Author Topic: What to plant next?  (Read 1156 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
What to plant next?
« on: April 26, 2019, 08:09:25 AM »
I had a couple spots open up and now I would like to fill them with something new. I currently have bananas, figs, mangos, Sugar belle citrus, atemoya, wurtz avocado, and a completely unproductive guava. Location is 9b I would like something that is low maintenance and can be kept at a manageable size. I ask now because I don’t come to south Florida that often anymore but I will be driving home in a few days and will be going by Excalibur and could bring something home. Thanks!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: What to plant next?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:14:13 AM »
Do you like lychee?
John

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:02 AM »
If you visit the area in jul-sept could take a look to Carissa, If you visit the area in october-november Acca or Persimmons can be more useful for you. There is not much point in having fruit in the months when you aren't there, but Citrus are more forgiving in that sense.

Carissa is a low and dense african shrub with "roe-deer like" thorns and leathery shiny dark green leaves. Very nice fragant inmaculate-white flowers in summer. In this sense is a multipurpose shrub, and not just a fruit bearing plant. Great for privacy and flowering. The red fruits have the size of a date, the shape of a plum and are hollow inside. Reminds a plum, sweet with a hint of strawberry taste. Some cultivars need a pollinator to bear fruit so you could want to buy two plants in different places. Very dry tolerant species when stablished in soil and normally keeping a good compact aspect without pruning all the year. Its main fault is that can be a very slow grower the first years. Eventually reaching 2m high or so.

https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/carissa.htm

Acca is a silvery shrub with red and green flowers and fruits like green eggs that are sweet inside and gritty and mint-eucaliptus flavored towards outside. Loads of fruit each year without doing anything. The inner part is fine. Just sweet and pleasantly acidic with a hint of pineaple. The flesh around it is like a gritted pear dipped in mint. The thin skin is edible but has a sour and medicinal aftertaste and I discard it. It takes some time to appreciate the fruit and not everybody likes it. Expect 2,5-3,5 meter high after many years. Persimmons grow much taller, but can be pruned.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:40:21 AM by pvaldes »

Teezalittle

• USA, Florida, Grant Valkaria, 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »
I'm also in Brevard.  My peaches are doing fine and are manageable.  Just got a loquat and a lychee will see how they do.  Barbados Cherry has been easy so far too. Pomagranite maybe? Star fruit ?
Teezalittle

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 05:16:42 AM »
Do you like lychee?

I don’t know.  I’ve never tried it. I’ve heard good things.

If you visit the area in jul-sept could take a look to Carissa, If you visit the area in october-november Acca or Persimmons can be more useful for you. There is not much point in having fruit in the months when you aren't there, but Citrus are more forgiving in that sense.

Carissa is a low and dense african shrub with "roe-deer like" thorns and leathery shiny dark green leaves. Very nice fragant inmaculate-white flowers in summer. In this sense is a multipurpose shrub, and not just a fruit bearing plant. Great for privacy and flowering. The red fruits have the size of a date, the shape of a plum and are hollow inside. Reminds a plum, sweet with a hint of strawberry taste. Some cultivars need a pollinator to bear fruit so you could want to buy two plants in different places. Very dry tolerant species when stablished in soil and normally keeping a good compact aspect without pruning all the year. Its main fault is that can be a very slow grower the first years. Eventually reaching 2m high or so.

https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/carissa.htm

Acca is a silvery shrub with red and green flowers and fruits like green eggs that are sweet inside and gritty and mint-eucaliptus flavored towards outside. Loads of fruit each year without doing anything. The inner part is fine. Just sweet and pleasantly acidic with a hint of pineaple. The flesh around it is like a gritted pear dipped in mint. The thin skin is edible but has a sour and medicinal aftertaste and I discard it. It takes some time to appreciate the fruit and not everybody likes it. Expect 2,5-3,5 meter high after many years. Persimmons grow much taller, but can be pruned.

Thanks. I will look into those.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 05:17:54 AM »
I'm also in Brevard.  My peaches are doing fine and are manageable.  Just got a loquat and a lychee will see how they do.  Barbados Cherry has been easy so far too. Pomagranite maybe? Star fruit ?

Thanks! All good ideas. I will research them all and report back. Today is the day I drive home so I may end up with a quick decision haha.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk