Author Topic: suggestions for a good avocado that would go well with reed cocktail tree?  (Read 2840 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
only have 1 space for an avocado tree and I love reed but I want to prolong my avocado season a bit?  I love the way reed taste and I like that they aren't too vigorous I like sir prize too but heard it's extremely vigorous.   Thanks for the input in advance

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
I'm no avocado expert, but since no one else is helping you... Maybe Holiday?  It's a smaller tree.  Not sure about season though.  There are so many good varieties, it really depends on what you like and more importantly what your growing conditions are like.  I think GEM was supposed to be pretty good as well and be a smaller tree, but you'll need to double check.  The season for GEM is supposed to be different from Reed.

I just planted:
Reed
Pinkerton
Sir Prize
GEM
Holiday
Fantastic

The Fantastic was on clearance at the end of the year at Lowes and I could help myself.  I don't know much about it yet, so couldn't recommend.  The other ones seemed to have a lot of good reviews.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Gwen? Small tree, I think.  Isn't that the favorite of Will Brokaw?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:05:40 PM by johnb51 »
John

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Gwen? Small tree, I think.  Isn't that the favorite of Rob Brokaw?

Yes, and the one I have is loaded.  It tends to over produce and is a weak, slow grower as opposed to Reed which is a beast.  Sir Prize and Ardith are vigorous too.

Hate to be the deal killer but a lot of Texans get suckered into those nasty Tex-Mex varieties like Fantastic.  Be prepared to use it as rootstock.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I see Reed described as "slender," "upright," and "erect."  Boxturtle says it's "not too vigorous." Mark, you say it's a "beast." ???
John

boxturtle

• View Profile
from the tag and from what I read from old threads it only gets about 10 to 15ft tall and is wider....maybe through pruning?  I just bought mine so no prior experience with the tree

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Reed grows pretty fast.  Definitely will get way larger than 10 to 15ft if you let it.  They do grow upright though. 
Brad Spaugh

boxturtle

• View Profile
thanks

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
I'm no avocado expert, but since no one else is helping you... Maybe Holiday?  It's a smaller tree.  Not sure about season though.  There are so many good varieties, it really depends on what you like and more importantly what your growing conditions are like.  I think GEM was supposed to be pretty good as well and be a smaller tree, but you'll need to double check.  The season for GEM is supposed to be different from Reed.

I just planted:
Reed
Pinkerton
Sir Prize
GEM
Holiday
Fantastic

The Fantastic was on clearance at the end of the year at Lowes and I could help myself.  I don't know much about it yet, so couldn't recommend.  The other ones seemed to have a lot of good reviews.

Where did you find a Holiday avo for sale?

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile

I just planted:
Reed
Pinkerton
Sir Prize
GEM
Holiday
Fantastic

Where did you find a Holiday avo for sale?

Lol...believe it or not, I have a super-secret source:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grafted-Holiday-avocado-fruitree-3-4-ft-tall-/322360848461
I got all of my avocados from that seller except the Fantastic.  The tag on my Pinkerton said "Durlings Nursery", but not sure if they all originated from there.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
You can get about any variety you want from The Collection, Dr. Mary Lu Arpaia's group at the U.C.R.  Julie Frink is curator.  Here's just one of a couple I've received.  The cold hardy ones, Stewart, Bacon and Zutano went to a fella in Houston for outdoor plantings.

Scions are free but they will ONLY ship FedX, your cost which if by air is high as hell albeit lower than ebay trees.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:55:12 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
I see Reed described as "slender," "upright," and "erect."  Boxturtle says it's "not too vigorous." Mark, you say it's a "beast." ???

I've given this 10' tall Reed a haircut quite a few times.  It really went weird on me the first time I topped it 3 years ago.  Ended up in a perfect football goal post profile.  I'm training a shoot to fill in the middle.

Just took this shot of the Reed in the background.  Tree looks pretty bare now having just set a heavy fruit load, is dropping old leaves and putting on a new flush.  Gwen is foreground left, Lemon Zest to its right and just now flushing well too.  Spring comes late in the hill country.

Even now, 14 mos. from last year's bloom set, the fruit off the Reed is amazing.   Can't imagine how rich it's gonna get with a few more months of hang time.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:55:35 AM by Mark in Texas »

boxturtle

• View Profile

I've given this 10' tall Reed a haircut quite a few times.  It really went weird on me the first time I topped it 3 years ago.  Ended up in a perfect football goal post profile.  I'm training a shoot to fill in the middle.

Just took this shot of the Reed in the background.  Tree looks pretty bare now having just set a heavy fruit load, is dropping old leaves and putting on a new flush.  Gwen is foreground left, Lemon Zest to its right and just now flushing well too.  Spring comes late in the hill country.

Even now, 14 mos. from last year's bloom set, the fruit off the Reed is amazing.   Can't imagine how rich it's gonna get with a few more months of hang time.

love your greenhouse one of these days I want one too :) lol is there something wrong with me when I scroll down images in postimage and get disappointed seeing that Russian girlfriend ad instead of more fruit tree photos :p also thanks for the scion source good to know

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
love your greenhouse one of these days I want one too :) lol is there something wrong with me when I scroll down images in postimage and get disappointed seeing that Russian girlfriend ad instead of more fruit tree photos :p also thanks for the scion source good to know

So you've been "colluding" with them Russians again, eh?  8)

Curious, why would you need a greenhouse in Orange Co.?  We'd kill for that nice climate.

boxturtle

• View Profile

So you've been "colluding" with them Russians again, eh?  8)

Curious, why would you need a greenhouse in Orange Co.?  We'd kill for that nice climate.

mangosteen and durian :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk