Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940687 times)

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2625 on: May 31, 2018, 02:51:06 AM »
I don't know much about the Haughton variety, other than I think its one of the 2 parent varieties of the S-8 plant, but I do know that the S-8 Sugar Dragon variety, which your plant looks quite similar to, is self fertile, and a very good pollinator for all other varieties Ive heard of. Does this plant have a single thorn in most points, thick and woody, like a rose's thorn, not spiny like a traditional cactus? Darker green skin, but leaning a bit more towards a greyer green as opposed to more of a leafy, emerald green? Its kinda hard to get a scope of the overall plant from the closeup.

That's what I heard too!
I'm not sure about the thorn. I tried looking for the thorns but there's none left. But the plant itself is like what you described, green but leans toward the grey side.

I've got about 75% self pollination and self fertilization on my Houghton this year. If you pollinate with it's own pollen you will get nearly 100%. Good luck. You can save the pollen for a while in the fridge also.

Hey Mark!!!
How you doing? Out already have flowers! I envy your weather   😁
Thanks sooo much for the cuttings and I can't believe it already set out a bud!
In about 2 weeks I guess as mentioned, I'll be able to see if the bud took or not and I'll definitely pollinate it! Hopefully I will have fruit to try this year!

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: May 31, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
Got a Bud at bottom of the dragon fruit

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: June 07, 2018, 02:40:20 AM »
Got a Bud at bottom of the dragon fruit

Nice!! Hope yours set and gives you fruit!! I just planted my S8 but no buds on that one yet.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: June 14, 2018, 07:29:23 AM »
edit/delete
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:13:13 AM by pineislander »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: June 14, 2018, 04:52:59 PM »
Here is a video showing 8 months progress on my bed of dragon fruit and pineapple. DF is an unnamed pink fleshed variety with average size and flavor which was seen to be self fertile in my area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bAZqhqw2U

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: June 15, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »
Here is a video showing 8 months progress on my bed of dragon fruit and pineapple. DF is an unnamed pink fleshed variety with average size and flavor which was seen to be self fertile in my area.

Very nice setup!  You've put a lot of work and design planning into that project.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: June 15, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »

Amazing garden.  Thanks for the video.
Brad Spaugh

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: June 15, 2018, 10:04:36 PM »
I looked at my dragon fruits and saw some really small flower buds forming.
Lots of them.
I should be happy but I have a trip coming up in about a week or so and I will be gone for another week or two.
I looked up the old posting and it appears like from an inch long bud to open flowers is about 2 weeks.  I assume that from bud to open flowers will be between 2 and 3 weeks.  Is this correct?
Any chance it will take longer? up to 4 weeks?  or should I be looking for a friend who will help pollinate while I am away.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: June 17, 2018, 06:10:05 AM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone in the Florida area grow/sell the Ax variety of dragonfruit?
Thanks, Anthony

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 17, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does anyone in the Florida area grow/sell the Ax variety of dragonfruit?
Thanks, Anthony
I grow Ax and others here in Florida

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: June 19, 2018, 12:20:58 AM »
Season starting

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 19, 2018, 04:16:39 AM »
Season starting

What variety is this?

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: June 19, 2018, 04:31:05 PM »
I don't know. Very sweet for a DF.
Most fruit trees in my yard are unknown V.

cranemit

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: June 19, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
I'm growing a few varieties of dragon fruit in South Florida, I planted a little over a year ago and they've grown pretty well. Since around May I've had some Zamorano and American Beauty flowers open, and I hand-pollinated. Every single time though, we got a nice Miami rainfall overnight, and I've heard that will typically ruin your chances, and each time the flower has fallen off within a week or so. I'm thinking about putting some kind of tarp over them, but can I do something else like cover the open flowers with garbage bags, or would that cause some damage? Also, does it need to avoid rain the entire time the flower is open for it to stand a chance, or is it only a problem if it rains after it's been pollinated?
Thanks for any info - I've been looking forward to getting some fruit this year and want to do what I can to improve my chances.

Andy

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: June 20, 2018, 11:22:26 PM »
Season starting

Very good chance what you have is this:

Also known as American Beauty

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: June 21, 2018, 03:42:45 PM »
Look very similar. We got cutting from friends and family.
So we don't know V.

We are copying you all to water DF everyday. Many fruits this year than previous years.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: June 22, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
Heres an american beauty with peruvian yellow DF "grafted" onto it.  Simon was nice enough to share some of the peruvian yellow DF with me and I am going to see if the growth rate is improved at all with a different rootstock.  They are quite slow growers even in a greenhouse so we wjll see if it helps at all.

Brad Spaugh

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: June 23, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »
Just wanted to share this beauty.  Never seen this big.
The last one is what was left from my breakfast, just too much.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:00:16 AM by Treees »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: June 23, 2018, 08:49:39 AM »
Heres an american beauty with peruvian yellow DF "grafted" onto it.  Simon was nice enough to share some of the peruvian yellow DF with me and I am going to see if the growth rate is improved at all with a different rootstock.  They are quite slow growers even in a greenhouse so we wjll see if it helps at all.

Amazing!  What kind of graft is that?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: June 23, 2018, 11:04:21 AM »
Its the drill and tap graft someone else here had a thread on not long ago.
Brad Spaugh

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: June 23, 2018, 01:48:53 PM »
I'm growing a few varieties of dragon fruit in South Florida, I planted a little over a year ago and they've grown pretty well. Since around May I've had some Zamorano and American Beauty flowers open, and I hand-pollinated. Every single time though, we got a nice Miami rainfall overnight, and I've heard that will typically ruin your chances, and each time the flower has fallen off within a week or so. I'm thinking about putting some kind of tarp over them, but can I do something else like cover the open flowers with garbage bags, or would that cause some damage? Also, does it need to avoid rain the entire time the flower is open for it to stand a chance, or is it only a problem if it rains after it's been pollinated?
Thanks for any info - I've been looking forward to getting some fruit this year and want to do what I can to improve my chances.

Andy
Bag it after you have hand pollinated.
I recall reading somewhere that people trying to develop new cultivars bag to avoid pollination by random varieties.
In your case you just need it dry.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2646 on: June 23, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »

Brad,
What is the Peruvian yellow DF?  Is it a seedling from one of the giant yellow Megalanthus fruit we are seeing sold in the U.S.?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: June 23, 2018, 04:20:16 PM »

Brad,
What is the Peruvian yellow DF?  Is it a seedling from one of the giant yellow Megalanthus fruit we are seeing sold in the U.S.?

Yes
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2648 on: June 23, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
Seen in Pomona, California...

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: June 23, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »
Nice find.  Looks like the same thing.  To be honest I am not overly impressed with the flavor compared to a good red or purple but they are very sweet. Did you buy a plant?  Or already growing yellow megalanthus perhaps?
Brad Spaugh