Author Topic: Compact Mango Suggestions  (Read 93555 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Compact Mango Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »
NDM -nam doc mai is compact but the mango has straight sweet honey taste. I would plant it only if I have the more complex ones that also have tart component.

I can vouch for Fairchild. Good reliable producer. Can be pruned to keep it small. But it is not as compact as Pickering and Julie. Pickering produces fairly soon after planting. Lots of people like the Pickering fruit. In your situation I would go for one of these:

Julie
Faichild
Pickering
Pina Colada (compact grower) (it is growing slowly for me)

Carrie is a bushy grower but not compact. It is a medium fast grower
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:27:48 AM by zands »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 10:23:40 AM »
Here in SoCal

Villa Seņor
Peggy
Leo#2

Are compact slow growers.

What's the story on those?  Where did they originate?  How's the quality of the fruit?
John

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 10:30:19 AM »
My Neelam tree was very compact and slow-growing.  I say "was" because I just chopped it down.  It's really an awful tasting mango--absolutely the worst I've ever tasted!  It's an Indian mango, and there's a reason that it's not a well-regarded mango in India.  I don't know why anyone would want to grow it except for maybe plant breeding purposes.  My Pickering tree has behaved like a dwarf--in the ground almost 4 years and still only six feet tall.  (I love that tree!)  Angie and Mallika are both fairly compact.

Neelam makes the list, but gets immediately rejected :) Thanks for pitches for Pickering, Angie and Mallika!
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
Here in SoCal

Villa Seņor
Peggy
Leo#2

Thanks JF, list is updated!
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
NDM -nam doc mai is compact but the mango has straight sweet honey taste. I would plant it only if I have the more complex ones that also have tart component.

I can vouch for Fairchild. Good reliable producer. Can be pruned to keep it small. But it is not as compact as Pickering and Julie. Pickering produces fairly soon after planting. Lots of people like the Pickering fruit. In your situation I would go for one of these:

Julie
Faichild
Pickering

zands, thanks for the great info, list is updated!
- Mark

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »

mallika archives search

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=search2;params=eJwtzEEOgCAMRNG7uHGrB_EMpJQmoBVMQY1JD28x7v68xUC4ICMFHXXSQb30mq1qLLfDsh9Mjcw6nX4lbK5kfn4p0qyEmL6bn1xIYhyoYhcCwWh7Aea0wQs93i2C;start=30

I would not include mallika. Through the years I have seen people (posters here) cut down their mallika tree. The fruit is hard to pick just right. Only plant if you have lots of others but this does not sound like your situation

I got a beautiful leafy mallika at Home Depot say three years ago. But returned it after reading the negative mallika comments here

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »
Mallikas do not have to be picked mature green then allowed to ripen to be best enjoyed. Tree ripened ones taste just as fine. Production and disease resistance is excellent. I'd question Pina Colada. It's production (lack) has been of debate for maybe the past 2-3 years/seasons.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 11:30:18 AM »

Julie
Faichild
Pickering

zands, thanks for the great info, list is updated!

Here is Leo#2 brix25 and Peggy brix 23 on ataulfo grafted last year
These are easy to maintain at 10-12'

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »
Mallikas do not have to be picked mature green then allowed to ripen to be best enjoyed. Tree ripened ones taste just as fine. Production and disease resistance is excellent. I'd question Pina Colada. It's production (lack) has been of debate for maybe the past 2-3 years/seasons.

I think Mallika fruits can be variable like Neelam. Both are Indian mangoes
I remember a poster here said his mallikas tasted like carrots and he was going to axe the tree.
My Pina Colada needs more production confirmation but this year it produced 25 small size fruit with great taste. I await 2016 to see what it can do. By small fruits I mean the size of an 8oz teacup with some a bit larger.
2015 was the first year fruiting for the Pina Colada. The fruits should be larger next year
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:53:49 AM by zands »

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 12:10:18 PM »
Here is Leo#2 brix25 and Peggy brix 23 on ataulfo grafted last year
These are easy to maintain at 10-12'

Nice looking tree JF! I bet the drainage is superb on that hillside.
- Mark

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
Here in hot, humid St. Pete, Pickering and Neelam do quite well. Planted both in Jan/Feb of 2013. Both produced (about) 8 mangoes each this year; Pickering's were larger and tastier. Neelam's are smaller and so-so. The Pickering is also the smallest of the trees I have - the top tip is about 4 feet tall now. It is a bit droopy, as someone else mentioned.
So far, it hasn't been that hard to keep the height of my mango trees under control - but then, they're quite young.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »
Here in SoCal

Villa Seņor
Peggy
Leo#2

What's the story on those?  Where did they originate?  How's the quality of the fruit?

JF, can you give us more information on these three varieties?
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »

I remember a poster here said his mallikas tasted like carrots and he was going to axe the tree.
My Pina Colada needs more production confirmation but this year it produced 25 small size fruit with great taste. I await 2016 to see what it can do. By small fruits I mean the size of an 8oz teacup with some a bit larger.
2015 was the first year fruiting for the Pina Colada. The fruits should be larger next year

I believe Mallika does have Neelam as a parent.  I've grown it before at a former house, and I liked it a lot (picked ripe, not green), but if my current tree produces fruit that tastes like Neelam, I won't keep it.  Next year it should have its first crop.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:49:45 PM by johnb51 »
John

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 01:04:00 PM »
This year I got to try a lot of mango.  The carrie, nam doc 4, and mallika have become gifts for friends of mine so I can plant different types.

Fruit punch is getting one spot and I am torn on the last two.  Lots of great mango left to try.

I tried all three this year and none were in my top ten so out they go. 

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »

I believe Mallika does have Neelam as a parent.  I've grown it before at a former house, and I liked it a lot (picked ripe, not green), but if my current tree produces fruit that tastes like Neelam, I won't keep it.  Next year it should have its first crop.

john, I think you are right. greenman and I were discussing here http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17247.msg218881#msg218881. Mallika's parents are Neelam and Dussehri. Dussehri is of interest for it's potential cold tolerance and greenman and I were wondering if that conferred any cold tolerance to Mallika. Do you have any experience with Mallika's potential cold tolerance? (even though this is veering off into another thread :) ). Thanks!
- Mark

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 09:13:23 AM »
It doesn't get cold where I live--0.7 mile from the beach.  Former house--9 miles from the beach.
John

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2015, 09:19:40 AM »
Ahhh gotcha.
It doesn't get cold where I live--0.7 mile from the beach.  Former house--9 miles from the beach.

Ahhh, gotcha. My yard is slightly too cold for mangoes (see here for how I deal with it). And I have another spot in my yard that only a compact mango will fit (which is the point of this post). And a compact mango will be easier to frost protect over it's life too. But if it somehow had a couple more degrees of cold hardiness, well then that would be my mango holy grail :)
- Mark

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
  • Here in hot, humid St. Pete, Pickering and Neelam do quite well. Planted both in Jan/Feb of 2013. Both produced (about) 8 mangoes each this year; Pickering's were larger and tastier. Neelam's are smaller and so-so. The Pickering is also the smallest of the trees I have - the top tip is about 4 feet tall now. It is a bit droopy, as someone else mentioned.
    So far, it hasn't been that hard to keep the height of my mango trees under control - but then, they're quite young.

You are 150 miles north of Ft Lauderdale so are doing very well with your mangoes. From all I read here that 150-200 miles has impact on mango trees. Less solar-sun hitting the leaves and cooler than Miami. Not to discourage you because I know there are many older mango trees in St Petersburg Florida

As far as the latitude of North India mangoes>>

Fort Lauderdale, United States coordinates
    26.1145° N, 80.1435° W

Varanasi (in North India)i coordinates
    25.3131° N, 83.0077° E

St. Petersburg, United States coordinates
    27.7886° N, 82.6393°
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:31:20 AM by zands »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »
I love Pickering - very compact tree yet good vigor, great production, good looking tree with dense dark green foliage and short internodes, AWESOME tasting fruit with great texture, richness, no fiber, etc. 

Had my first Mallika this morn allowed to ripen fully on the tree (hardly any green).  Meh..... For a dwarf it's leggy, not well branched, fruit is a bit pasty with some edible fiber (that's not that objectionable).  I severely topped it down to 8" when first planted and having harvested all fruit topped it back 1/3 yesterday past any of the long internodes.   

Disclaimer - am a new mango grower, long time gardener, trees are young, greenhouse grown, greenhouse temps 99+ every day.

I've heard that NDM can get pretty large reason why I opted out for the other too.

Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2015, 02:40:13 PM »
I love Pickering - very compact tree yet good vigor, great production, good looking tree with dense dark green foliage and short internodes, AWESOME tasting fruit with great texture, richness, no fiber, etc. 

Thanks Mark! Yes, there seems to be a lot of widespread love for Pickering, thanks for the input!
- Mark

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 07:04:42 PM »
Any mango keeps growing, even Julie, so, as already well-stated at the top of this thread, you want varieties that take well to rather hard pruning and still fruit very well.

So Mallika and Beverly and Fairchild are not very compact on their own, but can be made that way every year.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 07:19:44 PM »
Baptiste, from Haiti, does well as a compact bush--- if you like the non-juicy firm texture and odd flavor.

Rosa, from Brazil, does well kept compact.  Very strong, distinctive flavor.  Try it first.

Florigon does very well when kept compact.  Gets huge if you don't prune it yearly.  Not a much apreciated flavor.

Duncan, already favorably mentioned, does very well when forced to stay compact.  A few persons really like it.

Venus, very late season, grows very leggy--- and then breaks many of its branches with excessive production.  I assume hard pruning would help a lot, but I haven't seen it done.  At that season its main competitors are Beverly and Keitt, so flavor standard is more lenient.
Har

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2015, 07:50:13 PM »
Any mango keeps growing, even Julie, so, as already well-stated at the top of this thread, you want varieties that take well to rather hard pruning and still fruit very well.

Right, that is a good point!

What I was trying to get across is that a compact tree has a relatively small internode length which will keep it's growth flushes from ballooning out of size too quickly. Especially seeing as how you want to do your pruning just after harvest (i.e. once a year). If the tree is too vigorous and has a large internode length it can certainly get out of hand in a growing season. All this is from what I read, I have very little (successful at least) mango experience of my own. So please correct me if any of this is mistaken.

So if my above assumption / interpretation of others experiences is correct, that is why I stated in the criteria that it needs only relatively minor pruning to be kept in check.
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
Baptiste, from Haiti, does well as a compact bush--- if you like the non-juicy firm texture and odd flavor.

Rosa, from Brazil, does well kept compact.  Very strong, distinctive flavor.  Try it first.

Florigon does very well when kept compact.  Gets huge if you don't prune it yearly.  Not a much apreciated flavor.

Duncan, already favorably mentioned, does very well when forced to stay compact.  A few persons really like it.

Venus, very late season, grows very leggy--- and then breaks many of its branches with excessive production.  I assume hard pruning would help a lot, but I haven't seen it done.  At that season its main competitors are Beverly and Keitt, so flavor standard is more lenient.

Thanks for the list, I will add it to the original list!
- Mark

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »
New variety, available next year:

Cotton Candy, original tree, planted out in the field in the late nineties, and never pruned, is still under 20 feet.  It has not been observed grafted onto Turpentine rootstock.
Har