Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 628593 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1325 on: January 17, 2017, 11:37:54 PM »
Hey Old Fruit Friends...... it's been several years since I logged on. Life took over when my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and taking care of her until she passed last year left me with little time to engage in my hobbies (even my garden got neglected- Thank God my trees were forgiving).
I finally have time to pay attention!! Lots has happened over the last years... kids have all grown up and graduated college and starting their careers- Empty Nest! (bet they're glad I can't make them help me re-pot big fruit trees anymore) I have cut my hours back at work so I have Mondays and Tuesdays off and I love it. My trees are looking great.... pictures in a yard review to follow. And thanks to messaging pictures to Sheehan...discovered that the 40 foot tall tree that was planted by the previous owner, in my front yard since I bought my house 18 years ago IS A SAPODILLA TREE!!! the fruit are huge and sweet too....bonus!! I'm glad to be back to reconnect.... look for my yard update next Monday.
Cheers
Marin ;D

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 23, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »
Welcome back, Marin, my Deerfield neighbor (except at the opposite end of town).  I was wondering what the heck ever happened to you.  Very sorry to hear about your mother.
John

VUgearhead

• Curiosity killed the vegan
    • South Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 25, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »
Hey all. Just wanted to shout out to everyone. I live in Palm Beach County, FL, not far from Marin (hiya!) for the last 16 years. Not been doing much gardening like I did when I lived in Tennessee, but found TFF when I started trying to revive a near dead mineola tree I planted in my backyard some years ago.

Anyway, wife just gave me the okay to dabble in our small side yard (barely 200 s.f.), so I'm trying to flesh out a tropical fruit forest over there. Papaya and pineapple are definitely on the menu. I plopped a lemon guave from excalibur in the front garden bed, but it's been in a coma since I planted it before Thanksgiving. Thinking about adding a carambola (starfruit) and ascerola (Barbados cherry) tree to the back yard as well. Neighbor across the street has mature dragonfruit in his back yard (a search for which I found this site) which is intriguing. Not sure what else to plant over there, It would have to stay small as the yard is barely 7 foot wide!!
If you can eat it, GROW IT!!

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 29, 2017, 11:16:20 AM »
Hi Folks,
I live in Merritt Island, FL, and I've lurked here on and off over the past year. I grew up in South FL among mango and sapodilla trees, and continue to enjoy both along with several other tropical fruit trees. I also have a palm tree obsession  :P 
Since our recent hurricane, I'm about to rip out some citrus trees that have been languishing. As I'm sure you will understand, I look forward to the new planting opportunity, especially with all the great choices available these days. I'm really glad to have found this great resource. Thanks in advance for all the expert advice. I've learned a lot here already!

yessenia

• Florida West Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: January 30, 2017, 11:00:18 PM »
hello all.
Yessenia in east palm beach county Florida I am a novice but I love mangos  so much that I planted two mango trees a Duncan and a maha channock both grafted and I can't wait to see them start blooming

Annamary

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 31, 2017, 04:56:57 AM »
Hi guys,
I am new here. Glad to see you all here.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 04, 2017, 03:46:31 PM »
Hi guys,
I am new here. Glad to see you all here.

Welcome to TFF, Annamary.
Moh'd

foodrev

• USA SD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 07, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
Hi,

I am an old chef who recognizes nearly all foodstuffs, including exotic fruits. The picture was taken from a vehicle in Thailand or Vietnam (maybe Indonesia?).

I CANNOT find out what this is!!!

It's not durian, nor jackfruit, breadfruit or any other large fruit I am familiar with.

Maybe a mutant pineapple with the tops removed already? How do I post a pix of it?

Thanks for any ideas.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 07, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »
Hi,

I am an old chef who recognizes nearly all foodstuffs, including exotic fruits. The picture was taken from a vehicle in Thailand or Vietnam (maybe Indonesia?).

I CANNOT find out what this is!!!

It's not durian, nor jackfruit, breadfruit or any other large fruit I am familiar with.

Maybe a mutant pineapple with the tops removed already? How do I post a pix of it?

Thanks for any ideas.

There's an "add image to post" function when you make the post.
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 09, 2017, 01:41:09 AM »
I am curious what is it.

Aloha everyone. My wife and I are currently working 4 acres. We plan to have as much biodiversity as possible. Frankie 's gives me faith that I will someday have something like them.

Nice to meet the food family.
Biodiversity is key.

Noni_Jabrone

• Big Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: February 15, 2017, 11:56:58 PM »
Hey,

My name is Justin, and lived in Colorado for many years before recently moving to Kona, HI.  I love tropical fruit and organic farming and am looking forward to trading some sweet seeds!

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:02 AM »
Hello my name is Corey and I live in Lakeland Florida. I moved here one year ago from Michigan and began a project on 2.5 acres growing many varieties of fruit trees and some gardening. We are pushing the limits of our zone but I believe we will be succesful.

norahhosin

• Ireland
    • View Profile
HELLO!
« Reply #1337 on: February 28, 2017, 05:56:53 AM »
Hello guys! I'm new here! I am not very familiar with the whole forum concept. ButI'm still studying it.
Hope to read and learn more.
Have a good day! :)

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 09, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »
Hey Y'all, I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name's Holden and I live in Wilmington, NC, at least for the next few months I do. I love plants and started messing around with cactus and plants when I lived in Managua, Nicaragua in 2012-2013. I grew some mangos from seeds a few years ago, but bought 3 from PIN once I realized I might not even get good fruit, and even then I would have to wait years. I am getting really into this now and will start grafting this year.
My other hobbies include making wooden rings, raising rabbits and poultry, reproducing/growing cactus, working on my car, cooking, biking, researching things that interest me (that's a big one). My wife tells me that my hobby is hobbying.
I look forward to learning more and hopefully contributing to the forum.

cdesousa5

• Pompano Beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 11, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
Hi ,
I was apart of this group years ago and have a little more time on my hands to get back into some gardening. I live in sunny south Florida and love it most of the time and when I can't take the heat any longer I run to my small farm property in upstate NY.   :D Looking forward to gleaning from the volumes of info on this forum.
Carol

norahhosin

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 15, 2017, 03:25:32 AM »
Hello everyone! :)

Acre.Amazonian.Seeds

• Rio Branco, Acre Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 16, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
Hello,

I am Brazilian and I live in Rio Branco in the State of Acre, Brazil, Amazon Biome, I want to learn with new friends and share exotic seeds from my region!

Gustavo Silveira

Cory_Haiti

• North Haiti - Humid lowland, Central Haiti - 4,400' elevation
    • View Profile
    • Thede Connection
« Reply #1342 on: March 18, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »
Hi,

My name is Cory and I have always loved gardening and fruits. I earned a degree in Fruit Horticulture from Michigan State University, then learned about tropical fruit during an internship at ECHO in Florida. That led to a mission in the Santarem area of Brazil, for 21 months and I planted fruit trees at a remote jungle camp they had as a training school and working farm, with the goal of making it more self supporting. (I was dissapointed with how few jungle fruits there were in the Manaus and Belem markets after being to the Santarem market many times!)

I married a medical Dr. who had lived in Haiti for two years as a child and we started work in Haiti with the Wesleyan Mission in Anse-a-Galets, island of LaGonave. After 9 years we were invited to thier north Haiti campus. So after the years of killing many tropical fruits on the dry, salty island, (enjoyed the productive canistel, papaya, sapodilla, and moringa), it was exciting to move to an area with good soil and plenty of well distributed rainfall. Time to find and grow the Amazon fruits that Brazilians loved and most Haitians never heard of. I have about 6 or 8 acres of tree-gardens & yards on the mission campus and nearby planted to introduced fruit trees. Close to 3 acres are peach palm, some spineless. (Will post soon on the Edible Palms thread.) The campus is about 12 acres total and has a school, church and hospital plus 3 acres nearby that I purchased and planted 2 years ago.

