Author Topic: Truly Tropical Fruit Stand in Delray Beach  (Read 16723 times)

LarryG

• View Profile
Truly Tropical Fruit Stand in Delray Beach
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
I paid a visit to Truly Tropical fruit stand this morning. They had at least 25 varieties of ripe mangos available for sale and tasting. I picked up 8 varieties, Dot, Edward, Cushman, Pickering, Zill, Chocanon, Lemon Meringue, and Joellen (I have never tasted the Chocanon or Joellen before). Har was also on hand to answer questions and comment on the different varieties. Here are a few pictures I took, notice the sample containers in some of the boxes. It's a great place to go and sample new varieties if you live in south Florida.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Truly Tropical Fruit Stand in Delray Beach
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
Hi Larry,

It's a very nice place. I had plans to go there today, but then I got too busy. I will try next Saturday instead. So which of the 8 varieties was your favorite? I am very curious how Pickering did.

Tomas

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:07:15 PM »

Hi Larry,

It's a very nice place. I had plans to go there today, but then I got too busy. I will try next Saturday instead. So which of the 8 varieties was your favorite? I am very curious how Pickering did.

Tomas
Tomas, my favorites of the bunch would be the Edward and Dot. The LM is also excellent, just a different taste. I only bought one Pickering and it will be a day or two before it's fully ripe. Quite frankly, I can't really remember what the Pickering tastes like. I sampled it a few years ago at the Fruit and Spice Park and I really wasn't that impressed. But after reading on this forum about the number of fruit aficionados that give it high marks, I thought I would give it another try.

Fiddlewood

• Zone 10a - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:04:09 AM »
Sounds fantastic. Where abouts in Delray

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
Sounds fantastic. Where abouts in Delray
Truly Tropical is on Seacrest Boulevard about a couple mile south of Woolbright Road.
2750 Seacrest Blvd.
Delray Beach, FL
561-278-7754

http://delraymango.blogspot.com/

- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »

Hi Larry,

Tomas
Tomas, my favorites of the bunch would be the Edward and Dot. The LM is also excellent, just a different taste. I only bought one Pickering and it will be a day or two before it's fully ripe. Quite frankly, I can't really remember what the Pickering tastes like. I sampled it a few years ago at the Fruit and Spice Park and I really wasn't that impressed. But after reading on this forum about the number of fruit aficionados that give it high marks, I thought I would give it another try.

Larry, I just checked out your fruit list, and I think you may qualify for OCD just like some of our other heroic members.  :)
I see that you have a Vallenato mango tree.  I bought one years ago for a friend, but never got to taste it.  Could you tell me how it ranks among mangos?    I trust anyone who appreciates a good Dot mango....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:19:10 PM by mangomandan »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »

Hi Larry,

Tomas

Larry, I just checked out your fruit list, and I think you may qualify for OCD just like some of our other heroic members.  :)
I see that you have a Vallanato mango tree.  I bought one years ago for a friend, but never got to taste it.  Could you tell me how it ranks among mangos?    I trust anyone who appreciates a good Dot mango....
Then you are probably going to trust most mango eating members on this forum  ;) :D
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
I see that you have a Vallenato mango tree.  I bought one years ago for a friend, but never got to taste it.  Could you tell me how it ranks among mangos?    I trust anyone who appreciates a good Dot mango....

I'm not Larry, but I have Vallenato.  It is a nice mango with a very firm flesh.  It does have some fiber, but not an objectionable amount.  It has a strong resinous twang and a very sweet flavor. The fruit gets moderate in size and colors up nicely. My Caribbean customers and friends seem to really like it.  For me, it does not belong in the top tier mango list, but its firmly in the next tier down from the top.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »
Thanks, Harry. It sounds like one I'd enjoy.  This may be the year I pay my friend a surprise visit.

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 09:15:35 PM »

Hi Larry,

Tomas

Mangomandan, the Vallenato would probaly be in the bottom 5 of the 25 varieties I have in my garden. It's main saving grace is that it's an early mango, this year it ripened first, even before my Florigon. As a "first of the season" mango, it's not too bad, but once my Glenns and Edwards start to ripen, I seem to forget all about the Vallenatos dropping from the tree. The Vallenato has nice color and is quite prolific, but because of it's fair taste it's on my "possible elimination" list along with my Carrie, Graham, and Duncan. I still have a Lemon Zest in a 7 gallon pot looking for spot in my yard so something has to go. It's all a matter of personal taste I guess, the Duncan is the favorite mango of our local retired Extension Agent Gene Joyner......Larry

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »
Mango fruit sale hours at Truly Tropical:
9:00 - 12:00 Saturday.
4:30 - 5:30 Wednesday.

(Tried a Sunday time but that wasn't worthwhile.)
Har

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 11:16:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Larry.   I'm still hoping to taste one some day. I don't mind a resinous taste, if there's plenty of sweetness.   At any rate, I'm hoping I didn't steer my friend wrong all those years ago. I remember that ease of care was his priority at the time.

We'll be interested in hearing your evaluation of Pickering.    This week I'll be tasting Duncan for the first time in many years.     I'm actually debating whether to topwork my Graham this year.  There's one aspect to the taste that I'm not crazy about, though I don't know how to describe it.

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:30 PM »
Har, thanks for posting the hours. 

I normally work till six Wednesdays,  but with so many varieties I think Truly Tropical will be worth taking a bit of vacation time.

LarryG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, Larry.   I'm still hoping to taste one some day. I don't mind a resinous taste, if there's plenty of sweetness.   At any rate, I'm hoping I didn't steer my friend wrong all those years ago. I remember that ease of care was his priority at the time.

We'll be interested in hearing your evaluation of Pickering.    This week I'll be tasting Duncan for the first time in many years.     I'm actually debating whether to topwork my Graham this year.  There's one aspect to the taste that I'm not crazy about, though I don't know how to describe it.
Dan, I ate my first Pickering last night along with my first Chocanon. I thought the Pickering was good but nothing special. I liked the Chocanon better so I'm glad I have a tree in my yard (it hasn't bloomed yet in 4 years). As for the Graham, I don't care much for the unusual tatse, but it has a very pleasant aroma. Since it's a seedling of the Julie, I give my fruit to my friends from Jamaica and Trinidad, they really enjoy it.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »

Dan, I ate my first Pickering last night along with my first Chocanon. I thought the Pickering was good but nothing special. I liked the Chocanon better so I'm glad I have a tree in my yard (it hasn't bloomed yet in 4 years). As for the Graham, I don't care much for the unusual tatse, but it has a very pleasant aroma. Since it's a seedling of the Julie, I give my fruit to my friends from Jamaica and Trinidad, they really enjoy it.
Now that is funny...the consensus here and around mango world is a strong dislike for Choc Anon.  I haven't had any from Truly this year but I did last year and I wound up ditchng them.  They were pretty bad (average to poor flavor, firm/"dry" with enough fiber to make it in the bottom portion of my list).
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
Now that is funny...the consensus here and around mango world is a strong dislike for Choc Anon.  I haven't had any from Truly this year but I did last year and I wound up ditchng them.  They were pretty bad (average to poor flavor, firm/"dry" with enough fiber to make it in the bottom portion of my list).

I think "strong dislike" is a bit strong.  For me, Chou Anon is typical SE Asian in flavor.......sweet with no complexity.  Not bad tasting......and the ones I have had did not have any fiber at all.  So, there seems to be a bit of differing expereinces here.  Not sure why.  The problem that I have is that the reason for growing Chou Anon is to have off season crops....which mine never had.  The flavor is, at worst, unremarkable for me.

Harry
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:55:43 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »

I think "strong dislike" is a bit strong.  For me, Chou Anon is typical SE Asian in flavor.......sweet with no complexity.  Not bad tasting......and the ones I have had did not have any fiber at all.  So, there seems to be a bit of differing expereinces here.  Not sure why.  The problem that I have is that the reason for growing Chou Anon is to have off season crops....which mne never had.  The flavor is, at worst, unremarkable for me.

Harry
When I said "string dislike" I meant it more of a "blanket/consensus" in that it is not one that comes off as well liked/promoted.  If it had a typical Asian flavor than I would have liked it.  Are you grouping it with NDM, PSM, PPK, and the grand daddy of them all...Mahachanok ?  While I love SE Asian mangoes and feel the NDM may not be that complex, I do feel the others I have named do have complexity to them.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
When I said "string dislike" I meant it more of a "blanket/consensus" in that it is not one that comes off as well liked/promoted.  If it had a typical Asian flavor than I would have liked it.  Are you grouping it with NDM, PSM, PPK, and the grand daddy of them all...Mahachanok ?  While I love SE Asian mangoes and feel the NDM may not be that complex, I do feel the others I have named do have complexity to them.

My response would be that you are comparing apples to oranges to some extent.  When I say that Chou Anon tastes like the typical SE Asian mango, I am not referring or comparing to the elite of SE Asian mangoes.  Firstly, Maha Chanok shouldn't even be in consideration for comparison as it is mixed with something else......as indicated by it not being poly-embryonic (as most SE Asian mangoes are).  PPK is from Burma (Myanmar) and that's a lot closer to the Indian sub-continent and could be partially excluded from consideration on either that basis or that it is more of an elite flavor if you want to throw it into the SE Asian mango classifcation.  So, PPK and NDM would possibly be two SE Asian mangoes that have some (not all that much in the cae of NDM) complexity.  Thai Everbearing would be another.  There may be more, but they are limited.  By and large, the SE Asian mangoes are sweet with no complexity and the ones that I grow that bear out this statement include.......Brahm Kai Mea (Meu), Falang (Fralan), Philippine, Dian Guaw, Tong Dam, Okrung, Okrung Tong (Pi Kun Tong), Ivory (perhaps also called Tog Bi Con),  Keow Savoy, Nong Sang, Rhett Tong,  Ta Rob Nok, and yes, I would also class PSM in the group of one dimensional mangoes.  So, I will stick to my statement that, like most SE Asian mangoes, Chou Anon is one dimensional and is not really any worse in flavor than any of the SE Asian cultivars I mentioned.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »
I finally had a chance to visit Truly Tropical on Thursday afternoon.  The proprietor, Chris, is a lovely, charming woman.

I got to try a couple varieties that were new to me, and am looking forward to tasting a seedling variety they grow.  It was also a chance to re-sample Pickering and Cogshall. So far, for me, Cogshall still has more flavor. It has that subacid undertone, beneath all the sweetness, that Jeff mentioned as being less noticeable in Pickering than in some others.

Har was there, helpful as always. I heard him mention that Zill's also has a fruit stand. I knew their nursery was strictly wholesale, so I had no idea they sold fruit to the public.  I'm going to ask the Google where the fruit stand is.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 08:46:24 PM »
Did they still have or did you get to taste the Dupius Saigon?  As a very early variety it has my attention.

Bill

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 10:24:16 PM »
Though Zill High Performance Plants in Lake Worth does also retail mango fruits in their front office, the Zill Mangos fruit stand that I was referring to is about a mile northeast of Truly Tropical.

Verna and Walter Zill, two blocks east of Bethesda Hospital.  Some of the fruit they sell is from Truly Tropical.
Har

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 12:37:10 AM »
Did they still have or did you get to taste the Dupius Saigon?  As a very early variety it has my attention.

Bill

I had written down several varieties mentioned on their website, but did not think to ask about Dupius Saigon.  >:(

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 12:38:51 AM »
Though Zill High Performance Plants in Lake Worth does also retail mango fruits in their front office, the Zill Mangos fruit stand that I was referring to is about a mile northeast of Truly Tropical.

Verna and Walter Zill, two blocks east of Bethesda Hospital.  Some of the fruit they sell is from Truly Tropical.

Thank you, Har.

chicomoralessxm

• Caribbean St. maarten zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 04:36:39 PM »
Does anyone know if truly tropical has a website?
was trying to find one or an email address?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »
Does anyone know if truly tropical has a website?
was trying to find one or an email address?

http://delraymango.blogspot.com/p/truly-tropical-fruit-and-fruit-trees.html

has their phone number...... I don't see email address but maybe you can find it there.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »
I did not know that Mangos where still available!
Zone 10

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 08:17:46 PM »
I did not know that Mangos where still available!

I didn't see where TT has mangos available.  That would be ridiculous!
- Marley

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 08:32:44 PM »
This time of year, Truly Tropical sells very small numbers of Sugar-Apples, Carambolas, Black-Sapotes.  Last month had a few Jaks.

In late winter will have Caimitos, Tamarinds, and Sapodillas.

Also sells fruit trees--- most from Zill's, but also some grafted on the premises.

Now also sells several kinds of fertilizers:  Calcium Sulfate, Tiger-90 Sulfur, Helena's 8-2-12, and my formulation, 0-3-16 ( for late fall and winter use, and for mature mangos, etc).

I will be selling there tomorrow.

See Chris Wenzel's  delraymango.blogspot.com

and the Truly Tropical  Facebook page.   Both are updated weekly.
Har

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »
This time of year, Truly Tropical sells very small numbers of Sugar-Apples, Carambolas, Black-Sapotes.  Last month had a few Jaks.

In late winter will have Caimitos, Tamarinds, and Sapodillas.

Also sells fruit trees--- most from Zill's, but also some grafted on the premises.

Now also sells several kinds of fertilizers:  Calcium Sulfate, Tiger-90 Sulfur, Helena's 8-2-12, and my formulation, 0-3-16 ( for late fall and winter use, and for mature mangos, etc).

I will be selling there tomorrow.

See Chris Wenzel's  delraymango.blogspot.com

and the Truly Tropical  Facebook page.   Both are updated weekly.

Wow thanks for the info 'Har' are you the owner? Do you guys ship within florida? and do you have 1-3gallon trees?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 01:54:01 AM »
No, Har is not the owner.  He can be seen there at times helping in the care if tye grove and selling fruit.  He is extremely knowledgeable and will not steer you wrong.

The owner is Chris Wentzel who is also very knowledgeable and is known to be tyere to help and answer questions for the customers.

They have never done any shipping as far as I know.
- Rob

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 03:02:32 AM »
Oh no thats a shame, dont live in the states but if I can would love to get a few trees from them, have a miami address.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »
Just local sales at the farm.
Har

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 07:11:41 PM »
too bad i will have to see if i  can find some good samaritan pass there and mail me some of there plants :)