Author Topic: Flexible Galaxy Mango Tree  (Read 5811 times)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Flexible Galaxy Mango Tree
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:41:07 AM »
I have a Galaxy mango tree purchased last spring as a small 3 gallon tree that seems to be growing very leggy and is almost bendable. Other then that the tree itself seems healthy and has had several nice growth spurts over this summer. I recently transplanted it from the original three gallon pot into a larger 10 gallon pot. Without propping it up it almost bends all the way down. My solution was to put a large tomato cage around it that I'll remove once it gets larger and can stand without extra support. The roots are firmly planted it just seems that the tree itself is very leggy and flexible. Am I missing something, does it need some type of special nutrient? Anyone else with a Galaxy tree notice the same attributes?     

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Flexible Galaxy Mango Tree
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:22:02 AM »
Pug it.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
Bloom Booster ?
Zone 10

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »
My rapoza was the same. I cut it free of the Zills stake and it flopped right over like it was made of rubber.  Stake the central leader with as thin a bamboo stake as will hold it up and put it somewhere that gets light exposure to wind.   Mild wind exposure and movement will send the signal that it needs to harden.
Brandon

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »
I have a Galaxy mango tree purchased last spring as a small 3 gallon tree that seems to be growing very leggy and is almost bendable. Other then that the tree itself seems healthy and has had several nice growth spurts over this summer. I recently transplanted it from the original three gallon pot into a larger 10 gallon pot. Without propping it up it almost bends all the way down. My solution was to put a large tomato cage around it that I'll remove once it gets larger and can stand without extra support. The roots are firmly planted it just seems that the tree itself is very leggy and flexible. Am I missing something, does it need some type of special nutrient? Anyone else with a Galaxy tree notice the same attributes?   

Yes, my Galaxy did the same thing.  The one I received did not have a very good root system.  In fact, if I didn't happen to see it drooping, I would have lost it to dehydration.  The first new growth did a u turn and ended up pointing to the ground.  I did not pug mine.  I gave it some bamboo support and it has now righted itself and is doing fine. It does seem to have a tendency to be leggy.  However, since it is grafted, I always prefer to wait to see what if any pruning is necessary.  Of course, this is in direct conflict with the Richard Campbell pruning theology and goes against most of the conventional thinking here on the forum. Back in the Garden Web days, I posted a thread about pruning and not pruning a Jean Ellen mango tree.  It was a long leggy stick about 4 feet tall.  I did not prune.  I'll have to post a picture of it today.  You would be surprised about its current shape and size.  I would give your Galaxy the same leeway.  Just my two cents. Here's the link to the Garden Web post:  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1221370531594.html
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »
hmmm...wonder if it has Keitt parents?

gary

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:15:12 PM »
Yes, my Galaxy did the same thing.  The one I received did not have a very good root system.  In fact, if I didn't happen to see it drooping, I would have lost it to dehydration.  The first new growth did a u turn and ended up pointing to the ground.  I did not pug mine.  I gave it some bamboo support and it has now righted itself and is doing fine. It does seem to have a tendency to be leggy.  However, since it is grafted, I always prefer to wait to see what if any pruning is necessary.  Of course, this is in direct conflict with the Richard Campbell pruning theology and goes against most of the conventional thinking here on the forum. Back in the Garden Web days, I posted a thread about pruning and not pruning a Jean Ellen mango tree.  It was a long leggy stick about 4 feet tall.  I did not prune.  I'll have to post a picture of it today.  You would be surprised about its current shape and size.  I would give your Galaxy the same leeway.  Just my two cents. Here's the link to the Garden Web post:  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1221370531594.html

I think the correct pruning technique for a Jean Ellen mango tree is to cut it flush with the ground and then pour some roundup on the roots.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »
 ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »
hmmm...wonder if it has Keitt parents?

gary

It was described as being Keitt-like when it was being promoted, so probably.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 01:57:55 PM »
You can try supplementing the watering of the mango with Silica powder, it strengthens the stems and cell walls.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »
It is a Keitt seeing

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »
It is a Keitt seeing

Exactly! Wait till it has fruit on it, the tree will be laying on the ground!
Life is good

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »
I think the correct pruning technique for a Jean Ellen mango tree is to cut it flush with the ground and then pour some roundup on the roots.

Now come on, Sheehan........I was quite sure that you were aware that Round Up only works on green leaf/stem portions of the plant and not on hardened wood. That point notwithstanding, I am not going to argue with you about the relative desirability of Jean Ellen as a must have mango cultivar.  Truth be told........if it were said that it was a must not have mango, I would only say that it is a pretty early bearer and a pretty good producer with good disease resistance. The over all eating quality is something somewhat less than top tier. (I'm trying to be kind to this former curator's choice at Fairchild)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »

Please post the the Jean Ellen photos if you get the chance. I remember that thread and your photos on Garden Web

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 07:22:16 PM »

Now come on, Sheehan........I was quite sure that you were aware that Round Up only works on green leaf/stem portions of the plant and not on hardened wood. That point notwithstanding, I am not going to argue with you about the relative desirability of Jean Ellen as a must have mango cultivar.  Truth be told........if it were said that it was a must not have mango, I would only say that it is a pretty early bearer and a pretty good producer with good disease resistance. The over all eating quality is something somewhat less than top tier. (I'm trying to be kind to this former curator's choice at Fairchild)
Funny thing is I have a slew of customers that really like it. I sell a lot of the fruit every year and they keep coming back for more!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »

Roundup will work on the cut stump of a tree and kill what's left of the tree though. I actually re-typed my original post a few times trying to figure out the best way to word the pouring of the roundup. I finally decided on "the roots" because since I said cut it flush with the ground, I figured the word "stump" would not apply, and "open would that is flush with the ground" just didn't have the same effect. I figured no one would really think so much into it but I should have known better.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »

Roundup will work on the cut stump of a tree and kill what's left of the tree though. I actually re-typed my original post a few times trying to figure out the best way to word the pouring of the roundup. I finally decided on "the roots" because since I said cut it flush with the ground, I figured the word "stump" would not apply, and "open would that is flush with the ground" just didn't have the same effect. I figured no one would really think so much into it but I should have known better.

Lawyers...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk