Author Topic: Looking for balanced acid mango  (Read 696 times)

Nyxsilvers

• New Orleans, 9b
    • View Profile
Looking for balanced acid mango
« on: July 22, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »
I just have one mango tree thus far, a Pickering, and while the fruit were delicious they were a bit overwhelmingly sweet. Looking for something that is sweet, but has a bit of sour/acid so it is not so overwhelmingly sweet. The ones I've been looking at are Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart, but open to other suggestions. I am in New Orleans (9b), so more cold hardy is a bonus, but I'm pretty dutiful in keeping pretty sensitive tropicals happy here.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Looking for balanced acid mango
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 02:02:41 PM »
Do you have a greenhouse?

Most varieties are pretty vigorous so it would be hard to keep trimmed and productive.

Of the dwarf varieties, Cogshall has the most acid in its flavor.
It's a decent mango, I prefer Pickering to it but it's not like we have many options for dwarf varieties.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
Zone 9b you can grow any variety mango you like.  If you're a fear cold two things you can do use the big trees South side or other microclimate or protected when is young tree until I get big . There's also a bunch of varieties of mangoes pick from biggest thing will be how humid is the area because some don't do too well with too much rain or humidity

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 06:17:34 PM »
Just pick and eat your mangos less ripe. You can have them as acidic as you like that way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk