Author Topic: Best MBBS resistant varieties  (Read 1166 times)

sammmy

• SE Florida
    • View Profile
Best MBBS resistant varieties
« on: May 14, 2019, 01:13:29 PM »
What are the best MBBS resistant mango varieties, listed in order of resistance.

Please include overall fruit quality, flavor and production in the criteria as possible.

All input is appreciated. 

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
Re: Best MBBS resistant varieties
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »
Resistance depends on your micro climate, pest management, tree shape, and overall tree health. What does well in one area might struggle somewhere else.

Fruit quality, flavor, and production are also dependent on how well you take care of your tree, but they're also influenced by the weather for that year.

sammmy

• SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 01:20:35 AM »
So both flavor and MBBS resistance are mainly a function of climate and weather with no role for variety?  That seems like nonsense.

Walter Zill had his LZ get hammered with MBBS while other varieties are relatively unscathed in the exact same climate. ZHPP stopped propagating LZ because it is so disease prone.

And you can imagine circumstances whereby Tommy Atkins is going to taste better than Sweet Tart?

Like all other living things, mango varieties have genetic factors that influence characteristics - in this case flavor, production and disease resistance.

I believe Cookie Jeff and Alex Squam may have some specific insights in this matter.  Any notions about which top varieties show the best MBBS resistance? Which besides LZ the worst?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 08:09:58 AM »
As far as I can tell from his website (tropicalacresfarms.com), Alex is evaluating mango varieties as to disease resistance, including MBBS.  Also, he has been eliminating varieties from his groves because of disease susceptibility.
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 08:36:40 AM »
As far as I can tell from his website (tropicalacresfarms.com), Alex is evaluating mango varieties as to disease resistance, including MBBS.  Also, he has been eliminating varieties from his groves because of disease susceptibility.

+1

This would be your best source.
No quick and fast list as far as I know but the info is there.

If you do happen to make one I'm sure everyone would appreciate if you post it.