Author Topic: Lara Farms tree source  (Read 1413 times)

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Lara Farms tree source
« on: March 12, 2022, 09:07:27 AM »
Based on TFF member Kona Fruit Farm's posting on Lara Farms, I ordered two Pickering Mangos from them.  They arrived yesterday from Florida to CA in excellent shape.  1 gallon pots, very well packed, nicely grafted trees.  Good price, reasonable shipping.  I have been planting mangos for a couple of years counting on "global warming" and so far they are doing well.  Many are dwarfs and will remain in 15 gal pots, but half are planted out.  I have plants from other Fla vendors, but am very impressed with price, quality, and packing from Lara Farms.  These 1 gal trees will spend a year or so in the greenhouse before planting out.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Lara Farms tree source
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 11:38:36 AM »
Yes, I'm glad to see Julian doing well. He has some varieties that are hard to find. For example, 7 Sour Sop cultivars. Last week I passed by and picked up two, a Cuban and Whitman Fibreless 3 gallons, absolute beauties, an inch at the base ready to go in the ground. He is shipping to all 50 states, an advantage.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2022, 12:22:49 PM »
Based on your recommendation... I also order a Mango Pickering.

Kevin

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 04:41:39 PM »
Based on recent recommendations I got a Ross Sapote and Canistel Trompo, both 3 gallons. I am very happy with what I got.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 05:00:47 PM »
Is the Lara farms everyone discusses her the one that's 3 miles north of the fruit and spice park?  Stopped by today and besides some beautiful established trees all I saw was a smattering of mango trees all like 20gal.
Shane

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2022, 06:00:35 PM »
I'd been looking for a 'Pickering' for a while now and after seeing today's earlier post about Lara Farms decided to check them out and managed to order one of their grafted ones in a one gallon pot.  Price was reasonable.

Thanx for the heads-up on here . . .   TFF is a great resource!

Paul M.
==

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 07:18:38 PM »
Is the Lara farms everyone discusses her the one that's 3 miles north of the fruit and spice park?  Stopped by today and besides some beautiful established trees all I saw was a smattering of mango trees all like 20gal.
I believe so. I stopped by there a few years ago after looking at the park. Trees were quality and the prices were great.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 08:59:42 PM »
I've gotten a 1 gallon Ross Sapote and a Pace Mamey from Lara Farms. They both arrived in excellent shape.  :)
Alexi

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 09:49:18 PM »

Yes, they have a separate area for smaller trees like 1/3/7gallon.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 04:26:49 PM »

Lots of grafted plants in the shade house.

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 10:23:47 PM »
I also wanted to share that I ordered from Lara Farms after seeing such positive reviews. I am not willing to pay so much for mango trees here in SoCal (sometimes I’ll see prices over $300 for a 15 gallon mango tree but the tree itself is so small) and I do not mind buying smaller trees because I’m playing the long game (don’t mind waiting a while before they’re ready to hold fruit). Anyway, the trees arrived in great condition and are currently acclimating to my yard under the shade. I wanted to share pictures of the shipment in case any one else is looking to purchase from Julian and was curious to see how it all looks. I would recommend Lara Farms to anyone looking for smaller grafted mango trees.

Ryanscion