After 10 years here, this summer we plan to start work at a new Wesleyan property, 30 acres of tree-less garden, brush, and pasture, at 4,400 feet elevation. Time to put the old Michigan studies and experience with apples, peaches and strawberries, etc. to work. The area grows good corn, beans and cattle but many of the children have protein malnutrition (probably landless families or because they sell the beans and cattle and just eat corn? Big need for nutrition education and/or higher value crops). I plan to keep my current 3 employees in charge of the nursery here so it should continue to produce fruit trees for this area. We will also see which species do well at higher altitude. I like planting and sharing fruit as much as eating fruit or trying new fruit so I am looking forward to the move even though many of the trees here are just coming into production.

We have productive carambola, canistel, malay apple, thornless jujube, thornless and regular peach palm, cupuasu, jackfruit, black sapote, sapodilla, biriba, breadfruit (local and Ma’afala) avocado, barbados cherry and miracle fruit. Not so productive or just starting include acai, loquat, dragon fruit, fig, okari nut, atemoya and macadamia. Many more types should fruit soon.

Mango - The climate here is wet enough that only the blanc mangos set fruit every year. There are several strains of fil blanc/manga blanca, all stringy, and they set fruit 2-5 times per year, at lest two or 3 branch-bending heavy crops each year. Some are in the markets almost all year. I have some crosses with local and Florida varieties that I look forward to fruiting, will save details for a mango discussion.

The new fruits are spreading in this area and to other parts of Haiti. I hope more tree and perennial gardening will be done in the highly erodible mountains. Erosion from annual and root crops takes a heavy toll on the environment, especiallly on the hills around this valley with over 100 inches of average rainfall per year.

YELLOWJKJEEP

• Pinehurst
    • View Profile
    • This Tiny Farm
« Reply #1343 on: March 25, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »
Howdy from Southeast Texas.  I am northwest of Houston in Pinehurst, TX.  USDA zone 8b/9a depending on the year.  This year was 8b as we had a record breaking freeze of 19 degrees for over 20 hours.  We usually will only dip into the mid to high 20s for a couple of hours and only once or twice a year usually.  My wife lost her japanese lemon due to this but her improved Meyer is coming back above the graft. 

We have just started gardening the past couple years and just this month have gotten into tropical fruit trees.  I used to live in Key West, FL and my grandparents are from Miami so we grew mango and the like.

I have just purchased an Alphonso mango tree, 2 lychees, guava, Aravaipa avocado, and a loquat.  I'd like to get an ice cream bean as well.  We also have other fruit trees more native to our climate, such as apples, orange, satsuma, lemon, pomegranate, blueberry, blackberry.  I will be putting in a banana circle and a papaya circle this year as well. 

I am currently enrolled in Geoff Lawton's permaculture design course and follow the VeganAthlete with Shamus O'Leary  on youtube in their tropical fruit quest.  Just thought I'd say hi and introduce myself as I'm sure this board will serve me well in the future. I hope to eventually become a designer, consultant and installer of edible landscaping and tropical fruit production in my area as a full time income.

Thanks.  Talk with y'all soon!

renatus

• portugal, alentejo, vila vicosa, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 26, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »
hi im renato from portugal im looking for seeds of tropical plants that can be hardy enought for my 9b /10a area. im just starting im a kind of newbie to this.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 26, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »
hi im renato from portugal im looking for seeds of tropical plants that can be hardy enought for my 9b /10a area. im just starting im a kind of newbie to this.
Hi! That's good to see more Portuguese people here. Congratulations!  ;)

Cyan

• Valley Center 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 30, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Retired Science teacher now an organic farmer. Small farm in Valley Center 9b inland unincorporated San Diego county.  Trying to develop a business that will feed others and support ourselves as we age.   Love to work with the soil and watch the changes all around, really thrilling to find a hawk, snake or a coyote.  Just found this forum and really excited! I learn so much from other kind and dedicated people sharing what they love. I wish I would have seen this 5 years ago when I started growing dragon fruit, I'm sure I would have missed a lot of errors made because I did not know better, but I learned a lot that way too. Thanks to those who set the forum up, its the best way to keep learning, seeing what others are doing and trying new things.  Look forward to reading through all of the posts.

