Author Topic: Is Vietnamese sugar apple the same tree as Na Dai ?  (Read 5409 times)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Is Vietnamese sugar apple the same tree as Na Dai ?
« on: June 26, 2017, 11:41:17 AM »
    I thought that I might have heard that these two are the same but not sure. I'm looking for clarification before buying both .

William

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Is Vietnamese sugar apple the same tree as Na Dai ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »
Common names are always a crap shoot. Na Dai is a Vietnamese sugar apple. So far it is
the most common one I know of. There are other Vietnamese sugar apples. Can you compare the
trees before you purchase them? I have 4 Na Dai sugar apples that I raised from seedlings. All four
are over 6' and starting to fruit. I keep hearing about Big Red sugar apple and wish I had diversity.
Also many people prefer Atemoya for overall taste. If you have limited space maybe get only one
Vietnamese and explore other options?

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »
    Actually after I posted this question this morning, I got to thinking that I will be in LA this weekend. So I gave Gilbert at mimosa nursery a call to ask if he had Na Dai in stock . Then I asked him about the difference between the two. He told me that their one and the same. He said that  Na  Dai refers to it being a firm flesh fruit. Glad that I thought to ask . Anyway I hope that this helps.

William

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
William,
"na" is a general term that refers to sugar apple/custard apple. "Dai" means chewy.

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »
  Trung

Ok I'm confused now lol . Either way I still want the tree. Gilbert told me that Na Dai and Vietnamese were one and the same. He also said that Na Dai was a firm fleshed fruit. Can anyone else confirm this ? I was going to buy a tree of each to add to my collection but guess I won't have to now. My regular green sugar apple and my kampong mauve are both holding fruit from hand pollination. First sugar apple fruits for me. I'm kinda excited lol.

William

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 11:46:47 PM »
  Trung

Ok I'm confused now lol . Either way I still want the tree. Gilbert told me that Na Dai and Vietnamese were one and the same. He also said that Na Dai was a firm fleshed fruit. Can anyone else confirm this ? I was going to buy a tree of each to add to my collection but guess I won't have to now. My regular green sugar apple and my kampong mauve are both holding fruit from hand pollination. First sugar apple fruits for me. I'm kinda excited lol.

William

There are 2 main kinds of Na in Vietnam I think. Na dai fruit is greener, smoother skin, softer skin when ripe, smaller and more seeds, flesh more chewy, sweeter and longer shelf storage. The other kind of Na fruit tends to be rounder, skin have bigger bumps and softer flesh.

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 01:54:59 AM »
I think Vietnamese is Na Dai aka the chewy one in California at least.  Vietnamese Cherimoya is just a tree that was growing in California and as far as I can tell has nothing to do with Vietnam.

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:36:35 AM »
Na "Dai" - green, softer skin, easier to peel

Na "Bo" - white less green, softer flesh, more "sandy" texture.

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
Thanks for the info. There is a Na Dai for sale on Top Tropical i was wanting to buy. Anyone recommended this from the site?

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 01:28:37 PM »
Since we are on this topic, can someone here confirm or refute that atemoya actually is superior to Na (in taste, texture, size)?

Thanks for the input.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
I prefer atemoyas over sugar apples, even na dai.
I think Lisa atemoya is a bit close to sugar apple it flavor.

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 04:51:54 PM »
never had a chewy and firm sugar apple before.  Can anyone confirm Na Dai here are indeed chewy and firm?  Even when they're over ripe?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »
never had a chewy and firm sugar apple before.  Can anyone confirm Na Dai here are indeed chewy and firm?  Even when they're over ripe?

I had over two dozen Na Dai last year from 4 trees. You could peal them by hand and the texture
was firm. I cut them in chunks which made the seeds come out easier. What a delicious fruit. I got
another unnamed type from the motel in town. The skin did not peal off and I cut it in half and ate
the contents with a spoon. It was equally as tasty as the ones I produced. Both types were seedy

Bluesandy16

• USA HNMRVGEvanston, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 06:27:19 PM »
Has any one heard of the White Giant Sugar Apple? And if so how would you compare the Na Dai to the White Giant Sugar apple? Also does anyone know which country the White Giant is from? Please advise thanks.