Author Topic: How do you water your in-ground mango trees?  (Read 1310 times)

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
How do you water your in-ground mango trees?
« on: June 16, 2020, 01:09:40 PM »
I have recently planted couple mango trees in the ground and was wondering what would be that best way to water them?

I have a drip system in place which uses netafim 1/2" dripline with pressure regulated emitters every 12 inches.  For most of the trees, I make a circle of dripline around the base of the tree.  However, for smaller tree/plants it is difficult to make the circle without kinking the drip line.   

I use Rain Bird Micro-Bubblers in my potted plants but the problem is their twist cap tends to becomes either loose or too tight overtime making water flow inconsistent. I have also used spot spitters but they keep popping out of the 1/8" tubing especially when the weather is hot.

Looking at the pictures posted in the forum, it seems that many people use micro-sprinklers. Can people who use micro-sprinklers provide information about which one they use and how well do they work for them.

Thank you
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 02:52:18 PM by Malhar »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: How do you water your in-ground mango trees?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 01:22:57 PM »
I'm doing the same (for the in-ground trees), and it works well.
You don't need all the line in place at the start, as you can add line/emitters later with a coupling.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
With two trees you can just hand water them.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »
I use micro spray drips on all my mangoes, depending on size I have either 2 or 3. I water deeply 3 times a week.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 04:13:03 PM »
Minus a nice watering system you can always take a plastic one gallon water jug. Or maybe milk came in it? One pin hole at the bottom and this will drip irrigate a new fruit tree. All kinds of other plastic containers can be used the same way. New fruit trees. At least hit them with garden hose every second day. And of course they are wood chip mulched 3" deep to bank the water.

"Water is your best fertilizer"  --  Harry Hausman/ The long time, decades in the making, mango guru who used to post here. He had 118 different mango varieties planted. Lol now full time >>>>

Pembroke Pines Ticket Defense Attorney | Pembroke Pines ...
florida-ticket-defense.com
Harry M. Hausman, managing partner and owner of Pines Ticket Defense, LLC has over thirty years of experience handling accident and injury cases. If you have any accident and injury case which you feel happened as the result of someone else’s negligence, you …
Suspended Licences · Fort Lauderdale Traffic Violations Defense Attorney · Red Light Ticket

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 04:54:46 PM »
Looking at the pictures posted in the forum, it seems that many people use micro-sprinklers. Can people who use micro-sprinklers provide information about which one they use and how well do they work for them.
Thank you

Check out the Antelco line of rotor sprays. The vari- rotor offers a control valve on each rotor for infinite control.
The sprayers thread onto plastic extension risers 6-18 inches tall, the risers plug directly into main vinyl tubing.
I support the riser using tywraps to 2 ft long pieces of 9 gauge galvanized high tensile wire normally used at the bottom of chain link fencing. The orifices seldom clog.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 01:10:55 AM »
I use micro spray drips on all my mangoes, depending on size I have either 2 or 3. I water deeply 3 times a week.

Thanks for responding.

Which brand/model do you use? 

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 01:38:29 AM »
Brad Spaugh

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »
Minus a nice watering system you can always take a plastic one gallon water jug. Or maybe milk came in it? One pin hole at the bottom and this will drip irrigate a new fruit tree. All kinds of other plastic containers can be used the same way. New fruit trees. At least hit them with garden hose every second day. And of course they are wood chip mulched 3" deep to bank the water.

"Water is your best fertilizer"  --  Harry Hausman/ The long time, decades in the making, mango guru who used to post here. He had 118 different mango varieties planted. Lol now full time >>>>

Pembroke Pines Ticket Defense Attorney | Pembroke Pines ...
florida-ticket-defense.com
Harry M. Hausman, managing partner and owner of Pines Ticket Defense, LLC has over thirty years of experience handling accident and injury cases. If you have any accident and injury case which you feel happened as the result of someone else’s negligence, you …
Suspended Licences · Fort Lauderdale Traffic Violations Defense Attorney · Red Light Ticket

Damn! Is this for real?

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 06:44:36 PM »
I go to the well pump, turn it on, grab the hose and wet the trees
Joe