Author Topic: Po Pyu Kalay aka lemon meringue mango photos  (Read 26202 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Po Pyu Kalay aka lemon meringue mango photos
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »
Ohh boy. Just wait until you try the lemon zest. It's 4 times larger, creamier, and even better tasting !!

I ate a tree ripened PPK from my in-laws tree this afternoon.  The tree is about 4 years old and about 10 feet tall.  It is currently holding about 20 mango's.

This was the first PPK I have tasted. As most have said here, it is an very, very good mango. Better than I had even expected, I have to add it to my list of favorites  ;D
Jeff  :-)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
I had my first lemon meringue mango yesterday when I bought my plant from Zill's and I have to say it is on the top of my list. I really hope my tree puts some out next year. Definitely the creamiest mango I've ever tried with strong lemony flavor.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 02:40:02 PM »
I went to Excalibur yesterday and they had a ton of 'Lemon Meringue' fruit for sale. I ended up buying about 20 of the LM and a few of the others. I gave them all mostly away to family and just kept a few for my wife. They were pretty good. I think they still should have a bunch left if anyone is interested in trying the LM. They had about 2 more trays full of the LM's and about 400 mangos of other cultivars available. It's $2 a lb for the mangos.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:41:58 PM by murahilin »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 09:05:47 PM »
And at Truly Tropical, 2750 Seacrest Blvd, Delray Beach,where those boxes of fruit came from, the price is the same, $2 a pound, but only open Saturday 9-12, and Wednesday 4:30-5:30.  So whichever is closer.... 

The mango harvest, most varieties, at Truly Tropical has been amazingly early this year.  When the harvest is running out of steam there, then Excalibur's harvest will come in strong at the normal, or slightly late, time.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
I suggest making a lemon merengue pie with a lemon merengue mango. That way when you told  people  you made a lemom merengue lemon merengue pie they would think you are stuttering.  ;)
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »
I suggest making a lemon merengue pie with a lemon merengue mango. That way when you told  people  you made a lemom merengue lemon merengue pie they would think you are stuttering.  ;)
-1  :-[
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09:55 PM »
I bought a bunch of these home and the family really liked them..my husband's daughter calls them
Po Po mangos.....from where she lives ( the glades) that means "police " mangos!

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2022, 07:05:46 PM »

I wonder what happened in the last 10 years besides inflation.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2022, 02:26:38 PM »
Lemon Meringue has become very popular. Popular enough that I can easily sell more than 3 trees worth. I'm top working 5 older Haden trees and grafting some seedlings to PPK this summer I have room for seven more trees.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2022, 08:59:48 PM »
I picked about 20 PPK today.  They had turned a very light green, and a few were partially yellow.  They mostly detached easily but still squirted sap. When they turn totally yellow on the tree, they don't drip sap.  I had to take advantage of the opportunity to pick them today from a friend's tree, so I hope they'll all ripen fine.
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk