Author Topic: "Bulletproof" Mango List  (Read 18806 times)

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
"Bulletproof" Mango List
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »
I'm looking for a list of Florida's most disease resistant, aka "Bulletproof," mangos that are good producers and are considered very good (or better) flavor.  I've come to the realization that I don't want to deal with chasing anthracnose around in hopes of getting a few fruit from a large tree.  I don't mind feeding and watering but if the tree doesn't set fruit well in South Florida's humid, rainy, and unpredictable weather I'd rather not fight with mother nature.   

PPK, Southern Blush, Maha Chanok, Brahm Kai Meu, Pickering, Duncan, ... what else????

Eventhough I love a Dot, I am strongly considering replacing it with something that doesn't turn black everytime it rains...  I don't have the yard space to collect trees that are not producing.

Harry,

Did you ever post your list of most disease resistant, aka "bulletproof," mangoes that still produce well?   

Whcih mangos would you describe as bulletproof?
Oscar

Your question has caused me to re-think my use of the word "bulletproof" as it relates to mangoes.  I think it would be better to class mangoes by level of resistance.....as I think there may not be a mango that is truly bulletproof.  And, what is highly resistant here may not be somewhere else to some disease pathogen that is more prevelent elsewhere or that takes a slightly different form.

That being said, there are many mangoes that enjoy very high resistance to disease here in Florida. And when I use the word resistance, I mean not only that the tree doesn't get the disease at all, but that even if it gets the disease, it still sets a full crop. I think all mangoes have some susceptability to powdery mildew and anthracnose.  It just comes with the territory. But, with a nice helathy tree, the more resistant will not be adversley afftected overall.

Most of the SE Asian culivars show very high disease resistance. One that sticks out in my mind is Brahm Kai Mea (or Meu) depending on who you ask and have the name translated by. I think I did a list or responded to a list labelling the relative disease resistance that I have expereinced with various cultivars.  Maybe someone has that post from Garden Web......or maybe I can find it and post it here. Of the Indian type mangoes, of course, Tommy Atkins is as resistant as they come.  I have only a small token tree grown in a shady spot that barely produces.  I have it just to say I have a complete collection.  However, my neigbhbors have 7 or 8 trees and they produce faithfully and without any need for spraying beautiful, but unfortunately inferior fruits.  I am very impressed with the disease resistance of Pickering and also of Tebow/Young (despite its flavor being overhyped).  Carrie and Florigon are some others that do have high resistance here. I am sure I am forgetting a particularly resistant mango or three as I sit here this morning. I'll update later after I check for that list I was referring to.

Harry

HI Harry, thanks for the info. Yes would be nice to see your full list of resistant mango cultivars. With our heavy rains they can really take a beating here. BTW, there is no correct english writing for Thai words, as they are all transliterations from Thai pronounciations. That is why there will be many different versions. Also in different areas of Thailand they will pronounce the words differently.
Oscar
JC

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: "Bulletproof" Mango List
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »
From my limited experience,  Valencia Pride, and Keitt.   Or VP in Fla, has never been sprayed, I put it in the ground, and there she is, a monster that can be seen on google earth.

Keitts were tested here in the DR in humid wet areas, and chosen because of good taste, productivity and disease resistance. 

I am sure there are many good ones, but those two, are good quality and healthy.

Only cons are,  VP grow big and fast,  and Keitts have a scraggly spreading growth habit.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:17:47 PM »
Well I have hayden, kent, beverly, and valencia pride, and I second the motion on vp.  They do quickly grow into monsters, but it could always be chopped back if that's an issue.  In addition to the fact that vp seems virtually impervious to anthracnose, it is very prolific and the fruits are just huge.  They are virtually stringless and the flavor is exquisite, with hints of pineapple and coconut.  The only downside from my perspective, they tend to bloom in mid january, right before the 'only' frost here in this area, west of tampa bay.  It will produce a second flush of flowers in feb, but much less numerous, so most years the crop is greatly reduced.  My only other problem, the squirrels like to chew them while still green and not yet ready to pick, but what the hell ya gonna do?

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
I selected the most disease resistant and manageable plants I could locate and chose NDM4, Mallika, Pickering and Maha Chanok. No problems with any of these yet. I have heard Chris Rollins speak approvingly of Florigon. Angie may be a good one too. I don't have much experience in this area.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:34:26 PM by phantomcrab »
Richard

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:48:30 PM »
How about a list for California and Florida?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:10:49 AM »
While Dot is on the extreme susceptibility list, I would treat every mango tree as equal when it comes to flowering and spraying for anthracnose (or powdery mildew).  All blooms can be susceptible if the conditions are right, or wrong in this case, and it is not worth a poor fruit set to not spray.

Now, as far as the trees being resistant when it comes to "non-flowering" periods, I would look at the following: Pickering, Duncan, Keitt, Mahachanok (from what I have seen), Gary, Carrie, Cogshall. Fairchild, Florigon, Glenn, Van Dyke, Mallika (I would not be surprised if Imam Pasand and Neelam had decent resistance), NDM and VP.  There are also a number that may not be in the group of resistant but do very well, produce well and less susceptible in the SFla humidity: Southern Blush, Graham, PPK, Bombay.
- Rob

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 07:16:37 AM »
I agree with spraying for preventative measures and increased fruit set.  Trees like Dot are just too high maintenance for me, especially when we have a wet winter.  Otherwise my Dot is healthy as can be and new leaves don't seem to be very susceptibile to "thrac." Opposite the Dot is the BKM.  Some of the panicles on the BKM have developed some anthracnose, but with a little localized treatment, it did not spread and the panicles still remain healthy and full. 

I currently have a BKM, VP, Southern Blush, Mallika, Beverly, Rosigold, Maha Chanok, 2 Pickerings, Ice Cream (in a pot), Neelam, Dot, and Lancetilla.  At this point I'm looking to replace the Dot with a large, highly productive and resistant cultivar.  If PPK is a good producer under S Fla conditions that may be first in line.  Are there any others that i dont have that you ladies and gents can think of that are not mentioned yet. 

I'll probably replace the Lancetilla at some point too.  That site will require a medium sized tree/compact grower. 

I'm not as concerned about the Ice Cream since that will be more of an ornamental potted plant for quite some time. 

I have already reserved spots for a BAT, Angie and NDM4. 

While Dot is on the extreme susceptibility list, I would treat every mango tree as equal when it comes to flowering and spraying for anthracnose (or powdery mildew).  All blooms can be susceptible if the conditions are right, or wrong in this case, and it is not worth a poor fruit set to not spray.

Now, as far as the trees being resistant when it comes to "non-flowering" periods, I would look at the following: Pickering, Duncan, Keitt, Mahachanok (from what I have seen), Gary, Carrie, Cogshall. Fairchild, Florigon, Glenn, Van Dyke, Mallika (I would not be surprised if Imam Pasand and Neelam had decent resistance), NDM and VP.  There are also a number that may not be in the group of resistant but do very well, produce well and less susceptible in the SFla humidity: Southern Blush, Graham, PPK, Bombay.
JC

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 07:19:25 AM »
Dot might be good for you all SoCal if you have dry weather during bloom.

How about a list for California and Florida?
JC

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:35:13 AM »
JC,
My baileys marvel and florigon set fruit well without spraying at my location.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »
can you describe the Florigon flavor?  I think I remember it being an earlier culitvar?...  Tree size, vigor, compact?  maybethat can replace my lancetilla.   

JC,
JC

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:58:33 AM »
Diversify by planting both kinds of mangoes. Poly-embryonic and mono-embryonic. So if your poly-embryonic trees are having problems in a particular year, your mono-embryonic are not. And vice versa.

natsgarden123

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:10 AM »
can you describe the Florigon flavor?  I think I remember it being an earlier culitvar?...  Tree size, vigor, compact?  maybethat can replace my lancetilla.   

JC,

My sister has this tree-bought as a 3 gallon 7 years ago- never pruned-now its really big-so I'd call it vigorous. She has never has any issues with disease.   This is my kid's favorite mango. They are yellow and small in size-sweet.   It's an early variety fro her.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »
I would not categorize Florigon as a vigorous tree.  The fla or in some years can be excellent and some years seems average.  The fruit is on the smaller side and the tree is also (not like Pickering but somewhat like Beverly).
- Rob

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »
Zands i thought your idea to diversify is a great idea . Poly mangoes can keep the species going especially if the "Mother" plant dies of disease/ age. Great point !

natsgarden123

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
I would not categorize Florigon as a vigorous tree.  The fla or in some years can be excellent and some years seems average.  The fruit is on the smaller side and the tree is also (not like Pickering but somewhat like Beverly).

Uh the tree is 20++ feet tall.....the tag had said Florigon, maybe it was wrong?
 Extremely healthy tree-never any issues. Its in the front of her house so sadly  it has been a mango thief target.  The mangos are really good- my kids favorite.   I would plant one myself but I'm limited and I have my eye out for a maha.

My Carrie mango seesm to be bulletproof...

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
Zands i thought your idea to diversify is a great idea . Poly mangoes can keep the species going especially if the "Mother" plant dies of disease/ age. Great point !

Plus if there are mango problems it is usually the mono-embryonic that are getting anthracnose while the poly-embryonic are more anthracnose resistant but can get powdery mildew. Both those are funguses. So in a year with lot of anthracnose the poly-embryonic mangoes should do better

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »

I had no idea that there was a relation between poly/mono - embryonic cuitivars and their susceptibility to PM and Anthracnose... Intresting

Plus if there are mango problems it is usually the mono-embryonic that are getting anthracnose while the poly-embryonic are more anthracnose resistant but can get powdery mildew. Both those are funguses. So in a year with lot of anthracnose the poly-embryonic mangoes should do better
JC

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 07:18:04 PM »

Not sure I agree at all with your assessment of poly vs mono...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »
Lemon Zest is polyembryonic
Jeff  :-)

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 08:10:53 PM »
Is the great and powerful Lemon Zest:

1) highly disease resistant; and
2) a consistantly heavy bearer?

I'm heavily leaning towared LZ's mama, PPK, aka LM.  Can you convince me otherwise?

Lemon Zest is polyembryonic
JC

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »
Pine Island has a variety viewer that shows disease resistance and productivity.

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/index.shtml
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 08:54:26 PM »
As to LZ, I can't anser the resistance issue but I would say it is not a heavy bearer.

As to Pine Island s viewers...do not follow them as v ospel as they are as much of a marketing tool than anything.   I would be more inclined to follow Fairchild's webpage on mangoes.  Will post the link later.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 09:04:03 PM »
I wonder if the polyembryonic Lemon Zest seed can produce identical or even improved clones.
Alexi

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 09:30:02 PM »
Don't gorget the Duncan that you had on your original list, productive, very resistant, good eating and doesn't become a huge tree.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 10:14:46 PM »
'Madame Francis' is another dependable, clean, heavy producer, with large fruits, and common decent flavor, far better than 'Tommy Atkins' or 'Keitt'.

I am favorably impressed with 'Quidnow' also.

I would not include 'Southern Blush' or 'Bombay' or 'Graham' on this list.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk