Author Topic: Garcinia:s in south of europe  (Read 2719 times)

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
Garcinia:s in south of europe
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »
Hi.

Im spending my days dreaming of knew plants and Im planning to make a order. I ordered before from fruitlovers and I think they still got some things I want. But I was hoping to have some more info about Garcinia. Im thinking of Bolivian mangosteen, gamboge, imbe and other Garcinia. But also of Abiu, bilimibi and similar hardiness.

I tell you what work and what dont. I had 1 Imbe coming and it grew slow but it looked alright, It died this winter. Could have been of bad care because it wasnt me. But i also had cashew. They sprouted nice but then i blew some in bad handling. One survived that but also died in the winter. I have some papayas and some died and some survived. They hardly grow anything unless i have them behind some glas. I have mangos, bananas avocados and they all look happy. We didnt see any frost here but its very close and the climate in south of portugal is still very cold in the winter. I also have some jakfruit that survived and icecream-bean, jaboticaba and also jacana. Some of those individuals died and some look half-dead so I guess the winter is very hard here for many plants. I also have a lot of anonas popping up in the compost and i put them in pots. This winter killed half of them but I guess they are also more sensitive when they are young.

Im not afraid of spending some money on a experiment. I just want to do it a little bit proper ;) and I also saw that my shoping bag grew big and i dont know if i will have pots for all his stufff :) So. Help me concentrate on what will likely work in south of europe.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia:s in south of europe
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »
Olá amigo! Hi! I have some on the ground and are great! Inga vulpina, some campomanesias, two jaboticabas, cambucá, grumixama, and eugenia involucrata. What died this winter was the two mangos, two lychees and two cherimoyas. We can change some ideas!  ;D

frukt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 04:52:03 AM »
Hola amigo :) That was interesting to hear and im very thankful for that info. Then it seems like i should experiment a lot more. But to many seeds in one time and i get confused :)

I havent been hanging here for to long but it seems to be few growers from south of europe. Is it because of the language?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:15 AM »
Hola amigo :) That was interesting to hear and im very thankful for that info. Then it seems like i should experiment a lot more. But to many seeds in one time and i get confused :)

I havent been hanging here for to long but it seems to be few growers from south of europe. Is it because of the language?
Hi! In the fórum we are 4 with you from Portugal mainland and two from Madeira Island. I think people here don't see tropicals as a chance due weather...  ;)

frukt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »
Many boring fruit-ideas in portugal :( almond, lemon and fig. Or even better; only potatoes ;) Our place had some fruittrees already, mostly lemons so now im looking for that miracale plant to be able to eat them. hehe

Good to know some fruit-friends in the country. Together we are gonna plant some trees.... :)

I will keep posting my experiments!

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 08:45:24 AM »
Many boring fruit-ideas in portugal :( almond, lemon and fig. Or even better; only potatoes ;) Our place had some fruittrees already, mostly lemons so now im looking for that miracale plant to be able to eat them. hehe

Good to know some fruit-friends in the country. Together we are gonna plant some trees.... :)

I will keep posting my experiments!
Hi! Me, Miguel and Sergio we have posts of our trees with photos...

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 03:41:50 AM »
Hello Frukt

Welcome to the forum... we really need more Portuguese fools here!

IMHO the Garcinia sp. to try in Portugal (with real chances to resist our winters and fruit someday) is a recently discovered species from México named after his founder... the name is Garcinia vleerakii I think!

Take care and enjoy the Algarve sun!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:18:58 AM by Miguel.pt »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 06:13:38 AM »
I would guess of the garcinias the most hardy would be the achachairu and Luc's Mexican garcinia. Some other hardy ones to consider are gamboge (aka false mangosteen) Garcinia xanthochymus, and lemon drop mangosteen, Garcinia intermedia.
With other genus you should focus on ones native to cooler areas of origin, like eugenias originating in southern Brazil, northern Argentina and Uruguay. With Asian species focus on ones originating on mainland China, like kwai muk (Artocarpus  hypargyraeus) and nanchuan (Artocarpus nanchuanensis).
Oscar

frukt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:56:21 AM »
Im so glad to hear all the information. Your words are gold!

Thanks for the warm welcoming! Im actually not portuguese but swedish. But its to cold there and Im enjoying the algarve sun full time now :)

I will look at your posts and try to catch up on old posts, looking at your beautiful trees.

big thx :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk