Author Topic: Bloomsweet  (Read 11640 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Bloomsweet
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 01:42:22 AM »
Yorgos, I was wondering if you have tasted either the cocktail grapefruit or the valentine grapefruit. If you did, can you give me a comparison of the bloomsweet to either of these I mention. If it tastes better then I might want to include it in my garden.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 10:53:32 PM »
Ive had cocktail and found it neither a tasty grapefruit or a good orange.  Same with the golden grapefruit.  I have had some excellent white fleshed grapefruit, either marsh or Duncan.  A good ruby red cannot be beat, in my opinion.  I've never had Valentino. Bloomsweet are pretty good come late February and they are easy to peel.  They just have a lot of seeds to reckon with.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2019, 10:06:48 AM »
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I think you may have tasted a cocktail grapefruit that was not ripe. I have a few cocktail trees from different sources and I do notice that one tree has fruits that is not as good as my original fruiting tree. My original tree scion wood came from a know CRFG (club member) friend who got one of the first cuttings when it was not out in the public. This is the fruit that is very sweet and juicy, everyone I give the fruits love it, much more than any grapefruit they have tasted. The second tree I purchase from a nursery (4yrs ago) has fruits that are not much to talk about, sounds like what you mentioned.