Author Topic: Wetter-Sticker for BT . . .  (Read 858 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Wetter-Sticker for BT . . .
« on: July 17, 2020, 05:10:41 AM »
A couple of my young citrus trees have been very popular with the Florida Swallowtail this year and their caterpillars managed to strip off about half the leaves before I noticed them.  So I want to spray the trees with BT (Bacillus thuringiensis), and I'd like to us a wetter-sticker with it.

Not sure how the BT will react to something like a couple drops of Dawn Liquid but then got to wondering whether I could use a tiny bit of molasses instead.  Think that might provide enough sticking effect even if very well diluted and prolly wouldn't hurt the BT organism.  (Of course I wouldn't want to use so much molasses that it would encourage sooty mold; just enough that it would break the surface tention of the water.)

Or maybe there is no need to use a wetter-sticker with BT.

Comments?  Suggestions?

TIA

Paul M.
==

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Wetter-Sticker for BT . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 05:59:24 PM »
I have used a mild shampoo.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 06:54:15 PM »
Do you think the sticker will help it stick in the rain or?  BT doesnt need a sticker in my experience just a mist on the tree or plant and its there for good unless it rains. 
Brad Spaugh

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 01:37:54 AM »
BT doesnt need a sticker in my experience just a mist on the tree or plant and its there for good unless it rains.

That's encouraging to know, Spaugh, thanx.  I was intending to apply the BT using a handheld manual trigger pump sprayer.  It has an adjustable nozzle which can deliver anything from a narrow stream to a fine mist.

It is fitted with a quart bottle as its reservoir and I was thinkng that a drop of some sort of wetter-sticker would help to keep the nozzle aperture from clogging up and make it easier to rinse out after use.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 11:48:29 AM »
It takes very little BT to work.  I dont remember exact amount now but maybe 1/2 oz per gal.  So you just need a tsp in your sprayer and it wont clog.  Just a mist so it doesnt run off.  The stuff dries off and is there until it rains.  BT works super good, a few bites and the catapillars drop dead. 
Brad Spaugh

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
It takes very little BT to work.  I dont remember exact amount now but maybe 1/2 oz per gal.  So you just need a tsp in your sprayer and it wont clog.  Just a mist so it doesnt run off.  The stuff dries off and is there until it rains.  BT works super good, a few bites and the catapillars drop dead.

Thanx again Spaugh.  From the label on the BT bottle I'll only need 1/4 to a 1/2 tsp in the sprayer bottle which only holds a quart.

Makes sense that a light mist would be all that is needed.  I also was thinking that using a wetter-sticker would help the mist dry off more quickly.

So Spaugh, one question more for you: When a catterpillar has munched on a sprayed leaf and has become innoculated, how long does it generally take for the caterpillar to succumb to the BT infection?  Would that happen in only hours or would it take a day or so?

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 03:02:34 PM »
I dont knownfor sure but it seems like its really fast because there almost no damage on plants sprayed with BT.  As in they eat 1 leaf and drop dead. 

The stuff works like a champ.
Brad Spaugh