Author Topic: Garcinia spacing  (Read 1166 times)

echinopora

• View Profile
Garcinia spacing
« on: October 31, 2015, 07:16:25 AM »
I'm putting some garcinias into the ground, but haven't been able to find much info on how much room people are giving lucs and achachairu.  I know they can both become large trees but for back yard culture what do you think. I have north/south rows 6m apart. The area I have left is 18m long with an avocado to the south and the property boundary (faces an open field) to the north, (in oz so sun from the north). I can do 4 trees on 4.3m centers or 5 at 3.4. I imagine at 3.4 they would end up being a bit of a hedge. I wouldn't mind them growing together as it would give the yard some privacy. Any thoughts? Ideally I would like to fit 2 lucs, an achachairu and leave a pair of spaces in case I ever find some sweets.

Rob

sclateria

• Mato Grosso, Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia spacing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:50:42 PM »
Reviving this old topic, rather than starting a new one. I hope the OP doesn't mind!

I'm thinking about doing the same thing here where we live in central Brazil. We're finishing our house and have just a perimeter fence, but now the neighbours are building in a location where they'll have an unobstructed view of the main bedroom. My wife is a bit concerned.

I have some young trees planted about 3m from the fence, evenly spaced about 5 metres apart (cashew, Brazilian pepper tree, and some others). I have 4 or 5 Garcinias that need to be planted (all between 2 and 4 feet tall)... could I squeeze these in between the others, slightly offset, to create the hedge she's looking for? The trees I have are either G. brasiliensis or gardneriana.

echinopora, did you end up trying growing them together?

Thanks!
Brad

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Garcinia spacing
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 10:31:28 PM »
Achachariu and Luc's have different aspects in my experience.  On my farm Luc's has a rather steep pyramid shape with very dense branching.  Achachariu on the other hand tends to be wider than it is taller.  I have some achachariu planted at 10m spacing that the branches are now crossing after about 20 years.  My Luc's are not nearly that old but could probably be planted at 6m and still get some light on their sides but it’s hard to be sure.
Peter