Author Topic: how long can soursop stand flooding  (Read 4995 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
how long can soursop stand flooding
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:05:17 AM »
Im making a river path threw my yard to guide water in heavy rainfall and im digging a 3 foot hole sloping to act as a break and was thinking it would be good for a soursop as it will stay warmer and i remember reading it can withstand flooding, so since its all free draining the second it stops raining im wondering in heavy rainfall when the hole fills with water could the soursop stand a few days or up to a week flooded.

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
Re: how long can soursop stand flooding
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »
Up to a week flooded is probably not a good idea for any non aquatic tree. I do know they are pretty drought tolerant, not sure how much wet feet they can stand but probably plant it on a mound so that if it does flood around that area it drains well.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »
I read they grow by rivers in some places so i figure it might handle at least a couple days submerged. anyone have theirs underwater in a heavy rain for a couple days.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »
Found this and thought i'd post it here to add to Jordan side
http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1998-vol-111/317-319%20(NUNEZ-ELISEA).pdf

Going to fill up the canal bank with soursops now  8)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 03:56:13 PM »
That is an interesting study above. But still, I would think there are plenty of other fruiting species which might be a better choice for flooding and riverbank conditions. Bananas, Acai, and Mangosteen are things I would have thought of first (although I don't know if you have any temp concerns for some of these)...

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 04:13:28 PM »
I was originally thinking bananas, but if i can get a few trees there instead that would be nice.

Didn't want put jabos and other tress with small fruits there because that part of my yard is often neglected so a lot of the fruit would drop and go to waist.

Don't think i can grow mangsteen here

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 04:38:15 PM »
I was originally thinking bananas, but if i can get a few trees there instead that would be nice.

Didn't want put jabos and other tress with small fruits there because that part of my yard is often neglected so a lot of the fruit would drop and go to waist.

Well, you can grow it. Getting it to fruit is another story. There is a backyard grower in Bokeelia, FL who has a tree that has been in the ground for years now and supposedly looks good but no luck on flowers/fruits as of yet. I have not actually seen this tree with my own eyes but Steve at Fruitscapes has.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 05:11:09 PM »

Well, if it's a big enough area, hopefully you can grow a few different species. It's good to know though that it sounds like guanabana can be one of them without too much worry of death by proximity. I don't read the whole study though - if they are inundated with water for long periods of time, does that dramatically lower their fruit set? Because there is a difference between surviving, and actually being healthy. Just like many plants can die back from a freeze and still live, but still they may take a long time to recover.

Oh, that makes me think - have you grown guanabana/soursop elsewhere in your yard before? Because if temps are a problem for mangosteen, they're likely to be a problem for the guanabana too! They really don't seem to like temps below 55F. All the more so if they're sitting in water that is around freezing level. Just another thought to consider...

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 06:57:05 PM »
Not too sure about the temps but in my experience Guanabana can tolerate temporary flooding.  I hear that some professional plantain growers in areas that can flood here are going over to cacao as it withstands flooding better than bananas.  Obviously pachira and acai.
Peter

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 10:31:05 PM »
I planted 2 banana varieties, a seedling soursop, and a seedling rollinia all as an experiment in a low lying summer flooding area by lake shore. I Have witnessed over a week to 2 weeks flooded on all of the above, no issues. Just my observation, also have seen jackfruit, grumichama, icecream bean, custard apple, and jabaticaba all exposed to the same conditions at a slightly higher elevation but ground saturation would still be flooded. None of these are mature plants but have been growing for years. I will post photos as yearly flooding takes place. I expected die off but had extra plants, so far so good.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 12:40:09 AM »
Alright Thank you for that link sayyid, Good to confirm  8)

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 07:31:37 AM »
I am growing some of mine in two different hydroponic techniques. One is sitting in water until the tray dries then refills and the other is in hydro clay balls that has a stream of water pumped into the pot at 15 minute intervals. Both techniques are showing more vigorous growth than the others in the ground and soil pots.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 08:12:38 AM »

Your soil composition will be a bigger factor than the climate.
- Rob

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »

Your soil composition will be a bigger factor than the climate.

It seems like a lot of tropical don't like the limestone soil. How do you think it would fair in the sands of boyton?

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 10:09:24 PM »
Some very interesting anecdotal evidence listed so far in this thread! I would love to see the results of more experimentation by individuals here!

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 11:37:30 PM »
For me space is the biggest factor. If I had an acre I wouldn't mind experimenting with a few different ones.
I found out about the world of garcinias too late it my planting. Good thing a lot of them do well enough in the shade to justify planting

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk