Author Topic: anaphylactic shock from yellowjackets  (Read 4639 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
anaphylactic shock from yellowjackets
« on: August 20, 2019, 11:31:05 PM »
no stranger to wasp stings or bee stings.   Once was trimming a tree and I had to stand tight working a boom while being swarmed.. must have been 100 stings.  Took a benadryl and went to sleep.

However today was working and I got 1-2 wasp stings from what I believe was a yellowjacket, fatty yellow wasp, that was much like a bee except larger and longer.  I tried to pinpoint how pulling weeds pissed them off.. but they refused to stop buzzing around some leaf blades.  I have seen paper wasps put eggs on banana leaves, and I got some stings from bumping those before.. but yellowjackets and grass? 

Anyways after 10 minutes top of skull itched insanely, 15 minutes, swollen with hives entire arms, legs, eyes, face, ears, lips.  20 minutes difficulty breathing..  By this time I am on the way to hospital because of the breathing problems, my face is unrecognizable by now, and they took my vitals and heart rate was 160,.  Dr. telling me to calm down.. thing is I was extremely calm, body was just doing it's own thing.  So between heart rate, hyptotension, and difficult breathing, ER was best decision I think!

They gave me an epinephrine shot, benadryl, and oral cortisone, and got better, but a little shaky from epinephrine...

So, yeh.. it's possible to be allergic to yellowjackets but not other bees or wasps.  Take care guys, and keep epinephrine on farm if you can.  Got myself a prescription, so now I can stock 2 syringes on farm.  I'm at home already, but entire body is welts and hives, but at least I can breath normally and heart rate back to normal.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: anaphylactic shock from yellowjackets
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 01:13:54 AM »
I’m glad you survived and thanks for the warning. I hear Epi pens are really expensive now. If Epi pens are cheap and available without a prescription, I would buy a couple and just have them around just in case.

Simon

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 01:38:39 AM »
Thank God you were able to get help in time.  If your yellowjackets are similar to ours, they have a very nasty disposition & are much more aggressive than bees & hornets.  I believe that they can nest in a variety of places, including just a hole in the ground so perhaps you were approaching their nest while weeding.   I had a similar experience with yellowjackets when clearing weeds & brush at my place -- but with a less serious reaction than you.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 01:50:13 AM »
Im glad you survived.What made you to be allergic is that you got too manny stings at once before when you wasnt allergic but the body prepared with a stronger immune sistem reaction.
The incident with manny stings basicaĺly confused your immune system and now you are allergic.
But there is hope:

1 ,these 2 wasps stings you got now ptobably made you non allergic for the next sting in case it happens.Could even save your life in case your next sting would be in a remote place or you dont get to the ER in time.Sometimes people die in just 5 minutes and you could be in the ER and still not make it because it happens too fast.But dont count on it,that these new stings made your immune system normal again,it would be like playing russian roulette.

2 ,you can do a treatment with bee venom ( by a doctor,in a hospital) wich spans on a few years and trains your immune system to not overreact.Then you would be non allergic to any wasp,hornet,bee sting ,because its the albumin that causes the allergy and that is found in wasp venom as in bee venom.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:54:22 AM by SeaWalnut »

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 05:24:33 AM »
I’m glad you survived and thanks for the warning. I hear Epi pens are really expensive now. If Epi pens are cheap and available without a prescription, I would buy a couple and just have them around just in case.

Simon

with my insurance plan, the prescription is covered, so glad I got prescribed at ER, don't need to go to my regular doctor. 

Thank God you were able to get help in time.  If your yellowjackets are similar to ours, they have a very nasty disposition & are much more aggressive than bees & hornets.  I believe that they can nest in a variety of places, including just a hole in the ground so perhaps you were approaching their nest while weeding.   I had a similar experience with yellowjackets when clearing weeds & brush at my place -- but with a less serious reaction than you.

yeh, this was on Oahu, so likely similar species.  I didn't find them that aggressive after initial attack, I found where they were, and as long as I stayed 2 feet away they didn't come after me.  I continued working nearby for 5 minutes or so before I started feeling weird.  I could not find any hive, so perhaps yeh I disturbed their hole.

Im glad you survived.What made you to be allergic is that you got too manny stings at once before when you wasnt allergic but the body prepared with a stronger immune sistem reaction.
The incident with manny stings basicaĺly confused your immune system and now you are allergic.
But there is hope:

1 ,these 2 wasps stings you got now ptobably made you non allergic for the next sting in case it happens.Could even save your life in case your next sting would be in a remote place or you dont get to the ER in time.Sometimes people die in just 5 minutes and you could be in the ER and still not make it because it happens too fast.But dont count on it,that these new stings made your immune system normal again,it would be like playing russian roulette.

2 ,you can do a treatment with bee venom ( by a doctor,in a hospital) wich spans on a few years and trains your immune system to not overreact.Then you would be non allergic to any wasp,hornet,bee sting ,because its the albumin that causes the allergy and that is found in wasp venom as in bee venom.

I read online that although similar, the antigen in yellowjackets is actually different.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1113072/

My last wasp sting was a year or two ago, and when I was swarmed by honeybees nearly 10 years back, so not sure if this was a buildup or not.  Usually bee stings give me a single welt or small hive area at the sting, and is slow to react.

I've built up natural resistance to a lot of things, like fire ants don't cause any allergic reaction with me anymore, and rosewood oils are limited to small itchy areas, so I'm thinking next yellowjacket sting if there is one will be less severe.

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 06:28:03 AM »
An increasing problem in Europe...

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 08:30:31 AM »
Actually allergies are on a drastic rise everywhere. In America half of all children has a chronic illness. A first aid kit should always have an anti histamine in it, even if you don’t have allergies you can save someone else that does.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »
I have been allergic to bees/wasps my whole life. If I don't get the
stinger/poison out immediately I swell up the next day.
I put damp baking soda on the sting and try to within one minute.
I carry it in my car because I have been stung fishing in the middle of no
where. One night I was out alone looking for geckos around an abandoned building
and kicked a pipe and out shot some wild bees and luckily I only got stung
4-5 times mostly on the head. Within one minute my face and head started
swelling and I headed home. I was about 45 minutes from my house and
started driving 90. I was 15 minutes from my house and had to stop and get
gas. I ended up passing out in the gas station cashier's line. I woke up in
5 minutes and an ambulance came and basically said it was too late to do
anything this time and I should take a Benadryl when I get home.
I never thought it was yellow jackets I thought it was the hybrid African bee
that caused the hyper reaction. I don't know agree with the statement you
will not have a bad reaction next time, You become more sensitive to the poison
the more you are exposed. It's very bad advice to tell someone you won't have
a reaction next time. How the hell do you know?

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 11:11:57 AM »
There are new approaches to remedy allergies and one promising technique is to introduce minute amounts of the antigen to severely hypersensitive individuals, gradually increasing the dosage over time and eventually building a tolerance to it. This approach has been successful for many children prone to anaphylaxis.

As with all medical procedures, there is never a one size fits all approach.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 11:27:51 AM »
I was never allergic to insect stings then once a few years ago a single yellowjacket sting gave me a huge reaction like yours.  A few months later I was stung again by a yellowjacket and had no reaction.  Not sure what this means, but it is clearly variable

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 12:41:11 PM »
When I was a child I was stung by a few dozen honey bees, since then I’ve had a high tolerance for all stinging bugs an bees.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »
You become more sensitive to the poison
the more you are exposed. It's very bad advice to tell someone you won't have
a reaction next time. How the hell do you know?

This is true and false... For example some woods have a allergens in the dust, you can work with the wood one day and have no reaction.  But after a week your body has been 'sensitized' and you can have a full blown reaction with itchy hives and edema.  I know, I've been there.  But after taking a break and coming back later and doing the same work the reaction gets less and less.  My tolerance now is very high for these dusts, usually only causing 1-2 small itchy pimples, which I ignore and they go away without treatment.  This is desensitization in long term

This also applies to mosquito bites, my edema or for allergies they call oedema (welts) reduce in size.  I've seen remarkable tolerance to fire ant bites in myself, they don't even cause raised pimples or any itching anymore.  I knock them off and only experience mild itching.  When I was young they would caused raised pimplish welts my mother would drain with a needle.

I'm pretty sure my reaction this time was because this was my body's first encounter with yellowjacket antigen, and I got stung very good twice.  I think the sting released more poison because the yellowjacket stung through my sunsleeves and maybe released it's full load or stinger got stuck.

Even my ER doctor said that next time I may or may not have a reaction, but to be safe carry the epinephrine shots with me, and if I have to use them come to ER for followup.  Since these only work 20 minutes (or for me about 2 hours in the ER I felt effects).

So yes desensitization is a thing for long term.. and also sensitization is also a thing for short term.  That is why doctors do the antigen tolerance therapy, giving small doses over time, just like a snake handler drinks poison, or how alcoholics can handle a full liter of whisky.

In the article I cited they also talk about this:

Natural course

A substantial proportion of patients (20-80% in different studies) with a history of a generalised reaction to a sting have no such reaction to a subsequent sting—that is, spontaneous improvement is common

Less severe generalised reactions may also occur

However, the course can be variable—a series of stings may result in a generalised reaction, no reaction, and then another generalised reaction

Children do particularly well: one study showed that 95% of those with a history of mild generalised reactions had no reaction to a subsequent sting

The next sting will not necessarily cause a more severe reaction, but patients in accident and emergency departments are often told that it will

Reasons for the variable outcome are not well understood but include the interval from the last sting (the longer the interval the lower the risk of another generalised reaction), the patient’s immune response at the time of the sting (this will change with time), the dose of venom injected, and the site of the sting

So yes, a subsequent reaction is entirely possible, and a subsequent non-reaction is entirely possible too, but there is no guarantee of either, and for my case I'll definitely go fill my prescription of epinephrine.  Sad part is I read they have to be at about 75 degrees storage temp, so I'll have to keep at home, keeping in car would be best.

I would suggest for your condition to try to get prescribed epinephrine shots, epinephrine is adrenaline, it is not proprietary, and you do not have to buy overpriced 'epi-pens'

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 02:04:42 PM »
When i go fishing on the Danube,a friend of mine tells about a giant vasp that chased a fisherman.
The fisherman jumped head first in the water to escape the vasp ,but the vasp was faster and she stung him in the neck right before he touched the water and he died. ;D
Its just a legend and that giant vasp ,altough would make you run for your life ,its peacefull and has a short stinger,cant sting a human.
Kids keep them as pets ,but it skared manny because of her size .From one meter away you could feel the wind generated by her wings.Megascolia.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 02:15:45 PM »

scary! 

Have these giant hornets in Thailand, never been stung though, although there was a is a huge hive on a neighbors 3 story balcony, that is semi-used I guess.  They fly through door sometimes and can usually open a screen window and chase them out, or just kill them.  They are not so aggressive, but perhaps near their hives they would be.  From what I know these are very dangerous, and it's said they can kill a water buffalo.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »
on a side note, we should all try to stock up on anti-venoms from snake bites as well!  Well not for people in Hawaii, but other areas.  Many remote hospitals don't stock anti-venom or stock very generic anti-venom.  I was trying to go about getting cobra anti-venom and green tree snake viper anti-venom in Thailand, but was a bit complicated.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:24:37 PM by sahai1 »

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 05:59:36 PM »
We raise bees, and tried several times to get an epipen, and the doctor will not prescribe one unless someone in the family has a known allergic reaction. So we have not been able to obtain one.  Which is kind of ridiculous, since many people visit and we cannot know their status.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 06:30:07 PM »
They swelled my face so bad my little girl covered her face, "Daddy looks like a MONSTER!"

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 06:57:01 PM »
We raise bees, and tried several times to get an epipen, and the doctor will not prescribe one unless someone in the family has a known allergic reaction. So we have not been able to obtain one.  Which is kind of ridiculous, since many people visit and we cannot know their status.

Did you try getting them for yourself by going to the Dr., you could always state that you had an incident before and now you are in a high risk occupation for another incident.

Otherwise, you could smuggle in some from Canada.

Even if you did acquire them, the need for a prescription makes it seem that you might be liable for any side effects of administering them, I googled, and found that the UK has an immunity law, but not sure the laws for the USA.

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »
I thought it might be useful to mention that primatene inhaler is now available over the counter again and its only active ingredient is epinephrine.  I'm not saying that this would be a suitable or effective alternative, but it might be worth a try if the other option is to die.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 10:39:01 PM »
But there is hope:

Perhaps there is a translation problem as there are multiple inaccuracies per Medical diagnosis and treatment in the U.S. (it may be different in other countries) thus I will give the U.S. version of many corrections needed if one has an anaphylactic reaction in the U.S.

1.  What made you to be allergic is that you got too manny stings at once before when you wasnt allergic but the body prepared with a stronger immune sistem reaction. FALSE in the U.S. medical community.
https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/immune-disorders/allergic-reactions-and-other-hypersensitivity-disorders/overview-of-allergic-reactions#v779706
https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/immune-disorders/allergic-reactions-and-other-hypersensitivity-disorders/anaphylactic-reactions
Any antigen that the body recognizes can cause an allergic reaction and the amount of antigen needed varies with each individual to elicit an allergic reaction. Each individual varies as to what they might be allergic to. More volume of antigen exposure does intensify the allergic reaction when and if it occurs in anaphylactoid reactions. Anaphylactic reactions can occur with very small volume of antigen as he experienced with 2 stings, even 1 sting would have been enough probably.  Also the sensitizing initial dose did not have to be 100 stings as 1 sting could have sensitized a person and another sting later could have resulted in an anaphylactic reaction with very low initial dose and follow up dose after being initially sensitized in susceptible individuals to the specific antigen.

2. "1 ,these 2 wasps stings you got now ptobably made you non allergic for the next sting in case it happens."  = FALSE
 https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/immune-disorders/allergic-reactions-and-other-hypersensitivity-disorders/overview-of-allergic-reactions#v779706
My guess is the 100 stings was probably a common anaphylactoid reaction and unfortunately for you your body became also sensitized to that antigen. Once sensitized, the next exposure often produces a worse allergic anaphylactic reaction and not generalized.
 Another reference::: http://answers.medchrome.com/1067/difference-between-anaphylactic-anaphylactoid-reaction
An anaphylactic reaction: This involves the liberation of histamine, 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) and associated vasoactive substances from mast cells and basophils, following exposure to a foreign substance (the drug) to which the individual has become sensitized. It is usually an IgE-mediated reaction.
Another detailed reference with antigen material being Gadolinium vs. the wasp antigen in the specific patient ::: http://mriquestions.com/allergic-reactions.html
An anaphylactoid reaction: This is clinically indistinguishable from the above, but the release of histamine, etc. from mast cells is triggered by non-IgE mechanisms.http://mriquestions.com/allergic-reactions.html

Developing a resistance to the antigen would require several visits to physicians with multiple very very very small injections under supervision of a physican ready to admister  epinephrine, steroids, diphenhydramine, or cpr if needed. The usual is 2 years of frequent visits and injections if avoidance of the antigen is unlikely or impossible.  Continual revisits should be performed ever after that to verify.

A final note: your epinephrine injector will degrade more rapidly with exposure to heat and sunlight. Keep it in a cool dark environment. I would avoid areas that might have that particular wasp. If unsure, I would carry my epinephrine with me strapped to my drinking water as next time you may only have 1 to 2 minutes before you pass out and you may not reach the vehicle, house, or hospital before it's too late... 

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 11:13:14 PM »
Sahai1 quote:
"I've built up natural resistance to a lot of things, like fire ants don't cause any allergic reaction with me anymore, and rosewood oils are limited to small itchy areas, so I'm thinking next yellowjacket sting if there is one will be less severe."
[/quote]

Building up a resistance to an anaphylactoid reaction would be much much much easier than an anaphylactic reaction where your next exposure could be faster and more severe than before. Please do not be dead wrong in your assumptions. Read my carrying instructions and last comments and references and look up  information on epinephrine degrading in epinephrine injectors.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 11:35:59 PM »
But there is hope:

Perhaps there is a translation problem as there are multiple inaccuracies per Medical diagnosis and treatment in the U.S. (it may be different in other countries) thus I will give the U.S. version of many corrections needed if one has an anaphylactic reaction in the U.S.

1.  What made you to be allergic is that you got too manny stings at once before when you wasnt allergic but the body prepared with a stronger immune sistem reaction. FALSE in the U.S. medical community.
https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/immune-disorders/allergic-reactions-and-other-hypersensitivity-disorders/anaphylactic-reactions
Any antigen that the body recognizes can cause an allergic reaction and the amount of antigen needed varies with each individual to elicit an allergic reaction. Each individual varies as to what they might be allergic to. More volume of antigen exposure does intensify the allergic reaction when and if it occurs in anaphylactoid reactions. Anaphylactic reactions can occur with very small volume of antigen as he experienced with 2 stings, even 1 sting would have been enough probably.  Also the sensitizing initial dose did not have to be 100 stings as 1 sting could have sensitized a person and another sting later could have resulted in an anaphylactic reaction with very low initial dose and follow up dose after being initially sensitized in susceptible individuals to the specific antigen.

2. "1 ,these 2 wasps stings you got now ptobably made you non allergic for the next sting in case it happens."  = FALSE
My guess is the 100 stings was probably a common anaphylactoid reaction and unfortunately for you your body became also sensitized to that antigen. Once sensitized, the next exposure often produces a worse allergic anaphylactic reaction and not generalized.
 Another reference::: http://answers.medchrome.com/1067/difference-between-anaphylactic-anaphylactoid-reaction
An anaphylactic reaction: This involves the liberation of histamine, 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) and associated vasoactive substances from mast cells and basophils, following exposure to a foreign substance (the drug) to which the individual has become sensitized. It is usually an IgE-mediated reaction.
Another detailed reference with antigen material being Gadolinium vs. the wasp antigen in the specific patient ::: http://mriquestions.com/allergic-reactions.html
An anaphylactoid reaction: This is clinically indistinguishable from the above, but the release of histamine, etc. from mast cells is triggered by non-IgE mechanisms.http://mriquestions.com/allergic-reactions.html

Developing a resistance to the antigen would require several visits to physicians with multiple very very very small injections under supervision of a physican ready to admister  epinephrine, steroids, diphenhydramine, or cpr if needed. The usual is 2 years of frequent visits and injections if avoidance of the antigen is unlikely or impossible.  Continual revisits should be performed ever after that to verify.

A final note: your epinephrine injector will degrade more rapidly with exposure to heat and sunlight. Keep it in a cool dark environment. I would avoid areas that might have that particular wasp. If unsure, I would carry my epinephrine with me strapped to my drinking water as next time you may only have 1 to 2 minutes before you pass out and you may not reach the vehicle, house, or hospital before it's too late...
You usr caps lock and say what i said its false ,even post various links.
Then at the end you write something about desensibilisation in hospital wich last 2 years...Revise your reply because you contradict yourself on the matter.
I could also post you links from studyes made in USA that contradict the studyes you posted but i dont have time to read that much about allergies now.
 Another usefull info i can give to people with various allergies is to eat bee collected pollen( in case your not allergic to pollen,offcourse).That will cause you a mild allergy reaction,not visible but scientifically prooven  and you have to tell your doctor you ate pollen in case you do blood tests because it will make you look like your having an infection or that you are sick.
That little allergic reaction from eating pollen ,trains your immune system ,you get a steady flow of antibodyes in your blood and you wont get cold or otther ilnesses too easy.

You also wont get an exagerated response from your immune system in case you are allergic to something.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 11:49:54 PM »
But there is hope:

You usr caps lock and say what i said its false ,even post various links.
Then at the end you write something about desensibilisation in hospital wich last 2 years...Revise your reply because you contradict yourself on the matter.
I could also post you links from studyes made in USA that contradict the studyes you posted but i dont have time to read that much about allergies now.
 Another usefull info i can give to people with various allergies is to eat bee collected pollen( in case your not allergic to pollen,offcourse).That will cause you a mild allergy reaction,not visible but scientifically prooven  and you have to tell your doctor you ate pollen in case you do blood tests because it will make you look like your having an infection or that you are sick.
That little allergic reaction from eating pollen ,trains your immune system ,you get a steady flow of antibodyes in your blood and you wont get cold or otther ilnesses too easy.

You also wont get an exagerated response from your immune system in case you are allergic to something.

There is a big difference between mild allergies and an anaphylactic reaction. Repeated exposure to the antigen eliciting the anaphylactic reaction may result in death. So yes concern is definitely needed with appropriate precautions.

Please realize there is a huge difference in an anaphylactic reaction to an anaphylactoid reaction.... Yes please read. 

The odds are if he were exposed again to that yellow jacket or what ever antigen a worse outcome would exist without immediate drug intervention. So I am compelled to respond to your mild scenario and yes I am aware of common desentization to pollen etc etc.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 12:16:40 AM »
Palmcity,eating bees collected pollen ,desensivites you from any kind of allergic reaction,not just for pollen but also stings ,chemicals ,etc.
If you eat bees collected pollen offten ,you will look sick and suffering on a paper that a doctor reads ,but in Georgia ,the soviets found 250 people older than 120 years.All had one thing in common,they were beekeepers that ate pollen offten= they had good immune systems.
We all heard about the stream in Georgia where Stalin used to go during the summers and drink from it.They toght the water from that stream was making people to live soo long ,but it was the pollen people ate there ,not the water.
Im a beekeeper and got stung dozzens of times by vasps- one sting at a time ,but once i got 5,dozzen of bumblebees -one sting at a time( worse than vasps) ,the giant waterbug once and bees stung me 3-4 times a year.
I do get a swallowed hand a little from bees ,especially if i get stung by a few at once and sometimes i dont get that swalowing reaction at all.
Interesting the reaction of the man above that fainted at the gas station.Thats a real allergic.He got a panic atack because his body released the adrenaline wich made.him breathe too fast until he fainted because he got too much oxigen in his blood.Basically the body realised his reaction is overrated and it had a mechanism to stop it by itself.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 12:23:30 AM »
Hi Palmcity...  I'd also have to agree with Seawalnut, there are plenty links, including US journals to contradict your links.  And you inserted a lot conjecture after the links, which the links did not support.

Actually in fact Seawalnut posted exactly what my ER doctor told me.. my next sting will likely not produce a reaction.  At the same time he prescribed me 2 adrenaline shots just to be safe.  so you are right,  safety first!  To take precautions to avoid the allergen, and be prepared with epinephrine is a great thing to do.  But also the shelf life issues... this makes it difficult to actually carry it with you wherever you go.

My own life experience, which does not apply to other people, but my own, is that my allergic reactions become less severe after more exposure.  Which is what doctors are trying to do now for people.  Anti-histamine drugs are not a solution, just like the overuse of antibiotics.  Strengthening and teaching your immune system to do it's job is always better than drugs if possible.

This was my first exposure to yellowjacket venom, which I read has a different antigen then bee venom.  I am not sure if it is the same as paper wasp venom.  That would have been my last sting I think.. perhaps 1.5 years ago. 

I like the link I first posted, as far as a link goes, it is well cited, from a reputable journal, from reputable doctors, peer reviewed.. your links.. not as good I think.  But you are welcome to post up some more links!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1113072/

Which very strongly supports what Seawalnut said, but also strongly supports what you are saying.  Because everyone's immune system is different.  I do know that from my history with allergens, subsequent improvement is the normal.  Since my insurance is footing the bill, I'll take the adrenaline shots and keep them in my fridge.  But would I pay $500?  No, I am not that worried.  Please take note I am not giving advice to anybody else on what they should or should not do, and that is why all the research you will ever find on google will always say to not risk anything.

I would never take a shot for hives., but if I knew someone with trouble breathing, tingling sensation in body, swollen lips, BPM at rest over 130, hypotension, I would get them to a hospital for adrenaline shot.