Author Topic: Anyone start Miracle Fruit from seed?  (Read 1931 times)

swfruittreeaddict

• az/ca
    • View Profile
Anyone start Miracle Fruit from seed?
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
Any help would be appreciated on what the steps are. Personal experience prefered

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone start Miracle Fruit from seed?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
I started mine from seed and had 100% germination once and 20% another time. The seeds were planted in May, 1/2 inch deep in potting soil, kept in shade and came up within a month. When I'd finished eating the berries, the seeds were cleaned off with an abrasive kitchen pad which may have scarified them some. At Gene Joyner's in West Palm Beach, there is a carpet of seedlings under his plant near the garden entrance.
Richard

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 02:15:33 PM »
I usually pick the fruit to eat while wandering around the yard. Tend to just throw the seeds into the pine bark mulch around and underneath the dragon fruit trellises. They seem to sprout there with no problem. Of course I am not trying to get them to sprout so they seem pretty easy.

DM

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »
If the seeds haven't been allowed to dry out, there seems to be close to 100% germination.  Just keep them warm, moist and in an acidic mix (peat moss / sphagnum moss work well for germination) and in about 2 weeks they should be sprouting.

Kevin

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 12:13:01 AM »
Use bottom heat if you can manage it. Be sure to use filtered water and it should germinate well.
My personal experience is small yoghurt cup no holes + 50/50 perlite/spagnum peat + filtered water. 29 of 30 germinated in less than 2 weeks.
seeds were 1/2 inch under soil.

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:02:23 AM »
we grow lots of this, i was just transplanting some seedling last night.  very easy only slow.

they like heat, 50% shade and high humidity.  you can germinate them in slightly moist vermiculite/sphagnum if climate is tricky, once they sprout they are pretty easy to care for.

fresh seeds to germ take 3+ weeks, can take over 6 months.  cool temps is one of the biggest things that slow them down, and also germ % drops rapidly after a while.

seeds stay fresh, if you are buying seeds, get them sent in some moist sphagnum or something.

2-3 years minimum until you see fruit in my experience.

swfruittreeaddict

• az/ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
Thank you to everyone for the responses. Ive got some fresh fruit that I will use today

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk