Author Topic: sapote trees  (Read 6670 times)

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Re: sapote trees
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 02:52:59 AM »
Hey Hana, If you're still interested I can get the "Vietnam" discount- Shhhh....(my wife.) I have bought thousands of $ worth of trees so its all good. Let me know when/if you want to go over there. I'm like, 25-30 mins south of there. Chris
-Chris

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
Be certain to read the small print on HD fruit trees.  Labeling a white sapote tree "Vernon" when it is in fact a seedling will not get you the desired results.  HD sells "Cate" macadamia trees from Laverne that are labelled "Cate", but are seedlings of Cate and that fact is written in small print on the label.  You won't get "Cate" characteristics from a seedling if only one parent is Cate. 

Plant a white sapote seed and graft it over to the true variety you want from a reliable source.  White sapotes are easy to graft and you can have a tree with many varieties grafted on it.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »
Be certain to read the small print on HD fruit trees.  Labeling a white sapote tree "Vernon" when it is in fact a seedling will not get you the desired results.  HD sells "Cate" macadamia trees from Laverne that are labelled "Cate", but are seedlings of Cate and that fact is written in small print on the label.  You won't get "Cate" characteristics from a seedling if only one parent is Cate. 

Plant a white sapote seed and graft it over to the true variety you want from a reliable source.  White sapotes are easy to graft and you can have a tree with many varieties grafted on it.

I should have my head examined. I knew Laverne sold "Manilla" mango seedlings, it didn't even dawn on me to think the rest of their "cultivars" are seedlings too. I bought 2 WS from Mimosa last year, but they were from Laverne too. I just bought a Vernon from HD on Friday. I'm going to have to see if I can find a graft point and see if the label has the fine print you talk about. I ordered some Big Jim loquats too. These seedlings as well?  :-\ Oh well, live and learn. I'll be returning the HD one if it's a seedling.

Edit: Just called Laverne. The lady said all their trees are grafted, including the WS and loquats, except for a few exceptions. She says all their mangos are grafted except for the manilla. I could have sworn the graft line was easily visible but you had me doubting myself.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:26:48 PM by WaterFowler »

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »
Maybe you were looking at a larger size?

99% of the trees typically have a tag with a price on it, marked on the pot or has a picket with the pricing.
If not priced, it may be the only one left. Search within the vicinity to verify.
I've never had an issue with their pricing, during their sales it's usually much less than the marked prices.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk