Bengal
Emperor
Early Large Red
No Mai Tsze
Sweet Cliff
Farwell Ranch
Hanging Green
Groff

Author Topic: Favorite Lychee Variety  (Read 42837 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Favorite Lychee Variety
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 04:56:37 AM »
Fruitlovers the fai zee sui would grow in a wide range of climates between 20 and 30 latitude and the erdon lee perhaps the same.There would be matching US areas.The size is the most stark difference from the older listed types but fai zee sui has better flesh % and taste than mauritius as well.I haven't tasted the other 2 with one only just arriving in qld and the other coming soon.

That might perhaps work in Florida, but we're oustide those parameters at 19 degrees North and surrounded by moderating temperatures extremes by the Pacific ocean. In any case it takes a long time for a new cultivar to get established and for farmers to replant.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 05:19:19 AM »
The initial fai zee sui fruited pretty well at 16.8 latitude in a moderated coastal trade wind littoral climate with 2000mm and has temp. needs like mauritius.They grew at a research station surrounded by durians,mangosteens and duku.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:10 AM »
Wow!  Seedless lychees!  We gotsa get them to S FL for evalutation! ;D
John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »
They are not just ahead on taste but those types with only 7 to 10 fruit per ib are triple the size of florida standards.All 3 types would be ideal for florida and take the place by storm.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 05:00:57 AM »
I have a great idea.If BMc drives 500 miles north and I drive 500 miles south we could meet at the farm that has erdon lee.If we hurdle the fence together an he distracts the guard dogs I could snatch a few snippets and make my escape.Later we could meet up and share the bounty.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
I have a great idea.If BMc drives 500 miles north and I drive 500 miles south we could meet at the farm that has erdon lee.If we hurdle the fence together an he distracts the guard dogs I could snatch a few snippets and make my escape.Later we could meet up and share the bounty.

Good plan.  I hope he gets on board!
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
Hey Mike T, have you tasted Sweetheart Lychees before? If so, how do they compare to Fei Zhi Siu? I looked up both their pictures and descriptions a while back and they are  very similar. The Sweethearts my friend grew were the size of golf balls and had majority chicken tongue seeds. Simon

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »
Golf Ball sized seedless lychee.... Wow, insane ..

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »
I mention lychees again and say more in the favourite tropical fruit thread but the conversation went in another direction.I have not tried sweetheart but know some enthusiasts talk about it in hushed tones of respect.Fai zee siu is good alright and you'd be spitting out bosworth in horror if you ate a FZS first.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
Just out of curiosity...How is No Mai Tze pronounced?
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 05:20:55 PM »
I have heard it pronounced three diffeent ways by three different well respected (but not Chinese) fruit people.  I have heard No My Chee, No My Tsa, and No My Tzee.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »
I have heard it pronounced three diffeent ways by three different well respected (but not Chinese) fruit people.  I have heard No My Chee, No My Tsa, and No My Tzee.

Harry

Thanks Harry! Some cultivars are really difficult to pronounce! ::)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »

Harry

Different parts of China have totally different dialects and different pronounciations. That was part of the problem in trying to standardize lychee names. I think attempt was to put everything into Mandarin dialect but didn't work out very well.
BTW, just ate yeesterday my first lychees of the season (still in April). Usually they don't start ripening till mid May. I think this year they've been earlier than ever. Think mangos are also going to be a bit earlier than usual.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »

Hehe, Mike, but the farmer doesn't look like a man to mess about with  ;)
I have family in and around Sarina, so maybe I could make good with them and coax them into doing the dirty work  8)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
BMc You only have to hold off the farmer and guard dogs for 30 seconds while I secure the specimens and make my getaway.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »
I hope that seedless lychee comes available.  Does anyone know where it can be obtained from? 

Brad
Brad

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 10:55:38 PM »
Guess I should have searched first.  Just went to top's website and saw "Late Seedless Lychee"  tree for sale.  It just says "collector's item" and is on backorder.  Hmmmm... If they can get it, other nurseries must be able to also.  I'm going to inquire at a local rare fruit nursery.

Brad
Brad

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:12 AM »
Guess I should have searched first.  Just went to top's website and saw "Late Seedless Lychee"  tree for sale.  It just says "collector's item" and is on backorder.  Hmmmm... If they can get it, other nurseries must be able to also.  I'm going to inquire at a local rare fruit nursery.

Brad
Don't believe everything, or anything, you read with respect to that website.  Even if it were not on backorder, I would not believe a word they say.
- Rob

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 04:44:20 AM »
Mike, I went to Birdwood today and they confirmed they've brought in a large seedless lychee that will floor all the others and are propagating it now. Happy days are here!
They also mentioned that they will be looking to mostly graft it as it grafts easily and will produced a stronger tree.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 04:58:45 AM »
Well howdy BMc soundd like we can call off the raid on thr erdon lee farm.Did they say if it was A4 or Donguan? I bet they rename it and it will be A1 or Don Juan.I have a friend who was looking into bringing bare rooted A4's in.The bosworth and tai so growers will be up in arms.Is it a whopper,because then it would be A4?

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 05:11:21 AM »
He said it was really large, so Im guessing A4. I'd say they will rename as A4 sounds like printer paper. Still wouldnt mind an erdon lee though as the size alone would make it of interest - and harder for a bat to run away with!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2012, 05:20:14 AM »
A4 is quoted as, to a crazy maximum of 80g and an average I think arouind 40g,Erdon Lee I can't recall but about the same I think.Fai zee siu is maybe 32g,mauritius around 28 and bosworth about 20g.
Good to see some serious action on the lychee front.Birdwood made a killing out of the columbian red dragonfruit as it is supposed to be 1kg,tasty and self fertile.The chinese yellow DF are cool tolerant,sweet and to 450g,but I digress.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 07:02:38 AM »

Brad

Hey Brad, have you ever gone to the MRFC Plant sale in Bradenton/Palmetto? Its suppose to be 2 weeks from today...let us know if you find out any info about the seedless lychee tree... Thanks~ 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2012, 07:30:10 AM »
Jason plant nursery in Guangdong is one that sells bare rooted lychees in bulk.They have a clean sweep, improved no mai chee,fai zee siu and A4 seedless.A friend who travelled the province recently said several nurseries have all 3 and I won't harp on about size or quality with lychees.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »
They will ship overseas from China. Here is their lychee varieties page http://www.fruit-trees-nursery.com/litchi.htm They are a huge operation with 3200 acres? So they say

Their mangoes http://www.fruit-trees-nursery.com/mango.htm

Jason plant nursery in Guangdong is one that sells bare rooted lychees in bulk.They have a clean sweep, improved no mai chee,fai zee siu and A4 seedless.A friend who travelled the province recently said several nurseries have all 3 and I won't harp on about size or quality with lychees.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:05:33 PM by zands »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk