Author Topic: Arka Puneet, Sindhu, Sonpari, and Neelkiran (Alphonso X Exotic Mangoes)  (Read 10420 times)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Our Sindhu is loaded with developing fruit right now.

Sonpari And Arka Neelkiran have good crops this year also.

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile

How is taste of Sindhu compared to its parent Alphanso?
Is it really a regular bearer?

Squam256

• View Profile

Haven’t tried it yet. It made one mango last year that I didn’t get to try but hopefully will get to have some this season.

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile

Haven’t tried it yet. It made one mango last year that I didn’t get to try but hopefully will get to have some this season.
How old is your Sindhu graft?

Squam256

• View Profile

How old is your Sindhu graft?

It was planted in 2017. Grafted a couple years before that.

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
Re: Arka Puneet, Sindhu, Sonpari, and Neelkiran (Alphonso X Exotic Mangoes)
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2021, 08:18:41 AM »
According to prominant Indian horticulturist Dr. Gunjate,  Sonpari can become one of best commercial variety in western India, konkan.

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2021, 12:19:04 PM »
Any updates?

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2021, 01:57:49 PM »
I live near Burbank, CA. My Sonpari is only 3 ft tall in a pot, but looks healthy and happy. It starts showing some bloom and new growth now.
My friend lives 10 minutes away on 210 freeway has a Sonpari for 6 years in ground, at around 5 ft tall the tree produces 6 to 12 full size fruits each year.
Fruit's quality is excellent.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2021, 07:19:47 PM »
Sindhu held a lot of fruit to maturity. Really good quality , definitely Alphonso- type flavor but also seems prone to rot.

Sonpari had a great year last season. Arka Neelkiran did well also.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:21:30 PM by Squam256 »

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2022, 10:25:15 AM »
One more Alphanso hybrid to be considered is Ratna ( AlphansoXNeelam). It is one of parent of seedless sindhu.
Fruit size around 300 gms. Considered as tastiest mango hybrid in India , fetches better organoleptic score than amrapali or Sindhu.Taste 85% similar to Alphanso. Brix 21-22. Free from Spongy tissue disorder.
Tree is moderate, regular and moderate yielder.
Maturity late hence sometimes fruits damaged by mansoon. It is recommended in western coastal region of India including Goa. It likes hot and humid climate.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:07:07 AM by nileshkwr »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2022, 10:37:44 AM »
One more Alphanso hybrid to be consider is Ratna ( AlphansoXNeelam). It is one on parent of seedless sindhu.
Fruit size around 300 gms. Consider tastiest mango hybrid in India , fetches better organoleptic score than amrapali or Sindhu.Taste 85% similar to Alphanso. Brix 21-22. Free from Spongy tissue disorder.
Maturity late hence sometimes fruits damaged by mansoon. It was recommended in western coastal region including Goa. It likes hot and humid climate.

I don't think that one has made it to America yet.
John

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2022, 12:21:04 PM »
One more Alphanso hybrid to be considered is Ratna ( AlphansoXNeelam). It is one of parent of seedless sindhu.
Fruit size around 300 gms. Considered as tastiest mango hybrid in India , fetches better organoleptic score than amrapali or Sindhu.Taste 85% similar to Alphanso. Brix 21-22. Free from Spongy tissue disorder.
Maturity late hence sometimes fruits damaged by mansoon. It is recommended in western coastal region of India including Goa. It likes hot and humid climate.

Nileshkwr do you know where in India (which part) would be a good place to go to try these mangoes , i mean the ones which are more tolerant to hot and humid climate and tolerate a lot of rainfall. I am visiting this May and would like to get some seeds and scions.

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2022, 01:20:31 PM »

Nileshkwr do you know where in India (which part) would be a good place to go to try these mangoes , i mean the ones which are more tolerant to hot and humid climate and tolerate a lot of rainfall. I am visiting this May and would like to get some seeds and scions.

Indian western coastal region is with climate hot and humid with lot of rain. Coastal districts of Maharashta, karnataka and entire states of Goa and Kerala comes in this belt.
You may get grafted plants of mango and other tropical fruits, spice plants at Vengurle fruit research center. It is near goa airport ( 88 km).
Other research institutes are ICARI - New Delhi, CISH Lakhnow , IIHR Banglore. But these institutes are not in hot and humid regions.
I am not sure if mango hybrids like Ratna , sindhu will give good fruits in other countries with hot and humid climate. Because alphanso grown in only 4 districts of maharashtra tastes good, in other hot and humid part of India alphanso do not produce quality fruits. Alphanso requires laterite soil. And Ratna and sindhu also do well in laterite soil.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2022, 03:37:51 PM »
Thanks. The soil in South FL is not laterite but i was looking at a different place with red iron rich soil, humid and high rainfall area so this info is certainly helpful. My challenge is also that there are not enough chill hours but a drier 2-3 months that triggers flowering in well established trees. I will look into the Vengurle center.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2022, 04:08:22 PM »
Was looking at these as suitable for such climate but i may find many other local champions there that the agriculture center has developed  - Mankurad, Kesar, Mulgova,Vanraj, Pairi. Is  Ratna found  in the town Ratnagiri? Named after the place?  Hope i will find some nurseries there too. 

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2022, 09:15:20 AM »
For red soil, humid and hot climate I will choose alphanso over ratna. Because alphanso is tastier. Alphanso has shelf life of 16 days and ratna of 8 days. Also alphanso is early season while ratna is late season. Only problem with alphanso is spongy tissue disorder. That affects 20-30 % fruits. Ratna fruits are not affected by spongy tissue.

Ratna was devloped by dapoli krushi vidyapeeth and named after Ratnagiri district. But local nurseries dont keep Ratna grafts as farmers prefer alphanso.

So vengurle will be good choice if you want grafts. I heared they sell fruits of different mango cultivars in May.
Otherwise you can get different cultivars fruits in big cities like Mumbai, Delhi by online shopping, big basket, different local websites.

If you are going to vengurle , purchase konkan samrat mango graft  also ( alphanso X tommy atkins).

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2022, 09:54:01 AM »
Thank you for the info. Yes Vengurle sounds right place to visit. Very excited to try all the exotic mangoes. If anybody else here wants to join the adventure please message me.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2022, 10:32:32 AM »
Thank you for the info. Yes Vengurle sounds right place to visit. Very excited to try all the exotic mangoes. If anybody else here wants to join the adventure please message me.
How long will you be in India/Nepal?
John

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2022, 06:19:33 PM »
One more Alphanso hybrid to be consider is Ratna ( AlphansoXNeelam). It is one on parent of seedless sindhu.
Fruit size around 300 gms. Consider tastiest mango hybrid in India , fetches better organoleptic score than amrapali or Sindhu.Taste 85% similar to Alphanso. Brix 21-22. Free from Spongy tissue disorder.
Maturity late hence sometimes fruits damaged by mansoon. It was recommended in western coastal region including Goa. It likes hot and humid climate.

I don't think that one has made it to America yet.

It has. They have (or had) one at Fairchild Farm, though I’ve been told it’s pretty unhealthy.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2022, 08:25:43 PM »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 09:13:22 AM by Satya »

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2022, 09:12:55 AM »
Plan is for three weeks in April in Nepal and two and half weeks in May in India.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2022, 10:48:54 AM »
Plan is for three weeks in April in Nepal and two and half weeks in May in India.
Your trees are going to miss you!  Mangos will start ripening before you get back.
John