Author Topic: Which Variety of Sapodilla for CA?  (Read 13187 times)

MMMMommy

• View Profile
Which Variety of Sapodilla for CA?
« on: June 01, 2012, 12:56:43 PM »
I only have a few spots left in the yard, and would love to plant a Sapodilla.   Which one should I choose between these two?  I'd like one that is sweeter, have higher yield and less "sandy" in texture.

I live in SoCal & those are the only two varieties I've seen in nurseries around here... I wonder if there is a better variety out there than these two & where to order it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:01:28 PM by murahilin »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Manilkara vs Mamey Sapodilla?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
I would go with a Hasya. Very smooth texture and not grainy. I have a tree that's been on the ground for 2 years and it started to flower within a few months and has never stop. I expect the fruit to hold this year.

JF

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »
I would go with a Hasya. Very smooth texture and not grainy. I have a tree that's been on the ground for 2 years and it started to flower within a few months and has never stop. I expect the fruit to hold this year.

JF

Where did you buy your tree??

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
Depends where you live......if you are from SoFL there are tons of Nurseries around. If you are in the LA area than I would recommend Mimosa in East LA.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
When I came to the Mimosa in LA, they only have Manilkara.. The one in Anaheim only has Mamey.. Another family-owned nursery (they sell from their backyard!) only have Manilkara..

I have not seen any other varieties. 

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
I only have a few spots left in the yard, and would love to plant a Sapodilla.   Which one should I choose between these two?  I'd like one that is sweeter, have higher yield and less "sandy" in texture.

I live in SoCal & those are the only two varieties I've seen in nurseries around here... I wonder if there is a better variety out there than these two & where to order it.

I think there is a misunderstanding regarding those labels. "Manilkara" is the genus that the sapodilla belongs to and not a type of sapodilla. The scientific name of sapodilla is Manilkara zapota.

I have never heard of "Mamey Sapodilla". Can someone else in CA verify that this is an actual cultivar and not just a mislabled Mamey Sapote?

In regards to your question for a better variety of sapodilla, I would have to agree with JF and recommend the Hasya. Even though I don't really like the taste of sapodilla myself, most people I know like the taste of the Hasya best compared to the other cultivars.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 04:08:06 PM »

I think there is a misunderstanding regarding those labels. "Manilkara" is the genus that the sapodilla belongs to and not a type of sapodilla. The scientific name of sapodilla is Manilkara zapota.

I have never heard of "Mamey Sapodilla". Can someone else in CA verify that this is an actual cultivar and not just a mislabled Mamey Sapote?

In regards to your question for a better variety of sapodilla, I would have to agree with JF and recommend the Hasya. Even though I don't really like the taste of sapodilla myself, most people I know like the taste of the Hasya best compared to the other cultivars.

Thanks for the clarification.   I'm very new at this.. and only go by what I see on the tags, or from speaking to the people working @ the nursery.  I thought those are two varieties of the same thing.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Which Variety of Sapodilla for CA?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 05:04:13 PM »
I am in So Cal and I have Prolific in my yard, its been in ground for a little less than a year. I was told that Prolific performs just as its name suggests, and does well in So Cal. I got mine from Plantogram mail order.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »
I have [Alano] this year from a friend's suggestion. I don't know much about it but it does grow well.

edited to insert cultivar name. It got lost the first time..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:26:00 AM by fyliu »

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 09:42:17 PM »
If you can locate one, I'd recommend a Hasya  ;D
Tim

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 10:45:33 PM »
I have an Alano in the ground for almost 3 years now and have had no problem adjusting to Cali. weather except that it's a slow grower.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 12:23:15 AM »

Shmuraeehan - I have had a couple of customers ask about mamey sapodilla when referring to sapodilla.  If my memory is correct, their ethnicity was from the Caribbean islands.

As far as recommendations, Hasya is excellent and Alano is a very consistent quality sap (at least in SFla).  I would stay away from Silas Woods mainly due to its small size (low flesh to seed/skin ratio).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:53:44 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 02:29:05 AM »
Do you grow different varieties to extend the season to most of the year? I see one of the Online Library threads has sapodilla taste ratings with the fruting season for each

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 09:13:38 AM »
Shmuraeehan - I have had a couple of customers ask about mamey sapodilla when referring to sapodilla.  If my memory is correct, their ethnicity was from the Caribbean islands.

As far as recommendations, Hasya is excellent and Alano is a very consistent quality sap (at least in SFla).  I would stay away from Silas Woods mainly due to its small size (low flesh to seed/skin ratio).

That's interesting. I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone ask about mamey sapodilla at the nursery. Do you know which Caribbean island they were from? In Trinidad for example they call the Mammea americana, Mamey sapote (pronounced 'see poat') but you said they were referring to sapodilla so I am not sure.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 11:46:56 PM »

That's interesting. I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone ask about mamey sapodilla at the nursery. Do you know which Caribbean island they were from? In Trinidad for example they call the Mammea americana, Mamey sapote (pronounced 'see poat') but you said they were referring to sapodilla so I am not sure.
No, I don't know their origin and yes, I agree that it makes no sense.  I ask them if the mean the americana or even the mamee apple but both insisted it was a sap and they purchased a sap, so who knows...possibly just misinformed and weren't interested in learning??
- Rob

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »
I'm a REGULAR customer at Mimosa LA and they always have sapodilla available.....My last visit was about a week ago and they have at least 20 plants avail in 3gal...makok, alano, haysa, moreno and molix....with name tags
The sapodillas are hard to miss.......right behind the mamey/next to all the rarer tropicals.
Cheers
DT

Maybe I wasn't there often enough... The last time I was there (about 3 mo or so ago) they didn't have any!!  Do you know how much they charged for their trees?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 01:48:19 AM »
$60 for a sapodilla is really reasonable. I'll have to visit them soon. Haysa is one I don't have so I'll be looking for it since it's so highly regarded here.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 11:02:08 PM »
Got mine for $40  ;)
Tim

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »
I should add.....They list/want 85 for it....but sell to me for 60 since i bought so many trees from them.

Hi David

they are very small trees. I saw them 2 months ago on my last visit. $60-70 is a fair price for our area.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »
That's not too bad given 2-3years time. Is it grafted? Flowering?
Papaya tree has ones that size with multiple fruits, but much more expensive.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 01:13:49 AM »
Hi Joe....  :)....

Sapo from mimosa.....

Dave

that's a nice one. the ones I ones I saw were about 2 feet with a very thin trunks. PTN's prices are ridiculous he would sell this one for $200.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 01:48:15 AM »
Hi Joe....  :)....

Sapo from mimosa.....

Dave

that's a nice one. the ones I ones I saw were about 2 feet with a very thin trunks. PTN's prices are ridiculous he would sell this one for $200.

~$150 at Papaya tree, the one I mentioned earlier with 2 fruits already on it.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 04:07:14 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if folks have tried Sapodillas in Northern California, and if so which varieties have done well.  I have a Silas Wood, which I got *because* of its small fruit (smaller fruits seem to ripen better in cooler climates), but it's small so it'll probably be years before it fruits.

Anyone tried any of the standard cultivars, or tried out seedlings?

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
This is my Alano.. first year in ground.. it's been growing good since our summer and the hot days we have been getting then.. hoping to get some fruit next year? haha, sorry I read your post, and you said NORTHERN california.. I'm in Southern CA..

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm happy to hear about reports of success even in Southern California, since that give me more data on what microclimates work and don't work.  I'm not exclusively curious about Northern California -- even hearing about anyone growing Sapodilla around Santa Barbara would be great, because that'd mean that good microclimates in Northern California could do it too.