Author Topic: Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?  (Read 28929 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Angie Is Not a Top-Tier Mango?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 11:07:10 AM »
Cant go hy nubbin fruits.  I wonder why its producing the nubbins, and more than just an odd 1?.  That is a bad characteristic of the Dot.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Angie Is Not a Top-Tier Mango?
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »
Maybe from that late bloom we got. Even my lemon zest produced a few nubbins.
Jeff  :-)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 04:09:16 PM »
The nubbins were from a late bloom. I have about six nubbins total. I also have about 10 fruit that will make it to full maturity from that late bloom.  Either way, the nubbins were outstanding.
JC

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 04:14:42 PM »
you call them nubbins? we always called them "Danny Devitos"
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »
LMFAO!!!!!

you call them nubbins? we always called them "Danny Devitos"
JC

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 09:22:51 AM »
Ate the last of my Angies today.  Better than the early ones and a very good mango, but I don't think I could ever place in the Top Five.  Pickering ripens at the same time for me,  and I prefer Pickering because of its coconut flavor and sweetness.
John

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »
Had a few more nubbins / Danny DeVito Angies and they have all been outstanding. I have a full sized Schwarzenegger Angie about a day or two away from optimum ripeness. Keeping my fingers crossed.
JC

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 10:11:49 PM »
Ate the last of my Angies today.  Better than the early ones and a very good mango, but I don't think I could ever place in the Top Five.  Pickering ripens at the same time for me,  and I prefer Pickering because of its coconut flavor and sweetness.

I don't think fairchild will ever promote a top 5 mango...so for them, this is as good as it gets!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 10:36:16 PM »

I don't think fairchild will ever promote a top 5 mango...so for them, this is as good as it gets!

They promote Malika which is a fantastic mango.  Not saying it's top 5 but one I consistently enjoy every time I cut into one.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:29 AM »
Mallika could hit a lot of top 5 in a tasting on any given Sunday.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 08:49:36 AM »
My Mallika is about a year old.  It was in a seven-gal. pot, and I cut it back severely.  It didn't have fruit this year but has been filling in beautifully.  So next year I'll have Mallikas to comment about.  I had a tree nine years ago (at another house), and it produced delicious mangos.  But the new owners hated mangos or something and chopped it down.  Yes, there are THOSE KIND OF PEOPLE in the world!
John

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 08:51:29 AM »
Mallika could hit a lot of top 5 in a tasting on any given Sunday.

fair enough  :P
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »
Have had exactly two.  One bought from Alex was wonderful.  My girlfriend and I considered it one of the best we had including the Edwards we also bought. 

The other bought at the recent festival at the Fruit and Spice park in a 6 for 5 deal, smelled and the seed inside had already sprouted.   But, all of the mango's I got in that deal, were pretty bad.  The Mallika and Carrie were horrible also and hit the garbage can as well.    So skipping all the fruit I got there as just a bad vendor.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »
Have had exactly two.  One bought from Alex was wonderful.  My girlfriend and I considered it one of the best we had including the Edwards we also bought. 

The other bought at the recent festival at the Fruit and Spice park in a 6 for 5 deal, smelled and the seed inside had already sprouted.   But, all of the mango's I got in that deal, were pretty bad.  The Mallika and Carrie were horrible also and hit the garbage can as well.    So skipping all the fruit I got there as just a bad vendor.

Doesn't that just suck?  I bought 4 mangos at $3/lb. from a popular South Florida grower recently and 2 out of the 4 were bad!
John

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »
First time me and my wife tried Mallika, we did not care for it,  it was just terrible,  I even joked that the fruit tasted like the name ( Mal = Bad ).
That was a few years back,  then I tasted one at the fruit and spice park, that was on the ground,  and found it to very tasty indeed.   and eventually tried a few more on Different occasions, and they were all very good.

The first one that we had a bad experience with, was probably either over ripe, or maybe like they say, should have been picked green, and allowed to ripen off the tree.   lesson here, is do not a judge a variety from just one fruit and source.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »
Mallika do not need to be picked green to be good.  I have eaten plenty that were picked with some yellowing and they were equally excellent.   I will say, if you have any camel shit around, definitely pick them green.
- Rob

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »
Well, 4 fruits in and this seasons Angie fruits are shaping up to be disappointing. The first 2 fell and had considerable anthracnose damage. The next two I picked when they showed some yellowing. The one that looked perfectly ripened (although a rather ugly specimen) was in fact overripe, so I picked a second one that looked a day underripe to compare, it's top was underripe, but the nose was edging up on overripe. So they seem to be ripening unevenly, and the overripe bits are quite mushy. Now, on to the flavor - it is like a roulette game - most bites taste terrible, a bitter taste I don't enjoy, and the occasional bit has excellent flavor, with just the slightest tinge of that unpleasant flavor.  Just  good enough so I can see how. If the bitter taste was absent, they'd be excellent. But so far the reality is I didn't finish any of the 4, they were that bad:( the tree is holding about 20 more, and a couple are quite nicely shaped and unblemished, unlike these first few. So I'll wait to try those, but if the flavor of the lot of them is bad I think I'll be looking to replace this tree next year with a more reliable flavor producer. My space is too precious for an iffy pick.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
My Angie's continue to disappoint. This is the best looking one I've had so far:

Most of them don't yellow up anywhere near this much before they fall off the tree. The flesh of this one looked ok, and the nose tasted ok, only a mild disagreeable flavor. Near the stem, or too close to the stem is a horrible kerosene sort of taste.

so I think I'm leaning toward the earlier comment that maybe these do not like growing in sugar sand soil? Anyone got one producing good flavored fruit planted in sand soil?

I don't really care that the fruit are ugly, but the flavor so far is unacceptable. In the parts that the bad flavor is mildest, I can see how if it was not present, this would be a superbly flavored variety. But can't get past the bad flavor.

This is the second year fruiting with no substantial improvement in flavor over last year. Any hope that subsequent years might improve?

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »
I don't seem to be able to get images to upload anymore - sorry, will have to try to figure that out later. The image I tried posting was of a fairly small size fruit with about 60% yellow color and entirely covered in ugly scarring kind (maybe scab?).

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2015, 11:45:28 PM »
I'm in Miami and my Angie's look nothing like yours. My tree gives me beautiful clean fruit with a pink/red shoulder, the flesh is sweet silky smooth no fiber and a slight papaya undertone/aftertaste. The first year my tree fruited it did not wow me but this year they were great. As I said earlier it does have a resinous taste near the skin and the stem. This is more prominent if eaten too underripe. I am not very fond of the resinous taste but the key to it is to cut the skin away before eating or slicing and it is completely gone.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2015, 10:28:58 AM »
I'm glad to know the variety produces well for some. Out of curiousity, for any of you that have trees producing good tasting fruit, does your tree get irrigation? Mines does, and I'm wondering if this variety is extra sensitive to too much water, the Fairchild description alluded to good production potentially being impacted by water supply.

I have been peeling the fruit with a potato peeler to try to get off all of the skin that is resinous tasting before cutting up the fruit.  But  the off taste, while worse near the stem isn't limited to just the surface of the fruit. This morning, I had a fruit that the nose end was very good tasting, with no off flavor. The half closest to the stem end had significant bitterness all the way down to the seed. So I think that for whatever reason, my tree does not like it's growing conditions and is producing off flavored fruit, rather than me disliking the variety as a whole. If the fruits tasted like the nose of this one, I find them very good. Any thoughts on growing conditions impacting flavor so adversely?

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »
Mine does not get irrigation. All it gets is rain water and occasionally if there is a drought hose water.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2015, 02:33:27 PM »
Most of them don't yellow up anywhere near this much before they fall off the tree. The flesh of this one looked ok, and the nose tasted ok, only a mild disagreeable flavor. Near the stem, or too close to the stem is a horrible kerosene sort of taste.
This is the second year fruiting with no substantial improvement in flavor over last year. Any hope that subsequent years might improve?

I have uneven ripening on a few mango trees. I attribute this to the early bloom. I am seeing unevenly ripe fruit drop from my Gold Nugget mango which is normally an August tree. Another tree was also plagued by this unevenness though it seems that the last 50% of its fruits will be normal

So...... I would give your Angie another year.

On average my mango trees are 3-4 weeks earlier than a normal year. Some trees don't care while some do. Angie might be one.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:29:44 PM by zands »

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 03:11:54 PM »
I don't know what to say to the disappointed Angie growers but my late season crop has bee pretty damn great. I have no disease issues and the fruit are clean and full flavored.

JC

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »
The Angies i've had this year have been superb. Lots of excellent feedback from people who have tried it as well. Definitely a top tier mango and so many positive traits in terms of tree size and growth habit, production and precocity.

A decent subset of Americans will probably not like it due to the Carrie-like flavor. But people with Indian and west indie backgrounds (aka people who actually buy mangos) will absolutely love Angie