Author Topic: Best method to graft longan  (Read 7111 times)

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
Best method to graft longan
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
We have a mature logan tree that was grown from a seed. It produces great fruits but I would like to graft other known varities to the tree. Does anyone have any advice as to when to graft and the best grafting method(s) to use?

Thanks

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Best method to graft longan
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 01:09:17 AM »
Longan trees are usually marcotted, difficult to graft I've been told. I've never tried grafting them myself.

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 02:33:59 AM »
Now is considered the bloom season for Longans in south Florida. So, I wouldn't recommend to graft them anytime soon. My Kohala tree is a cleft graft and I've been very happy with it so far. The graft line is very clean and the tree is in full bloom.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:09:24 AM »
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:12:52 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:12:11 AM »
Seedlings have a stronger root system maybe ?

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:26:05 AM »
We live on a small lot (6000 sf) and do not have room for more fruit trees. That is why I want to graft other varities to this tree.

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:28:05 AM »
Now is considered the bloom season for Longans in south Florida. So, I wouldn't recommend to graft them anytime soon. My Kohala tree is a cleft graft and I've been very happy with it so far. The graft line is very clean and the tree is in full bloom.

Thank you so much for this info. Do you recall which season you did the graft?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:46:38 AM »

I dont hear or see much in the way of cocktail longan tree.  From what you say, you have a tree that produces fruit you like...just a word of caution, tinker too much with trying to top work it may result in a loss of a good thing.
- Rob

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 10:27:50 AM »

I dont hear or see much in the way of cocktail longan tree.  From what you say, you have a tree that produces fruit you like...just a word of caution, tinker too much with trying to top work it may result in a loss of a good thing.

Your comment makes perfect sense. I too can't find much on this subject. I was hoping others have done this so I can learn from them. I'm willing to sacrafice a couple of branches for this project; because, I am one of those nuts that can't leave things alone.

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
I wish I could take credit for grafting it but it wasn't done by me. There may be some benefits of grafting a longan tree. I don't have a direct comparison between a grafted and marcott but I've heard bad things about fruit production and how a marcotted tree quickly becomes very large. Again, not pretending to be an expert just sharing me experience with my tree. In the three years I've had the tree, I've gotten great fruit set and constant but manageable new grow. I don't know how much of that is related to it being grafted but I've been happy with my tree.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 04:10:41 PM »
To graft another branch onto your existing tree I would do a cleft graft. I have both marcotted and grafted longans and the grafted trees were cleft grafted.
Peter

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 04:32:34 PM »
To graft another branch onto your existing tree I would do a cleft graft. I have both marcotted and grafted longans and the grafted trees were cleft grafted.
Peter

Thanks Peter:

This gives me hope that it is possible to do it.

Don

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 04:38:18 PM »
I wish I could take credit for grafting it but it wasn't done by me. There may be some benefits of grafting a longan tree. I don't have a direct comparison between a grafted and marcott but I've heard bad things about fruit production and how a marcotted tree quickly becomes very large. Again, not pretending to be an expert just sharing me experience with my tree. In the three years I've had the tree, I've gotten great fruit set and constant but manageable new grow. I don't know how much of that is related to it being grafted but I've been happy with my tree.

This is great info. Thank you so much!

jmc96

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 04:57:43 PM »
Now that I see people have done successful grafts on Longans, I'll try it for myself. I've read nothing but negative results on grafting Longans and Litchies for that matter. It would be nice to have a multi grafted litchie tree.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »
We have a mature logan tree that was grown from a seed. It produces great fruits but I would like to graft other known varities to the tree. Does anyone have any advice as to when to graft and the best grafting method(s) to use?

Thanks

If you don't mind I would like to see the picture of the full tree -- Just want to see how big a longan from seed bears fruits. How old is the tree from seed?

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 05:58:24 AM »
Btw somewhere on the forum is a thread where i had a native longan grafted onto seedling longan  these are still going strong.

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 10:15:41 PM »

There are at least two of us here in the San Gabriel Valley growing cocktail longans. I also live in a very small residential lot with very limited growing space. They are not easy but the grafts can be done. I have a kohala tree grafted with four other varieties and the entire tree is blooming nicely. Since you're not too far away from us, this will probably work for you too. The best time for grafting is spring. Second best time for me is after harvest in late fall. Also done it in December with lower success rate.

I like whip grafts. Veneer works better for smaller scions and thicker roostock/branch. Cleft works best on same diameter scion/rootstock branch.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:17:17 PM by xshen »

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 12:59:52 AM »

There are at least two of us here in the San Gabriel Valley growing cocktail longans. I also live in a very small residential lot with very limited growing space. They are not easy but the grafts can be done. I have a kohala tree grafted with four other varieties and the entire tree is blooming nicely. Since you're not too far away from us, this will probably work for you too. The best time for grafting is spring. Second best time for me is after harvest in late fall. Also done it in December with lower success rate.

I like whip grafts. Veneer works better for smaller scions and thicker roostock/branch. Cleft works best on same diameter scion/rootstock branch.

This is fantastic news. I am glad to read that you and others have successfully done this. I will defintely try it now.

I just have to find some scions to try. If anyone that has some that would like to trade, i would be happy to trade with my other unknown name fruit trees. They are mango, longan, asian persimmon, two types of dragon fruits (white and red - i think it is red. It is just now flowering), blood orange and cherimoya.

Please be in the immediate Orange County area.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 01:09:51 AM by Toomuch »

jmc96

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 04:13:14 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]
It's approaching late fall here. I have a 10yo seedling that has done zero, and two marcotted cultivars that are now going onto the unproductive seedling. Wish me luck.

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »

[/quote]
It's approaching late fall here. I have a 10yo seedling that has done zero, and two marcotted cultivars that are now going onto the unproductive seedling. Wish me luck.
[/quote]

Please report back on your progress. I would love to read what you did, when you did it and how successful you were.

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »

Thanks

If you don't mind I would like to see the picture of the full tree -- Just want to see how big a longan from seed bears fruits. How old is the tree from seed?

Here is the picture of the tree. It is probably 15+ YO.

We like its size. it is perfect for the small yard.

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
Do you remember where you got the seed?  Does the fruit have a relatively small seed? How is the texture of the flesh? Does the flesh cling onto the seed?

Toomuch

• NoVa and OC, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
Do you remember where you got the seed?  Does the fruit have a relatively small seed? How is the texture of the flesh? Does the flesh cling onto the seed?

I believe the seed came from a fruit we got from a Vietnamese grocery store. The seeds from the tree are smaller than other logans. They could be small due to small fruits (i believe the fruits are small because we dont thin them out. I will  try to remove 2/3 of them to see if they get any bigger). Since I don't live here full time, I have only eaten the fruits a few times. Therefore, I don't recall the texture but they are sweet and do not cling to the seeds.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:15:39 PM by Toomuch »