Author Topic: White Sapote relative ripening times per cultivar  (Read 3579 times)

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
White Sapote relative ripening times per cultivar
« on: January 03, 2021, 11:24:09 AM »
Does anyone have information on flowering and ripening times of the following white sapote varieties? If you have additional varieties you'd like added to this list, please let me know and I'll compile the data. Please note your growing region so I can take that into account. I'm hoping to map out relative ripening times. Thank you!

*edit: I’ve added some screenshots from Harvey’s white sapote page that outline some of his ripening times in the Sacramento area

Cuccio (flower: Jan/ harvest:)
Delta Gold
Denzler
Fiesta
Golden Globe
Lammertz
Lemon Gold (flower: / harvest: Dec)
Malibu #3 (flower: May / harvest: Feb)
McDill: (flower: May / harvest: Feb)
Nettie (flower: Jan / harvest:)
Pike
Rainbow
Robert’s Rainbow
Santa Cruz
Suebelle
Sunset
Vernon (flower: May / harvest: Feb)
Walton

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Re: White Sapote relative ripening times per cultivar
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 11:49:30 AM »
I have a Younhans and Vernon. They both have flowered in the last two months in  a North Carolina greenhouse maintaining about  50 degrees.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 12:40:46 PM »
What are your favorite white sapote varieties?

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »
I have 4 White sapotes: 

~ 'Redland' - grafted x 2

~ 'Suebelle' seedling x 1

~ seedlng (Unk. parentage) x 1

All are growing in full sun in pots right now 'till they are big enough to put into the ground. One of the 'Redland' is large enough to plant in ground this season and could bloom this season or maybe by next season.  It may benefit by being topped.  It is about 7-feet tall and unbranched.  Should it be topped?  When?  Down to how tall?  Should topping it encourage it to bloom?  Can the topped section be rooted easily?

The other three above-mentioned Casimroas are all under 3-feet tall right now, so aren't ready to go into the ground.

Good luck assembling your bloom season chart for all those cultivars!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:59:25 AM by Epicatt2 »

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 06:26:03 PM »
Chestnut variety is in sync with McDill here in Italy.
Sometime they both also flower in December but it's too cold here so they never produce.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 03:50:16 AM »
Chestnut variety is in sync with McDill here in Italy.
Sometime they both also flower in December but it's too cold here so they never produce.

Are there any issues in your area with the cold? Do you protect trees in any way?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 05:20:57 PM »
Here's my list, you can add some of these that are not already on your list.

My grafts are young (1yr +) so only had first fruits on Cuccio, Younghan's Gold, Fairhaven, Nettie, Bonita Springs. Only the Cuccio fruits are growing to normal size and it will probably be ripe in Sept-Nov here in CA. I will let you know when I pick some of the fruits.

Forgot to add last one, Sunset (from JF).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:46:35 PM by sc4001992 »

johnnym33315

• US, Florida, Ocala, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 09:20:44 PM »
WOW Kaz! Amazing collection, cant wait to read your thoughts of all of these. Which have you tasted so far?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 10:23:27 PM »
Only the McDill fruits and yellow sapote fruits. A friend gave me these fruits and I planted the seeds 5-6 yrs ago and now they are my seedling trees (5) that I use to graft all of these new varieties. The yellow sapote seedling trees (C.Tetrameria) is a good dwarf tree so it doesn't get to large, but my McDill seedling tress (C. Edulis) grows fast and tall. 

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 01:23:14 AM »
I think my tree may have reached everbearing stage, fingers crossed. The order of ripening is Mary Lane, Subelle, North Park, then Subelle is blooming again. It looks like Mary lane is getting ready to bloom after. I will keep checking back, but I'm excited to see consecutive crops ripening.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 07:32:23 AM »
Oolie, good info. I guess I should graft my Suebelle and Vernon on my larger McDill rootstock tree so I get more fruits next year. I have these two in a small 5 gal pot and they have not grown much but do give small fruits. Our arboretum in CSUF college will finally be open next week after the covid shutdown so I can visit and see if their adult trees have fruits now. Check out my first fruits on the Cuccio, it had 6 fruits in the cluster but it was too much for the small grafted branch and some fruits were rubbing against the branch so I removed one fruit. The largest fruit is about 3-1/2" diameter and still growing. This Cuccio is from Jonah's scions. My McDill seedling tree is about 18 ft tall now but no McDill fruits.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:32:13 PM by sc4001992 »

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 05:43:08 PM »
Since all my varieties are grown close to coast my ripening times are all over the place eating Pike right now soon will be Cuccio the other day had first small Maltby.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 06:37:16 PM »
Robert, which ones are your top 5 best tasting ?

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 07:16:00 PM »
Kaz, it's hard for me to say because many varieties have not fruited for me yet! But of my fruiting varieties so far my list would be;
1-Vernon
2-Nettie-tree ripened,Yellow wholly leaf seedling
3-Robert's Rainbow
4-Pike, Cuccio,Michele
5-Santa Cruz, Redlands
But looking forward to Lemon Gold,Leroy,Malibu #1&#3,plus newer varieties to me from you!Sadly other 46 varieties have not fruited for me yet! Well not true some have fruited once but hard to judge without multi-year production.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 07:57:20 PM »
Ok, thanks for your feedback, now I know which ones to add more grafts on the tree. I didn't have the Michelle yet but have the others on your list.
46 varieties, that's a lot, I don't think I can fit that many on one tree. But you never know, I do have 50 varieites of loquats on one tree now.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 12:02:29 PM »
Kaz, 50 varieties of loquat on one tree is impressive
Ok, thanks for your feedback, now I know which ones to add more grafts on the tree. I didn't have the Michelle yet but have the others on your list.
46 varieties, that's a lot, I don't think I can fit that many on one tree. But you never know, I do have 50 varieites of loquats on one tree now.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2021, 03:26:59 PM »
Yeah, my neighbors who pass by think my loquat trees have all those aluminum tags to keep the birds away. It looks like a christmas tree with the tags shinning in the sun. I still have at least 30 branches that can use to graft some new varieties to add to my collection. I have duplicates of the 50 varieties just in case any dies so I actually have over 135 grafts (aluminum tags) on the tree now.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »
My Cuccio fruit update. These fruits are still getting bigger so I'm not sure how much larger they will get.
Here's a few photos I took on 7/18, also measured the circumference on one fruit (12-3/4").

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 01:49:35 AM by sc4001992 »

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 06:31:20 PM »
Has anybody had a chance to work with Nettie as rootstock from cuttings for its dwarfing potential? I like what seems to be Nettie's more restrained habit. Or maybe Robert and Kaz can weigh in on other varieties with more of a 'backyard' scale? Not sure what success either of you have had with rooting WS cuttings for that purpose.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 09:55:31 PM »
I bought a McDill but it turned out to be Suebelle I think. Golden yellow to orange color when ripe, most of the time.
Don't pick the fruit when it is still hard like a rock and wait for soft -- no good as it tastes bitter. Squeeze with thumb and if it gives then it's ready. Any ripen fruits with slight wrinkle on the skin is no good as this means the fruits were picked still hard like a rock.
Full sun exposed fruits packed with so much sweet than there are a few crystalized sugar gains in the flesh.

This is why it's hard to commercialize Sapote as it has very short shelf life, if one wants to have good tasting Sapote.

I had to climb up the tree and hand pick each ripen fruits (hard fruits are useless) and this is just too much time consuming, and when I missed any, then the over ripen fruits would dropped making a big mess like glue bombs on the paver. As much as I like to eat the good one some time (can't eat too much like mango as it has so much sweet in it), I axed and dig up the big tree (too vigorous) -- planted from 3 gal graft and became a 30 footer after 9 years,  and planted a Valencia orange. 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 11:00:29 AM »
Pedroboy, I wouldn't use Nettie for a rootstock since it should be a good tasting fruit. Why don't you just grow a yellow sapoted seedling. Read the posts below by Jack, he describes which ones are best for dwarfing trees.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=42234.msg415305#msg415305
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=43944.msg429869#msg429869

I can tell you that if you keep it in a large pot, it will not grow much so that's another way to do it with any variety. But for compact growth in-ground use the yellow sapote as rootstock. My seedling yellow sapote (c. tetrameria) seedling tree in-ground is 5-6 yrs old and only 7-8 ft tall, very skinny trunk. My seedling white sapote, McDill, also 5-6 yrs old is about 20 ft tall and I have my most of my 28 varieties grafted on it.

But as mentioned by Jonah in his post below, Nettie has a dwarf type growing habit.
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=41053.msg403413#msg403413

Sounds like Nettie will make a good rootstock as well. My Nettie grafts are not large enough to make more tress so I will stick to my seedling yellow sapote for my dwarf rootstock. I have about 10 varieites grafted on my yellow sapote and since the trunk size is not large (2" diameter) the grafts should not get too large.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 11:02:54 AM »
As for trying to root sapote cuttings, it is difficult but you can do it. I rooted both white and yellow sapote from cuttings. You may get 10% take on cuttings rooted in pots outside.

Here's a white sapote (McDill seedling tree) cutting that I rooted successfully.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 11:15:23 AM by sc4001992 »

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 02:22:48 PM »
Thanks for that Kaz.

I'll follow uo on those old links - have to keep my eyes peeled for yellow sapote seeds/seedlings.

As it happens, I got my Nettie scions from Jonah as well, and the compact habit of his Nettie tree seemed like real plus to me. We're both working within the limits of pretty similar city lot sizes with fairly comparable Central Coast temps. Currently I only have a Suebelle/Frankenstein planted out, but I think my biggest Nettie is going to get a permanent home soon.

BTW - all your Big Jim and Vista scions are pushing steadily - in spite of our June/July gloom. Thanks again.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 02:37:36 PM »
Ok, good to hear you loquat grafts are doing well.

I had one of my Nettie grafted branch with fruits but I had to cut them off since it was such a small branch (12").

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 04:51:49 PM »
My Fiesta flowered in July, has small fruits now. Also have flowers on Younghan's Gold in July, has small fruits now in August.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk