Author Topic: Azanza garckeana - Snotappel/African chewing gum/Jakjak/Mutohwe/Morojwa/Amakole  (Read 7137 times)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
A friend is sending me seeds for this very strange fruit of the Southern African region.
All parts of the fruit are chewed like gum except the seeds. When chewing it produces a sweet edible slime for lack of a better word.It is chewed until it stops producing this and then the dry part is spat out. I suppose many might think this sounds unpleasant but come on weird=awesome IMO ;D
High in calcium, potassium, iron and vitimin C. The slime it produces is also said to be very conducive to healthy gut bacterial growth.
It is also used in making jellies and a thickening agent in soups/stews etc.
Flower is beautiful and reminiscent of hibiscus +-6cm long(well it is malvaceae!)

Seemingly it has some popularity in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana and other Southern African countries. Problem in Africa is that wild fruits have a massive stigma for being "poor peoples food" and people are embarrassed to eat it or admit to eating it :'(
My aim is to crack the nut of African fruit wide open and lifted from obscurity! These plants deserve their time in the sun and rather than being looked down upon should be the food de jour of all the happening hipsters  8)

Picture sources
http://zambianeye.com/archives/10397
http://thesovereignstate.org/indigenous-fruits-of-zimbabwe-3/
http://www.africanplants.senckenberg.de/root/index.php?page_id=78&id=2868
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Sounds interesting.  Do you know of any seed sources?

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Sounds interesting.  Do you know of any seed sources?
http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/190165137/6_Azanza_garckeana_Seeds_Snot_Apple_Tree_Seeds_Indigenous_Edible_Fruit.html
Cant really vouch for the above source but I was thinking of buying from here before thinking to ask a Zim contact:)

I would gladly send you some when I get but Im not sure how many she will send me this first time. I will try get more to distribute if people are interested :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:15:52 AM by stuartdaly88 »
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
There's a single mature flowering Azanza garckeana growing in my neighbourhood. Are they monoecious?

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
There's a single mature flowering Azanza garckeana growing in my neighbourhood. Are they monoecious?
"I have also visited many African market places and have seen many fresh fruit types with two in particular which took my attention for being a very interesting fruit as well as good eating.

One of these has the common name 'Snot Apple', Botanical name Azanza garckeana.
The fruit is a woody capsule about 4 cm in diameter, clearly divided into five sections, brownish in colour when mature. Despite their hard woody nature, the fruits are edible. The whole fruit except the seeds are chewed like chewing gum, and this fruit when it becomes moist, softens up and releases over a period of 10 to 15 minutes a very sweet, glutinous slime which appears to be sweeter than dates and very agreeable to taste.

There is no doubt that these hard fruits will store for a long time in a dry state. It has large blossoms looking similar to the Hibiscus flower. Only one tree is required for fruiting. The fruit is popular with the Africans. Most market places where this fruit is available one can see Africans enjoying chewing the fruit. The seeds took 4 weeks to germinate, and are slow-growing."
Source:
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/PeoplePlaces/AfricanVisit5-88.htm

I read somewhere else confirming that it can produce fruits parthenocarpicaly I cant find that doc anymore though.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
I'll have to keep checking on it for the  fruit. It has a gorgeous flower, similar to Hibiscus.
I remember reading that article years ago while trying to ident the tree. That's the same article that got me interested in the Telfairia Sp.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
I'll have to keep checking on it for the  fruit. It has a gorgeous flower, similar to Hibiscus.
I remember reading that article years ago while trying to ident the tree. That's the same article that got me interested in the Telfairia Sp.
Please take pics and report on taste if you get the chance! It definitely different to anything iv heard of before :)
Are you growing Telfairia sp?
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
I grew several of these from seed when I was at Quail Gardens; IIRC one got planted out in the Fruit Garden- not sure if it has survived. The seed came from an exchange with the Harare Botanic Garden in Zimbabwe, but I know Silverhill Seeds also offers them.

Never had the fruit.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
I grew several of these from seed when I was at Quail Gardens; IIRC one got planted out in the Fruit Garden- not sure if it has survived. The seed came from an exchange with the Harare Botanic Garden in Zimbabwe, but I know Silverhill Seeds also offers them.

Never had the fruit.

Problem I find with Silverseeds is they dont list what they stock seasonally so if they are out of stock it just isnt listed. I suppose one could just email but Im looking on different species so often I would become a nuisance!!!!
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
I failed with my first attempts at germination but got more seeds from silverhill a little over a month ago and am happy to report I have alot of seedlings coming up!!!!! 8) ;D

This also just goes to show that with germination persistance is important many times if I fail to germinate a few lots of seeds I get scared to try again but the law of averages is on your side so keep trying different sources.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:07:59 AM by stuartdaly88 »
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Interesting looking wood capsules. The shape reminds me of Matisia cordata (Chupa chupa). Like Matisia the common name is not very good for publicitiy. Snot apple?  :o ??? ::)
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Interesting looking wood capsules. The shape reminds me of Matisia cordata (Chupa chupa). Like Matisia the common name is not very good for publicitiy. Snot apple?  :o ??? ::)
Yeah I far prefer "African chewing gum" but snotappel/ Snot apple seems to be used more widely  :o

Iv yet to try it but people who have had have reported good things. You chew the woody capsule and it makes a very sweet slightly viscous liquid you swallow for about as long as a chewing gum. It is high in energy and very appreciated where it is grown apparently.

So called "bush/veld foods" are often looked down on here and with a name like snot apple I can understand people not being too keen :'(
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Yeah I far prefer "African chewing gum" but snotappel/ Snot apple seems to be used more widely  :o

Iv yet to try it but people who have had have reported good things. You chew the woody capsule and it makes a very sweet slightly viscous liquid you swallow for about as long as a chewing gum. It is high in energy and very appreciated where it is grown apparently.

So called "bush/veld foods" are often looked down on here and with a name like snot apple I can understand people not being too keen :'(
I wonder if it's slimy like okra...which is also in the hibiscus family?
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile

I wonder if it's slimy like okra...which is also in the hibiscus family?
From what Iv heard it is completly dry but when chewed produces the "slime". It can also be used to thicken and flavour other dishes and since it is dry it keeps a very long time.

I know slime doesnt sound pleasant :( but the reports are really good despite that maybe its a you have to try it yourself thing ha ha
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Managed to get quite a few of these guys going from seed.
Slow to start but taking off a bit now:)

-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk