Author Topic: Record buck farms  (Read 3751 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Record buck farms
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »
Recently, I have finally found a vendor for citrus up in the north woods of Wisconsin! To my luck, it was a buy one get one. So you know how that went... my question is, are all of record buck farms citrus rooted? I can see how the Meyer and calamondin are, but can’t imagine grapefruit and kumquats being sold as rooted plants. There’s no graft junction to be seen. Can’t seem to find any info on them!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:20:03 PM by franklazar26 »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Record buck farms
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 10:05:32 PM »
I recognize those tags. I am not sure who the grower/wholesaler is but I see these same trees at home depot, walmart, lowes and such near me.  They have tags that say mycitrustree.com, right?   And that site doesnt have any info about grower or rootstock.

Yes, the limes lemons and calomondins look like rooted cuttings.  I too assume a grapefruit must be grafted.  Maybe if it is budded early the graft line is hard to see?  i dunno

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 11:27:59 PM »
I have had really bad luck with their trees.I will no longer buy them.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 11:38:23 PM »
Record Buck is a Florida grower and as such must place the rootstock on the tag, if there is one.  The small pots they sell are cutting grown, including grapefruit.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 06:41:19 AM »
So far, I’ve had great luck with their trees! I enjoy them. But yes, I would think they’d have to be grafted, however I can’t find anything resembling a junction. That’s very odd to have kumquats and grapefruits rooted. Very interesting anyways. It states that I can keep them in this small pot for their life. I checked all tags, no rootstock listed.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:36:40 AM »
The ones I got were fine.  They certainly won’t stay in that pot for life, unless their life is one year long :P

DaveinNoVA

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Broadleaf Evergreens for the Mid Atlantic
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 09:45:10 AM »
I think all the Record Buck Farms citrus are rooted. Nothing wrong with that if you are just growing them in a container and not in the ground.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 10:02:54 AM »
That’s true! It’s just hard to fathom their selection that’s rooted! Different types of oranges, grapefruits, and kumquats. Which are nearly impossible for me to root myself haha.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 12:39:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure my nordmann kumquat cutting rooted, first try with kumquts.  It is growing though it is possible it is running only on stored energy.

I accidently broke off a small fukushu twig the other day, so I'm trying to root that now also.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 12:51:32 PM »
I am currently trying grapefruit, calamondins, several lemons and limes, and variegated kumquat, and a fukushu. They all seemed to already flush out in foliage within a week. I just always have a hard time rooting anything other than lemons haha.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 01:39:01 PM »
Flushing a cutting's foliage depletes stem reserves.  Plants need and seek root/foliage balance. A plant with foliage removed, ideally will replace foliage as a response, not root initiation. Likewise loss of roots ideally will be followed by new root generation. Reducing stem temperatures, while maintaining root warmth is one path toward initiating new root development .
I rooted many woody plants in the past. The plants were maintained under shade cloth, with about 50% of the foliage removed to reduce transpiration. Additionally the cuttings were automatically, periodically misted/fogged to cool the stems and retain turgor.

Woody plants differ in rootability by season, by species and cultivar, by degree of lignification (maturity within season), by rooting hormone dosage, by juvenility of propagation materials, and rooting media selected. Mother trees are often deliberately keep in a vegetative state by severe pruning to force new, more easily rooted growth. The base of a cutting (the lowest portion of a flush of growth) has the greatest rooting potential.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:06:56 PM by kumin »

Vespasian

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 09:22:39 PM »
I think all the Record Buck Farms citrus are rooted. Nothing wrong with that if you are just growing them in a container and not in the ground.

All of the trees I got from them were grafted, these were all 15 gallon size trees.

But my luck with their trees has been mixed. The ones that I have had bad luck with took two years to adjust to being in sandy soil rather than the wood mix they use for potting. I think of their trees as crack addicts.. they are so beautiful when you get them from all the chemicals they give them, once they are taken off those drugs they crash pretty hard.

And of course, they will not share how they are feeding them and what they are feeding them with.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »
I can see how that is. The lemon I got totally shed itself and went through major shock. One calamondin I got from them seems to be doing super! Same with a key lime, tons of limes and fruit and new growth with flowers everywhere 2 months after purchase and transplant into a similar woody mix soil. However, I can’t see them supporting so many fruits that they’re trying to put out. I believe mine are rooted cuttings though. Perhaps they are different? Either way, you get what you pay for and these are the cheaper end of citrus buying haha.