Author Topic: Where to obtain Mango Rootstock?  (Read 1554 times)

Cephalotus

• NYC
    • View Profile
Where to obtain Mango Rootstock?
« on: June 17, 2020, 01:55:57 PM »
I’d like to try grafting by buying some different variety mango scions online, but I obviously need to have rootstocks first to do it. Is there any place one can buy seed of polyembryonic mangos known to be good for using as root stock? Thanks!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Where to obtain Mango Rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 02:19:55 PM »
If you just need rootstocks to practice grafting on, Monoembryonic seedlings will have a thicker stalk upon sprouting and you can easily perform epicotyl grafts on recently sprouted seedlings.

The benefits of Polyembryonic seedlings is that you don’t have to graft them, if you select the clone.

The second benefit is uniformity in rootstocks if you are able to select the clone.

Simon

Cephalotus

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 02:49:28 PM »
If you just need rootstocks to practice grafting on, Monoembryonic seedlings will have a thicker stalk upon sprouting and you can easily perform epicotyl grafts on recently sprouted seedlings.

The benefits of Polyembryonic seedlings is that you don’t have to graft them, if you select the clone.

The second benefit is uniformity in rootstocks if you are able to select the clone.

Simon

I thought certain polyembryonic varieties such as Turpentine were better to use as root stock. You’re saying I should just go to the supermarket and buy a mango to grow it’s seed? Any variety in particular that’s better than the other?

Cephalotus

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
Bump, curious to know if a certain type of supermarket mango is better than another to use as rootstock for grafts

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 06:00:59 PM »
Go buy a tree and get scions to graft.
You don't need to wait.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 06:08:58 PM »
Yes, certain varieties may be better for rootstocks for specific situations but since you’re in NYC, the benefits of the Turpentine rootstock may not be applicable to your growing situation.

Since you mentioned you wanted practice on grafting, Monoembryonic seeds generally have a thicker stalk upon sprouting so you won’t have to wait as long to begin practicing. Whichever type of seedlings you decide to use, just know that young seedlings are extremely tender and fragile.

They are very juicy and soft like a bean sprout.

If you go to the supermarket to pick up fresh fruit, make sure they are not irradiated. Hot water treated Mangos will sprout but irradiated fruit will not sprout, at least they haven’t for me.

I like to use Kent, Haden. Tommy Atkins or any other Monoembryonic varieties other than Keitt and Julie which tends to grow very slow for me.

Here is a link to more information on Mango rootstocks in case you’re interested
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20816.0

Simon

Cephalotus

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »
Yes, certain varieties may be better for rootstocks for specific situations but since you’re in NYC, the benefits of the Turpentine rootstock may not be applicable to your growing situation.

Since you mentioned you wanted practice on grafting, Monoembryonic seeds generally have a thicker stalk upon sprouting so you won’t have to wait as long to begin practicing. Whichever type of seedlings you decide to use, just know that young seedlings are extremely tender and fragile.

If you go to the supermarket to pick up fresh fruit, make sure they are not irradiated. Hot water treated Mangos will sprout but irradiated fruit will not sprout, at least they haven’t for me.

I like to use Kent, Haden. Tommy Atkins or any other Monoembryonic varieties other than Keitt and Julie which tends to grow very slow for me.

Here is a link to more information on Mango rootstocks in case you’re interested

Simon

Thank you for the detailed reply. I am going to be growing mainly dwarf varieties all indoors in case it makes a difference.

At the supermarket I tend to see mainly two varieties, big rounder mangos that are red/yellow/green and are more fibrous and the smaller, and narrower yellow ones which are creamier and fiberless. Would you happen to know which varieties these are? Also, is there a way to tell if mangos have been irritated?

Many thanks!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 07:48:33 PM »

Simon

Thank you for the detailed reply. I am going to be growing mainly dwarf varieties all indoors in case it makes a difference.

At the supermarket I tend to see mainly two varieties, big rounder mangos that are red/yellow/green and are more fibrous and the smaller, and narrower yellow ones which are creamier and fiberless. Would you happen to know which varieties these are? Also, is there a way to tell if mangos have been irritated?

Many thanks!

The green and yellow and red mangoes are most likely tommy and the yellow ones are atauflo mangoes. I always check the box to see where they are from and what mango variety it is. All of the mangoes I have seen at the store are hot water treated. That way I don't end up with a box of tommy because they taste like a.... ;D

Cephalotus

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 08:06:27 PM »

Simon

Many thanks!

The green and yellow and red mangoes are most likely tommy and the yellow ones are atauflo mangoes. I always check the box to see where they are from and what mango variety it is. All of the mangoes I have seen at the store are hot water treated. That way I don't end up with a box of tommy because they taste like a.... ;D

Makes sense that they would all be treated. Tommy’s do taste pretty bad in my opinion too, lol. I know for a fact however that I’ve gotten seed from grocery store mangos to germinate before, so maybe the hot water treatment doesn’t kill all seeds. Do either Tommy’s or atauflos make for good root stock or should I not even bother?

PersephonesChild

• Bakersfield, California: Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 10:35:14 PM »
I don't know about other states, but all the Tommy and Autalfo seeds I've tried here grew totally fine. I've got a bunch started now (Tommy for practice, Autalfo for serious use since I hear it's a good stock for my area). All dozen-odd seeds are rooting fine.

I think a lot of folks would be shocked to learn how many trees could be grown from the grocer's isles.
Cheers-
Cris

Cephalotus

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 12:13:10 AM »
I don't know about other states, but all the Tommy and Autalfo seeds I've tried here grew totally fine. I've got a bunch started now (Tommy for practice, Autalfo for serious use since I hear it's a good stock for my area). All dozen-odd seeds are rooting fine.

I think a lot of folks would be shocked to learn how many trees could be grown from the grocer's isles.

Fantastic, thanks for the info. I will be giving it a try

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk