Author Topic: Biriba or cherimoya...which is best?  (Read 7863 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Biriba or cherimoya...which is best?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 10:37:50 AM »
I'm sure we are limited in s. FL to what we can obtain, but I'm yet to taste a cherimoya that I have really enjoyed.
I'll go for a sugar apple every time instead.

always longing for a JA Julie

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »

Climate affects quality. A fruit grown outside the tropics is not going to be up to par.

I wonder how often a fruit gets slammed here because it was not grown under the conditions it needed to produce good fruit.  The French like to talk about terroir (climate, sun, soil, rainfall, exposure, etc) with grapes, I think we need to consider that concept for all fruits. 

John

I agreee 100% !!
Lorenzo

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 01:01:06 PM »
i have never tasted a good homegrown cherimoya. Unfortunately, they do not perform well in SW Florida. I grow a fantastic Biriba. The fruit is sweet and very tasty! Therefore, for me biriba is a better option. I believe this is one of the best biribas I ever tasted.
I tasted a biriba in Taubate, São Paulo and that fruit was bland and tasteless. Not the one I have!!!!

Is the biriba synonymous to rollinia? I am looking for ideal annona to plant here so we can grow many trees who may be sacrifice later after production, seed sharing, etc.
This would be an addition to our mtn soursop, custard apple, sugar apple collection, and we have a few mystery annona saplings who are coming into second year, after growing voluntarily from discarded refuse in the shade under an oak, and neighboring a not particularly healthy banana.. I may travel, I guess those are on my list consider relocating, but being annona I'd rather have 3 trees as they are, mingling together,cross pollinating.
Do you have any plantable material?

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 02:17:59 PM »
Is the biriba synonymous to rollinia?

According to Wikipedia, yes, Rollinia deliciosa is in the custard-apple family, Annonaceae, commonly known as biriba.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollinia_deliciosa
Sam

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 07:08:46 AM »
Biriba is the portuguese name in Brazil. In Hawaii the common name is rollina. Both are Rollinia deliciosa, now renamed Annona mucosa.
Oscar