Author Topic: Bees pollinating dragonfruit  (Read 850 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Bees pollinating dragonfruit
« on: December 12, 2017, 03:46:00 AM »
Has anyone noticed their Dragonfruit flowers opening slightly in the early afternoon, just enough to allow access for bees? This has been happening here for the last couple of days and by the time I go out to collect pollen when the flower is fully open, there is no pollen left!
The bees have to crawl through the opening and across the stamen, so hopefully they have paid a visit to different varieties, in order to cross pollinate.
I couldn’t upload a video but it’s on my instagram for those who are interested, #lockyervalleydragonfruit.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:54:15 AM by Rannman »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: Bees pollinating dragonfruit
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
Yes they do that, we now have a few ixora coccinea flowerplants and soo many bee's all day every day....especial the orange flowers. Looks very nice , so if you need more bee's you can plant this. This is the big leaf variety, not small one.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Bees pollinating dragonfruit
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:47:51 AM »
That happens to my DF all the time. Sometimes you will also notice that DF flowers won’t produce pollen on the stamens when it’s too early or too late in season. You will still see a little bulge at the top of the stamens but no powder comes off.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk