Author Topic: Duncan white grapefruit  (Read 2042 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Duncan white grapefruit
« on: December 26, 2019, 08:26:25 AM »
Florida members if you'd like some seeds from the heirloom white grapefruit known as "Duncan" For a white type they are very good and sweeter than other whites I've tried. Very similar flavor to a red grapefruit. Grows true from seeds and fruits in about 5 years if happy. Many local seed grown trees here in a good friends yard that have several generations of trees that are all nearly the same fruit quality. Cold hardy to zone 8! I have fresh seeds available for trade or sale. 10 seeds for $2.50 with minimum order of 20 seeds plus shipping.

Thanks!
Trying to grow it all!

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan white grapefruit
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »
Unfortunately, I am not in Florida, or I would definitely take you up on that offer. I have read that the Duncan is an excellent tasting variety of grapefruit, marred in the eyes of the general public only by its seediness, which is not something I particularly care about. I would like to add a Duncan to my collection.

I do have a question about grapefruit seeds. Do grapefruits come true to type from seeds or are they like pomelos?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »
True grapefruit cultivars do come true from seed.  While most GF come true from seed, those types with pigmented flesh, but white albedos, (e.g.. Thompson seedless, Burgundy) don't.  They produce seedlings which are Marsh seedless, a white GF.  Those pinks and reds which have at least some blush of pink in the albedo will come true to type. (Some information in this post comes from Dr. Malcolm Manners.)

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »
It is unfortunate that you don't live here as I really enjoy them and despite the seeds are totally worth having. I have witnessed personally how true to seed they are on my friends several properties with several generations of the trees from seeds. He also has what he believes to be old Valencia orange trees dug up by his father(the son being 60+ years old now) on a island in the Chipola river called Gaskin here in Wewahitchka, FL. I do have fresh seeds from these oranges right now too if anyone in FL is looking. They too grow very true albeit I have observed on a difference in rind thickness. Otherwise they are very, very good oranges.
Trying to grow it all!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 02:28:08 PM »
Went and picked bunches of fresh fruits of both the grapefruit and oranges. Inquire via PM if interested. Would figure since all the parent trees do stellar on their own natural roots these could be used as a good rootstock. Should be hard soil and somewhat flood resistant. Many of the trees are growing where it can flood for significant periods of time and they apparently don't bat an eye at that whatsoever.
Trying to grow it all!

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »
I just ate my first Duncan fruit. It is really a very good fruit. Sweeter than other grapefruits but not too much. That is what I liked the most.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 09:35:16 AM »
Ya definitely. For a white grapefruit they are very nice and have the sweetness more like a red. On only one of my friends properties out of 7 or so locally there is probably 20-30 Duncan trees of several generations from seed. All trees have good fruit. Some trees have bigger fruits than others but good just the same. There's also on this same property 10-20 seed grown what he believes to be Valencia orange trees all of which produce good fruit other than one single tree. He said avoid the one tree when I go picking. Curious I tried one from that tree and no kidding the fruit wasn't at all good. However all other trees are good and in fact very good. Only difference I can visibly see is fruit size and rind thickness from tree to tree. Very interesting. He's got multiple other properties in the area with trees of the same gene pool that are just as good. The kumquats that are there are good too. Two distinct types one being tartish inside with sweet skin and oval shape. The others are round with sweet skin and insides. He's a huge bee keeper in the area with a multi generation family business specializing in tupelo honey. L. L. Lanier and sons is the business name if anyone wants good tupelo honey. They do ship.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:37:18 AM by D-Grower »
Trying to grow it all!

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »
Hey D grower. I would be interest in those grapefruit seeds and Valencia seeds.  ? Can we do a split of 5 grapefruit and 5 Valencia? What other seeds you got right know?