Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 532902 times)

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #550 on: July 21, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »
Ok thanks Guanabanus.  I'm glad I don't have to raise it then.  I was worried about disturbing it some more. 

What do you think of this approach?  Extend the ring and fill it all in with mulch so that it's level with where the base meets the soil in the current picture.  Then with a small 6" diameter going around the trunk, add an inch or two of potting soil to protect the trunk.  My concern with doing that is putting soil on top again.

Basically I have top soil (Florida Nursery Mart brand), cypress mulch (Bushel Stop brand and unopened), and potting soil (Bushel Stop brand  and unopened) to work with.  I'd rather use what I have to fix it rather than going out again to buy more soil haha!!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:06:29 PM by FlMikey »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 22, 2014, 08:02:46 AM »
Don't put soil on the trunk!   Only over the roots.
Har

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 22, 2014, 09:03:12 AM »
That's what I was thinking too.  I've just finished my project.  I used 40% mulch / 40% potting soil / 20% top soil to fill the majority of the ring.  Then used a 50% / 50% potting soil to mulch mix around the base roots.  Finally added a layer of about 4 inches of mulch on top of that.  Let's see how my plant does!  Thanks for all the help.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »

Nearly all my LZ mangos are showing dark green blotching on the skin. After a couple days the blotch gets very dark.

It has not affected the quality of the fruit so far, but I'd be interested if someone can identify what is going on.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 28, 2014, 09:46:20 PM »
Dan - that is normal,  classic characteristic of the LZ.  Nothing wrong at all.  Looks perfecto!
- Rob

Ryansbrooks1991

• Florida Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 29, 2014, 11:31:04 AM »
My otherwise healthy looking tree has newer leaves twisting what could the nutrient deficiency be? Also have an anthracnose problem not yet seen in leaves, but on the branches I notice the blackening istaking over. What are some suggestions for this grafted tree. Also notice a few odd shaped leaves, is that normal or another deficiency? This is a Carrie Graft.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 29, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
Twisted leaves are normal for some varieties. Carrie included. Looks like a very healthy tree.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 29, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »
Yes, all healthy.
Har

Bigstick62

• Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 03, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »
Hi everyone:
Attached is a picture of a Cogshall Mango tree in my yard. As you can see the edges of the leaves have "burn marks" and have started to curl upwards although I have not used any fertilizer on the tree. Can anyone tell me what is going on here and what I can do to address the issue?
Thanks for all your help

Same thing seems to be happening on my Okrung mango tree

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 03, 2014, 10:18:58 PM »
Both appear to have Powdery Mildew damage.  Severe deficiency of Potassium can also cause marginal firing.

The Okrung has something else going on--- probably a multiple deficiency, probably including Zinc, Copper, and Boron.   I'd give it a full micro-nutrient mix plus kelp extract, sprayed on the leaves, and a good mixed fertilizer on the ground, plus Calcium Sulfate (if there isn't already abundant Calcium in your soil).
Har

Cornelis

• Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 08, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »
Hi mango lovers,

I've attached some pictures of my 6 year old mango tree, living in the middle of Sweden. It is grown from seed and has spent the winters indoors and the summers outdoors. The height is just below 4 ft (1.10 m) and the branching at the top is from this summer. It looks quite good, but the low leaves of the tree have some strange symptoms of disease. On the back of the leaves there is a white mass, as in the 5th image. Also I think they are mottled as in the 4th image, but maybe that is just a sign of the leave aging. I have never given it any fertilizer but repotted it every year (at least). What do you think the problem is, fungus, bacterial spots or something else?

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 10, 2014, 11:06:27 AM »
Here is my baby Sweet Tart. It looked a bit battered when I bought it at the PB Rare Fruit council sale, but I chose it because it had the best branching structure of all that were for sale... and figured I could give it some TLC. It is finally flushing - a good sign.

It has curly leaves - kind of like a warped records - with ash-white / brown tips that look dead. Some spots and dead holes in the leaf.

My goal with this plant is to get it healthy and move it in to a big container. If I could get 10 mangos a year from it, I would be happy. More would be a score!

1.) What should I do, if anything, to address the leaf defects?
2.) What kind of fertilizer or nutrition is recommended for mangos in containers? Do I need some sort of liquid?

I currently only have 8-3-9 granules from Excalibur.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:08:04 AM by BrettBorders »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 10, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »
The leaves may have been damaged by wind or by being sprayed too hard when the leaves were very tender.
Har

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 01, 2014, 08:15:27 PM »
So since I moved into my new property a couple months ago, I've been working on my goal of getting a lot of mango varieties in the ground.  I bought 5 at the Fairchild mango festival and another 19 from Pine Island.  Several of them have been under attack, and some are doing great.  The Vallenato I bought from Fairchild is doing great, flushing and no damage at all.  The Angie has been in the ground the same 6 weeks and any new growth has been attacked. 

My longan caretaker was here Saturday and showed him the damaged plants still in pots and he immediately said "son caracoles" (snails).  He said they come up at night and feed on the leaves and new growth and are back in the soil in the daytime. 

Some of the leaves were curled like in some of the pictures I see here.  He said he was going to spray them for me (he was fumigating the longans for ants and whitefly).  I had to leave so I didn't see if he actually  was able to.

But I went to home depot and bought this snail bait today.  Does anyone have experience with this being effective?

I was out trimming the grass around the trees and putting down the snail bait at dusk today and what did I see on the Alphonso mango I planted yesterday but this snail on a top leaf of the Alphonso, confirming his diagnosis.

Here's the Angie that I'm still hoping is going to make it after being ravaged.  New flushes have been killed off almost immediately.  The green grass around it are just freshly cut clippings on top of the mulch ring.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 01, 2014, 08:30:34 PM »
Snail baits containing Iron Phosphate are safe and effective.   I'm not familiar with the one shown.

Not all snails on plants are harming the plants--- some kinds actually survive by cleaning algae and fungi and bacteria off the leaves.

I don't recall seeing snail damage on mangos, but then I have never been around Giant African Snails.

I hope your spray man is certified to spray;  it is the law when working for hire or on some else's property.
Har

PurpleAlligator

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 01, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
Snail baits containing Iron Phosphate are safe and effective.   I'm not familiar with the one shown.

Not all snails on plants are harming the plants--- some kinds actually survive by cleaning algae and fungi and bacteria off the leaves.

I don't recall seeing snail damage on mangos, but then I have never been around Giant African Snails.

I hope your spray man is certified to spray;  it is the law when working for hire or on some else's property.

It's an iron phosphate snail bait.  Of course he is certified. 

PurpleAlligator

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 17, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »
Since I've started using snail bait I'm starting to find snail carcasses on plants and around the area.  Here's one I found this morning near some 3 gallon mango plants I haven't planted yet and new growth was being attacked.

Har - I'm new to the board but it looks like you know quite a bit on the topic.  A lot of my new 25 mango plants have not gotten off to great starts, can I reach out to you for some advice off the board?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 17, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
Answers which I choose to give here on the forum are free.

Private consultations on phone or in person are $30 per hour.   561 523-6599
Har

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 17, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
Hey Purple Alligator, I am in your area 19997 sw 190th street and I have what is predominately a longan grove.

I can tell you two things.

1) Longans don't need to be sprayed for whitefly or ants, that is a huge waste of money and terrible for the environment. Longans in our area are basically care free as long as your occasionally fertilize and prune. And trust me I know, I have over 150 longan trees.

2) Its not snails, its 100%, my personal guarantee not snails. I accidentally introduced cuban snails onto my property and I have to deal with them constantly, but they do not touch mangos, not even seedlings that are sprouting, and trust me, seedlings are snails favorite snack.

This next advice, is speculation, your curled leaves are possibly the result of fungal problems. Most people will tell you that you need to spray most you mangos with copper or some other anti fungal at least when they are young. Our area is not as mango friendly as you'd expect, the humidity levels and soil aren't ideal.

Sometimes curled leaves are the result of nutritional deficiencies, but I assume you already know to fertilize your mangos periodically with 8-3-9 and a chelate micronutrient blend, on our soil this is essential for good tree growth for most anything and does a world of good for mango in their first years.

Finally, sometimes the leafs just come out curled especially if its very windy and the trees are growing quickly, the new leaves are sensitive to wind.

If you are taking good care of your plants any curled leaves are not life threatening.

But, I can tell you without a doubt in my mind its not snails, and that you are wasting time fumigating your longans.

If you want pm and if I have some time, Ill pop by your place and tell you what I thing and you'd be more than welcome to look around my place.
- David Antonio Garcia

PurpleAlligator

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 17, 2014, 03:47:26 PM »
David,

Thanks for the comments.  I would definitely like to have you come over and look around and meet you as well.  We are very close to each other.  I'll send you a pm.

I prefer a chemical free property.  I bought the property about 3 months ago and the caretaker has been handling the trees for many years now and uses chemical extensively.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 17, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »
That's a good idea. You should offer email consultation.

Answers which I choose to give here on the forum are free.

Private consultations on phone or in person are $30 per hour.   561 523-6599
Jeff  :-)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 18, 2014, 08:01:06 AM »
Mr Har has a resume as in being the prime grafter and in charge of grafting operations at Zills for many years/ And for any newbies here Zills is the epicenter of mango grafting|propagation|distribution in the US and much of Latin America. Latin America as is selling thousands of small grafted saplings at a time to owners establishing new groves in places like Peru. So that yokels in New York can buy a $1 mango that will never taste good but has lots of red coloration that makes people buy them

Zills as in selling|sending|grafted trees to Pine Island Nursery many of the trees they distribute all over America and beyond

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 18, 2014, 02:44:05 PM »
I believe Har's title at Zill's HPP was "Annona Breeder" :-), though I'm sure he was a man of many hats during his time there. But, that's just one slice of his resume.

Definitely worth the money for a consultation.
Jeff  :-)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 18, 2014, 03:37:56 PM »
I believe Har's title at Zill's HPP was "Annona Breeder" :-), though I'm sure he was a man of many hats during his time there. But, that's just one slice of his resume.

Definitely worth the money for a consultation.

It was a fortuitous day when I was on your property in April and met Har who threw a few nuggets of wisdom at me. But even better was Mr Steve from Atlas roofing who gave me some roof  leak advice saving me $2000. He was working on your roof this fortunate day

The secret roof rescuing ingredient is______________________________tar sealant in the green bucket at HD_____________ applied in all the right places

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:42:30 PM by zands »

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 29, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »
for the first time after relocating to Florida and getting bitten by the mango bug my mango trees are finally blooming. Do you recommend I spray the flowers with copper? They are Glenn, Mallika and Kent. If yes can you share with me instructions as how many ounces per gallon of water of the blue powder? Also I am reading I should not spray the fully open sprig but only the bloom while forming. Is that accurate? And how often? Thanks for any help