Mulberry and Lychee recommendations.
« on: July 17, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions on the best mulberry to grow in Zone 9b/10a.
These are the varieties I have seen mentioned on this forum.
Red/Black Pakistan (Shahtoot)?,  White Pakistan, Everbearing, Tice, ShangriLa.

If you could pick only two of these 3 varieties of Lychees - Brewster, Mauritius and HakIp, which would you choose? I already have a Sweetheart Lychee.

Thanks.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Mulberry and Lychee recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »
Persian is the best

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »
I don't think Persian mulberries like humidity?

I have 7 types of mulberries and each year one seems to shine,

I have a large leaf tree that gets as bis as an oak. I have heard it is Shangri La
but common names are very inconsistent. It has very juicy/messy large fruit that
are very good. I also found a tree on a corner of some guys property. It is also a
large tree but has smaller leaves. He said he bought it in Homestead and had an
unusual name for it. It also has large slightly sweeter fruit then the Shangri La.
I definitely wouldn't expect CA mulberries to perform or taste the same in Florida
I have heard allot of people rave bout the Black Pakistan mulberry and so far it
has tasted like crap in my yard? But the birds love it. The white shatoot is very very sweet
and I prefer to dehydrate the fruit. I also have a couple dwarf everbearing types.
I would try some fruit and if you like it most types root very easy from cuttings.
It seems like every time I stick 3 cuttings in the dirt 2 of them root

The lychees I would get the Hakip, because of the smaller seed. I have a type called ohia
I got from Fruitscapes and one of the selling points was it does better in 9b? Mine has not
fruited yet maybe next year?

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
Hak Ip and Sweetheart are the same

Mauritius is a more Consistent bearer then the other varieties but the tree tends to grow a little larger

My three favorite varieties are sweetheart (aka hak ip, fay zee siu), emperor and kaimana

Brad
Brad

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 05:38:25 PM »
Brewster tastes better to me than Mauritius.   It is very sweet without that acidic component Mauritius has.  It does have a perfumed rose scent which I like.  Main drawback is larger seed and flesh tends to not release from the seed as easy...

I am not sure I believe 100% that Sweetheart and Hak Ip are identical.  For instance, the Lychee Fruit Store, a commercial lychee and longan grove in Loxahatchee grows both and the two have some differences.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 05:43:09 PM »
As for mulberry, hard to beat the Australian "green" aka Austrailian white.  Sweet as augar with a honeydew melon flavor.
- Rob

koundog

• U.S FL,Vero Beach 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »
The giant variety of mulberry is great the normal size ones are so small 30 of them can be eaten in one bite where’s the giant variety are the size of blackberries. Pakistani are ok they are bigger to but not as big as the giant ones

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »
Tice is my fav. Can be very sweet with a sharp tart to it. Delicious. I'm also starting to appreciate Everbearing mulberry as well.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 11:26:09 PM »
If you like sweet + sour, then tice is fantastic. However, the tree grows lightning fast, so you need a good chunk of space for it.

If you like sugar sweet, then the australian green is keen.
Jeff  :-)

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 12:05:34 PM »
Behl - I have read online what  Achetadomestica said below that the Persian Mulberry does not do well in FL. I don't know if any of the FL growers on the forum have had a different experience.

Acheta - Did you grow the varieties you have from cutting or did you buy the plants from a nursery? If so, which nursery?

Brad - Any idea where I could buy a Kaimana?

Rob, TnTrobbie, Jeff - Where would I find Australian white, Tice plants? I am not usually a big fan of super sweet, so I will try the Australian before I buy.

Koundog - I have not heard of the giant type.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 12:12:56 PM »
Behl - I have read online what  Achetadomestica said below that the Persian Mulberry does not do well in FL. I don't know if any of the FL growers on the forum have had a different experience.

Acheta - Did you grow the varieties you have from cutting or did you buy the plants from a nursery? If so, which nursery?

Brad - Any idea where I could buy a Kaimana?

Rob, TnTrobbie, Jeff - Where would I find Australian white, Tice plants? I am not usually a big fan of super sweet, so I will try the Australian before I buy.

Koundog - I have not heard of the giant type.

Tice may be a bit difficult to find.  Excalibur has the Australian Green (not sure who else in Florida sells it).  This variety has some everbearing traits and you may be able to find a ripe fruit to taste.
- Rob

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 12:27:50 PM »
Rob, do you know if Excalibur has any other mulberries in stock?
Also, since you are on here can I ask when you will have a 3 gal Bangkok Lemon jackfruit for sale? I stopped by Excalibur in February and again about a month ago but it was not available either time.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »
I am pretty sure the White shatoot and Australian green are the same tree?
I have heard the large leaf type I have called Shangri La and Tice???  Actually it would be easier to say
Mulberry common names are very confusing. Some of my trees I started from a
cutting and I bought some. I got the White shatoot from Just Fruits. The tree was started
from a cutting but I have tried dozens of times and can't get it to root.

I have a rooted cutting of the dwarf everbearing and I could get some more rooted if you are
interested. I promised a couple for people and don't mind making extras. I live about 25 minutes
East of Ft Myers. PM if interested. They are pretty much out of season or you could come and
sample them.  I always have seen 2-3 types available at Echo. I bought a contorted mulberry off
Ebay a couple years ago. It was a rooted cutting and came from a guy in St Pete. It has fruited
sparingly but the fruit is very good on the smaller side. It is finally taking off this year growing and
hopefully next year will have more fruit. I like contorted trees and look forward to it getting big.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
I got a mulberry from *gulp* TopTropicals "labelled" "Australian". It fruited abundantly and it's flavor was along the description from Rob and Cookie. Very sweet with mild melon/cantelope notes. I'll see if I can post some  actual pics .
F*ck squirrels and deers

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM »
There's really all sorts of advantages and disadvantages, and it probably comes down to personal preference.

For best mulberry flavor I'd choose Persian Black.
I think Brewster has the best flavor, but there's a lot of individual preference surrounding this. Hak Ip is supposed to have exceptional flavor, if you can tolerate a slightly medicinal note. But of course it may not produce regularly, and some have found it finnicky to grow. Mauritius has a cinammon subacid taste that I don't especially like in a lychee, but for some people that's their favorite tasting variety.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 04:03:36 PM »
Since the OP is in Florida, some recommendations and opinions that come from those growing in other states may not be applicable.

Hak Ip does not struggle or be considered finicky in its growth in Florida.  I also do not notice a medicinal taste from a rioe Hak Ip grown here  (and I have eaten much poundage).  Pick them with too much green ir nit fulky ripe, then you get what you get.
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 04:20:58 PM »
I got a mulberry from *gulp* TopTropicals "labelled" "Australian". It fruited abundantly and it's flavor was along the description from Rob and Cookie. Very sweet with mild melon/cantelope notes. I'll see if I can post some  actual pics .

Is the Australian fruit white or red/black?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 04:50:22 PM »
The fruit is green and turns light yellow when ripe. Its about 2.5" long.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:28:14 PM by TnTrobbie »
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 05:02:41 PM »

Is the Australian fruit white or red/black?

When unripe its green...it turns a dirty white eggshell color when ripe.
- Rob

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 05:35:05 PM »
Are the Australian, Pakistan usually grafted or from cuttings?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 05:38:23 PM »
Are the Australian, Pakistan usually grafted or from cuttings?

The Austrailian is grafted.  It does not seem to want to root from cuttings.
- Rob

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 05:55:29 PM »
The Austrailian is grafted.  It does not seem to want to root from cuttings.

Are they usually grafted onto the same variety or is there a particular variety that is used for rootstock?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
I know you're a long distance from Lee county, but I think this is something we all need to know, just in case.  I got this email a week or so ago.

URGENT NOTICE

Dear Growers,

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has put an immediate quarantine in place for all of Lee County due to the presence of a major pest of lychee, Aceria litchii, known as lychee erinose mite.  This pest has been found in several locations in Lee County including in lychee groves on Pine Island, and on residential properties and plant nurseries in other areas of the county.

To prevent the further spread of this major pest, the department is prohibiting the movement of lychee fruit or plant parts (trees, leaves or stems) out of the county.

There is more to this letter, but you get the gist.  I had just bought one a couple of months ago, so I'm watching it carefully, I'm one county south. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 12:47:47 AM »
surprised by now people still think they are the same....totally different growth habits, different color foilage, and different fruit size .

Hak Ip and Sweetheart are the same

Mauritius is a more Consistent bearer then the other varieties but the tree tends to grow a little larger

My three favorite varieties are sweetheart (aka hak ip, fay zee siu), emperor and kaimana

Brad

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 12:58:15 AM »
It depends where you are getting your trees from. As of several years ago, the Hak Ip people are growing in Florida is not what the Chinese call Hak Ip. I’ve lost pictures of the real Hak Ip on this site somewhere.

Simon