DAMIEN1X

• USA,FLORIDA,WinterHaven,ZONE 9,sunset zone 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 30, 2017, 09:09:53 PM »
Hi Everyone, I have been a member of this great forum for years now but just lurk around gathering information about the trees i grow. I just got myself a lil piece of property in Polk County Central FL last year and have planted over 100 trees ,shrubs and fruiting vines, mostly mangoes. I have just had a terror fighting powdery mildew and it seems i kinda lost this season.Somehow i know its because i have never asked for advice personally when i have needed it from you forum guys  like i know i should . I believe i may become a fairly active member this year. I sincerely hope to .
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:12:44 PM by DAMIEN1X »

GrowInFlorida

• Aventura, FL - zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 06, 2017, 01:43:16 AM »
Hello, was really happy to find this forum and planning to stay here for a loooong time 😜
My husband and I just got an urban half-acre lot that we're planning to transform into a beautiful garden some time soon. My husband is more into trees as he grew up in the subtropics very similar to South Florida, enjoyed climbing trees and eating fruit off the branch so that's what he wants to do again lol and I am more into groundcovers, weird vegetables and flowers, medicinals and Asian plants, succulents and ferns, some palms and all kinds of creepers (sorry vines!). So we make a perfect gardening couple 🤓
We both like carefree perennial edible gardening and it's been our objective for this lot. We're researching about tropical gardening almost every day and have already quite a collection of the tropicals we like to eat, plus a mamey sapote (neither of us has tried it before lol but our neighbor gifted us a mature tree, how could we say no to a tropical fruit tree??)
My grandfather was a true Master Gardener (though untitled) and grew grapes in Siberia - this is the ultimate of gardening in my book... plus he created several of his own fruit varieties and did extensive grafting and bee keeping. I didn't learn as much from him as I should have...
I started exchanging seeds and plants on Dave's Garden and made some really good friends there. I'm also part of several FB seed and plant trading groups. The problem of both DG and those groups is that most of the participants aren't anywhere close to the subtropics... I always have something to trade and would love to trade with compatible climates because i don't grow annuals. I just hate to see plants die (even though it's the circle of life, blah blah - i know, i still don't like annuals!)
If I grow from seed I always have extra seedlings, and trade them for other plants or gift to friends. I also support a local free gardening class - if you're in Miami area and interested you can find it on Meetup as Miami Gardening Class.
We are also starting a rainwater collection Lotus Pond that has been our wet dream (no pun intended) for several years now. Have put a lot of effort, sweat and blood into it (mmm maybe not so much blood, just a couple cuts 🙄...) and are waiting for the rains to finally fill it up. Wish us luck!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:59:22 AM by GrowInFlorida »

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 07, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »
Another Central Floridian here, specifically Polk County- seems there are a few of us new to the forum. Came here for the excellent dragonfruit discussion, but I enjoy seeing all the others too.

I have 7 different dragonfruit cuttings I'm currently rooting and hoping for to establish into plants:
Makisupa
Delight
Bien Hoa Red
Valdivia Roja
Orejona
Physical graffiti
And an unknown red I got from Hawkins Corner nursery (AMAZING guy that Mr Skinner)

In addition I have several unknown (forgotten!) fruit trees:
Pear
Honeybell/Tangelo
Mexican (small) Avocado
Large Avocado

AND a square foot garden. You'll see me at their official forum from time to time as well.

Looking forward to seeing the discussion here. Cheers and God bless!
-Casey

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk