Author Topic: Citrus pollen preservation  (Read 1240 times)

Zaubergau

• USA/ Mississippi/8a
    • View Profile
Citrus pollen preservation
« on: January 06, 2019, 04:08:42 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive method for short term citrus pollen preservation for a couple of months?  I would like to preserve some of the earlier cold hardier pollen types to cross with later blooming varieties.  Thanks in advance.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus pollen preservation
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »
You can collect pollen directly or collect pollen containing flower stamens, dry them at around 30C (putting for example under a lamp).
Stamens than are gently grinded by forceps, debris is removed and pollen  be put in a small envelope made from paper. You can  put several grains of rice to enhance drying.
The envelope  should be put in hermetically closed vial with a small packet of silicagel (these packets are often delivered with new electronic devices and even shoes).
 Silicagel before the use should be dehydrated  by heating in a microwave oven for 5 minutes and cooled to room temperature.
The vials are secured with plastic films  used in grafting like Parafilm or Buddy-tape.
You can store the vial with pollen for up to three months in a refrigerator or up for one year at -20C freezer.
Before the opening vials should be equilibrated at room temperature to prevent pollen wetting.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 06:28:15 PM »
Excellent post Ilya11

Zaubergau

• USA/ Mississippi/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »
Thanks llya!  That's just the info I hoped for, short of making friends with someone with a liquid nitrogen tank :).  I tried crossing Morton citrange and NC grapefruit (citrumelo) with various kumquat hybrids, but the fruits abort with new bloom flushes.  Hopefully this will extend my envelope.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 04:15:31 AM »
I can also share a tip how to make such hybrids with fresh pollen.
I have grafted poncirus and citrumelo onto several branches of Clemenules tree in a South of France. When I removed the flowers from the first spring flowering, they started to flower almost continuously until the middle of August, overlapping with  kumquat flowers.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk