Author Topic: Shasta Gold mandarin  (Read 5627 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Shasta Gold mandarin
« on: February 13, 2019, 05:41:24 AM »
I've just been enjoying a few Shasta Gold mandarins. I have to say, this is one of the best varieties, in my personal opinion, and I'm not a fan of most mandarin varieties. I'd probably rate this my 2nd or 3rd favorite mandarin variety after Satsuma and Kishu.

The fruit size is very big, it's easy to peel, the skin is a deeper reddish-orange color. The fruits have a characteristic flattened shape. The flavor is very tangy, aromatic in the way of an orange, a bit tart and very flavorful.
I'd say the level of aromatic aroma is almost as high as a Page mandarin, while the type of aroma is maybe somewhere in between a Page mandarin and an orange.
These are very nice to snack on.

I've read some comments from a few people saying that Shasta Gold has an off-taste, but I don't think this is so. Might just be a personal preference thing.

Shasta Gold originated from a cross between Temple Orange and a tetraploid version of Dancy mandarin, which was subsequently crossed with Encore mandarin. (Temple orange is actually a tangor)
Shasta Gold is a triploid variety, which explains its seedlessness (there might only be 1 seed out of every 5 fruits).

I've tasted Tahoe Gold and didn't think it was as good, not really anything special.

Just for additional comparison, I'm not a big fan of Gold Nugget, despite all the hype and some people claiming they're really good.

I've tried growing two Shasta Gold plants from seed but the seedlings from this variety seem to be very week and don't grow very well for some reason.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Shasta Gold mandarin
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 01:25:23 PM »

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 10:56:03 AM »
I whole hardly agree with you on Shasta Gold and I've been trying to promote them the past few years (http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=19184.msg238562#msg238562) and I've had some luck in my area, though Satsumas are still king popularity wise. Since Shasta is later than Satsumas though it's easy to point people in that direction once the Sats have run out.  I've also had a chance to try Yosemite Gold which I like quite a bit. Haven't had a chance to try Tahoe Gold.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:57:52 AM by coyote »

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 11:58:36 AM »
I have two of each of the Gold series and two Lee Nova,s growing and having flowers now. Sprayed with GA3, hopefully get to try them. Also have now two Santa Teresa,s and two Valentine pomelo,s.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 04:24:16 PM »
I'm still a big fan of Daisy. Last year I described it as complex. Having tried many figs this year and getting a sampling of what complex flavors can really taste like (and thereby force myself to refine my palate), I would have to update my description of Daisy

Full robust taste with some rich-citrus/berry overtones. Kind of like a mandarin fruit punch aftertaste. I picked 7 yesterday even though they're not fully ripe and my kids kept asking for more.

Favorite for me in my yard.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 09:44:17 PM »
Khaled, did you recognize any of the tree,s in that bunch in the picture? No, they are in there, blooming already.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:41:32 PM »
Bob, those look great!

I have a few more hanging on my tree .

I have some Lee x nova also on a tree. Waiting to try those.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 02:51:03 AM »
I have some Lee x nova also on a tree. Waiting to try those.
I actually preferred Shasta Gold over Nova Lee. Although that could just be my personal preference.
Nova Lee is good too, if you like more conventional type mandarin flavor.

started a separate topic about that here:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=30961.0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 02:54:22 AM by SoCal2warm »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 07:28:05 PM »
Is there any nurseries making these trees or do you make your own?
Brad Spaugh

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 08:18:43 PM »
Is there any nurseries making these trees or do you make your own?
I get all sorts of rare varieties (referring to fruits) from two local markets near me. They have a surprising amount of citrus variety even though it's far away from commercial citrus growing territory.

I doubt most people would be able to find such a wide range of variety at their local markets. (Reasons: There's a big natural foods culture from the back-to-the-earth movement that a migration wave of hippies from California brought up here in the 70s, the area also has a farming tradition and many vegetables and fruit trees grow very well in the climate, so many people take more of an interest in different varieties of fruit)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:32:30 PM by SoCal2warm »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 11:54:01 AM »
Can you guys and gals have a look at this link and tell me if any of these are winners?  Ive had good luck with this nursery and may pick up a new tangerine tree.

http://clausennursery.com/citrus-trees/tangerine-trees
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:56:08 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 12:22:24 PM »
I would catorize all of them as just normal good tasting mandarins.   However the only one I would grow would be Page, not for an eating fruit, but for its juice.  Page is said to make the best orange juice possible. Currently I have an in ground page tree.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:11:31 AM by Millet »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 02:20:45 PM »
I would calorize all of them as normal good tasting mandarins.   However the only one I would grow would be Page, not for an eating fruit, but for its juice.  Page is said to make the best orange juice possible. Currently I have an in ground page tree.

Whats the top 3 or 5 mandarins Millet and others?
Brad Spaugh

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 04:49:51 PM »
Whats the top 3 or 5 mandarins Millet and others?
That's very difficult to say because it can depend very much on personal preference, and not everyone has had the opportunity to try all these varieties.

My personal opinion is Satsuma is the best (if the fruits are very fresh and come from a more mature tree), and then Kishu and Shasta Gold are both in the top three.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »
I've attended two best tasting citrus contests, one was at the Alabama Citrus Expo, and the winner of both was Xie Shan satsuma (pronounced She Shan).  It is seedless, easy pealing, early repining satsuma maturing  in October.  I have a Xie Shan satsuma and it is excellent.  Of course Dekopon would be right up there in taste.  Last weekend our local supermarket was selling Dekopon for 3 fruit for 5 dollars.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 07:54:18 AM »
Brad, Shasta Gold tastes very good. So does Sumo, I think Shasta Gold for my taste might be better. I grow the Honey and Murcott and the Honey is very sweet but fruit size is smaller and many seeds. Murcott has plenty of flesh since the skin is probably the thinnest of the mandarins, taste is sometimes very sweet (not much juice) other times average tasting. There is another variety sold in SoCal called Temecula Sweet, tastes like Shasta and fruit is large size (few seeds in each).

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »
Forgot to mention I also have Kishu, such a small fruit, its smaller than Honey, seedless and taste good but not worth growing it.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »
Can you guys and gals have a look at this link and tell me if any of these are winners?  Ive had good luck with this nursery and may pick up a new tangerine tree.

I can't believe those prices. A 5 gallon citrus here would cost you $50.00+
My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »
All of these are good fruits. My winners would be the Murcott and the Page. I have not heard bad things about the rest. My two winners are because I have them and enjoy the fruit. At this price I would get them all.😉
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:44:36 PM by Bomand »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 01:27:07 PM »

I can't believe those prices. A 5 gallon citrus here would cost you $50.00+

They are in the middle of a farming area here so many people would be buying truck loads of trees at a time.  And theres other competition in the area so prices are low there.  If you have a grove and are buying lots of trees they are even cheaper than advertised. 
Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 07:26:10 PM »
Hah, a 5gal citrus here would sell for $125+, if you can find 'em.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 08:38:35 PM »
Egad. I need to bring a load to your area. Good 4 and 5 foot trees sell for 35 and 40 dollars here. That is amazing.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 11:50:32 PM »
Shasta Gold and Yosemite Gold are very similar.

My eight year only Yosemite Gold on C-35 rootstock it doing very well and loaded with fruit for a bountiful 2020 harvest.

They are alternate bearers with high-quality fruit.  Very richly flavored with consistent production.

Either mandarin fruit tree would be a fine addition.

Johnny