Author Topic: Fairchild 2015 Mango Festival  (Read 28874 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Fairchild 2015 Mango Festival
« on: January 03, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
It is January 3rd so why not start talking about....never to early.  😄

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/Events-Community-Outreach/Mango-Festival

Look forward to Future's Fifth Florida Feast.  I do!  😃

Here is the Fourth

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Fairchild 2015 Mango Festival
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 01:57:14 AM »
maybe the theme will be Zill's new mango varieties.  I know it won't be but that would be awesome!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
still no theme released?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »
If Richard Campbell is opening with this as his subject, it should at least be substantially the theme of the festival.

Saturday, July 11
1:00 p.m. Lecture by Richard Campbell, Ph.D., Director of Horticulture,
Fairchild
Garden House
The Mangoes of Jamaica
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 03:10:48 PM »
Awesome!

Then I'll be there...
Just returned from Jamaica yesterday, and it's amazing to see...mangoes everywhere!!

Such a rich and historic mango production and consumption culture..

I have a few pics I'll try to upload later.
always longing for a JA Julie

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
Woohoo!  East Indian, hariy mango, and Black mango!!  ;)
~Jeff

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:35:54 PM »
Don't forget Bombay, Julie, Kidney, Lady Finger, Robin, #11 and the ubiquitous Common Mango.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »
Woohoo!  East Indian, hariy mango, and Black mango!!  ;)

:( :-[ :-\ :'( :blank:
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
Please don't impugn the world's best mangoes   ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
JA redeemed themself with Bombay though--one of my favorites!!
~Jeff

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »
Don't forget Bombay, Julie, Kidney, Lady Finger, Robin, #11 and the ubiquitous Common Mango.

While i can deal wigh Bombay. ..Julie is actually of Trinidad origin  and the others, well, cant speak for them personally.   Maybe there will be a hidden gem pulled out of the woodwork.
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
PS..I managed to "import" a couple perfect Julies  yesterday in my checked luggage (don't judge me)...the US customs beagle apparently found the other 2 Julies and 1 east Indian in my other checked bag unfortunately.. it was actually quite amusing to see just how many people from my flight were caught by the beagles by the baggage claim belt.. I counted 5 travelers from my flight who got their mangos taken away.. didn't know the beagles were specifically trained on sniffing out and responding in a specific way to mangos. Also you can't tell me these customs agents destroy all that they find. With most of them at MIA  being Hispanic and thus probably knowing and appreciating mangos...I'm sure a few find their way home.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »

While i can deal wigh Bombay. ..Julie is actually of Trinidad origin  and the others, well, cant speak for them personally.   Maybe there will be a hidden gem pulled out of the woodwork.
sorry Rob..that's actually not a verifiable fact and will be disputed for eternity amongst Jamaicans and Trinis. ..driving now but I will come back to this post later to explain why...

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 06:07:58 PM »
I like East Indian BUT only when cut up to enjoy. Straight out of hand is just too much work lol. Dark orange sweet juicy flesh with a nice turpintiney burn.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 06:20:05 PM »
Some Jamaicans I talked to online have been mentioning "Blackie" as their favorite newer mango. Bombay is a personal favorite of mine, a nice complex flavor like a good curry.

I stopped in Jamaica on February 12th of this year and was surprised to see mangos in the market that early. I was only able to locate Julie (on the left) and East Indian (right), pictured below. They tasted OK, nothing special. I imagine it might get better in the summer?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:22:27 PM by BrettBorders »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »
With such amazing descendants from Julie, it seems justifiable for folks to claim her as their own!

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 06:33:21 PM »
Some Jamaicans I talked to online have been mentioning "Blackie" as their favorite newer mango. Bombay is a personal favorite of mine, a nice complex flavor like a good curry.

I stopped in Jamaica on February 12th of this year and was surprised to see mangos in the market that early. I was only able to locate Julie (on the left) and East Indian (right), pictured below. They tasted OK, nothing special. I imagine it might get better in the summer?

Correct.

Mangos are pretty much always available at any given time in Jamaica (Jamaica is an amazingly fertile place for agriculture)..with summer obviously being the height of mango season, off season mangos tend to not be as good.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 06:38:39 PM »

I planted out a tree I bought from Maurice Kong, labelled Jamaican Black mango.  A mango that has skin that is thin and usually eaten rather than peeled.  My tree remains pretty small for being in the ground for 17 years or so.  The fruits are small.  The tree blooms and fruits quite well.  I have had many Jamaicans to my house over the years and they have confirmed that this was "Blackie" that they had in Jamaica.  The eating quality for me is somewhere around fair, maybe a little better, but not quite to good (on the Excellent, Good, Fair and Poor scale).  Its flavor does not  distinguish itself sufficiently to overcome its small size.  I am not big on eating mango peel so that characteristic is lost on me.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 06:40:39 PM »

When I hear of "Blackies," I just assume that they are referring to Black Mango, a small, fibrous mango that damn-near everyone that I met in JA had growing in the yard.  Am I wrong to assume this?  Blackie is new?
~Jeff

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
With such amazing descendants from Julie, it seems justifiable for folks to claim her as their own!

Right so back to this...I'll try not to get too wonky with the history..but Indians came to the British Caribbean islands in the 1800s to replace the sugar plantation workers that were by then  emancipated African slaves. These Indians were indentured laborers, and while not technically slaves were still somewhat forced laborers.

Anyway, they brought with them many things including the mango and their mango cultural practices. Most went to Trinidad, Guyana and Jamaica (in that order), but much like their African predecessors,immeidate families in some cases were separated between the islands.. As British colonies there was much trade back and forth between the island colonies with Jamaica and Trinidad being the two largest population and cultural centers, goods (including plants and produce and including mango ) moved back and forth between the islands...And Jamaica and Trinidad specifically had long, similar and connected mango histories and practices from their Indian populaces, which again, included closely  related family members and people from both islands that could trace their lineage to often the same exact villages in the old country.

So noone knows exactly who selected the famed St. Julian (Julie) mango, and like with many things amongst these two islands (including sports, music, politics etc), a friendly but often fierce rivalry persits as to who actually invented the Julie.

Full disclosure: Jamaican mango lover, with one parent from Trinidad (of half east indian descent), the other from Jamaica, spent lots of my formative years in both, grandparents on both sides were agriculturalists..So I've heard first hand stories from people from both places who actually knew indentured Indian laborers from one generation before them from the late 1800s, who claim the famed Julie from both islands.

Noone can say for certain.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »

When I hear of "Blackies," I just assume that they are referring to Black Mango, a small, fibrous mango that damn-near everyone that I met in JA had growing in the yard.  Am I wrong to assume this?  Blackie is new?

I think you're correct..they are about the size of a large egg when ripe.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 06:57:48 PM »
And here are my two "imported" beauties that made it past the beagles yesterday :)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »
And here are my two "imported" beauties that made it past the beagles yesterday :)

Difficult to have size perspective from the photo, but those look larger than mine.  Mine never color up at all.  They remain green, pretty much, maybe getting a slight, and I mean very slight, yellowish cast just before they fall off the tree.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »

Difficult to have size perspective from the photo, but those look larger than mine.  Mine never color up at all.  They remain green, pretty much, maybe getting a slight, and I mean very slight, yellowish cast just before they fall off the tree.

Ok I'll find something to provide scale and take another photo in a few...One is pretty ripe, so I'll cut and take a pic of the inside too.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »

Right so back to this...I'll try not to get too wonky with the history..but Indians came to the British Caribbean islands in the 1800s to replace the sugar plantation workers that were by then  emancipated African slaves. These Indians were indentured laborers, and while not technically slaves were still somewhat forced laborers.

Anyway, they brought with them many things including the mango and their mango cultural practices. Most went to Trinidad, Guyana and Jamaica (in that order), but much like their African predecessors,immeidate families in some cases were separated between the islands.. As British colonies there was much trade back and forth between the island colonies with Jamaica and Trinidad being the two largest population and cultural centers, goods (including plants and produce and including mango ) moved back and forth between the islands...And Jamaica and Trinidad specifically had long, similar and connected mango histories and practices from their Indian populaces, which again, included closely  related family members and people from both islands that could trace their lineage to often the same exact villages in the old country.

So noone knows exactly who selected the famed St. Julian (Julie) mango, and like with many things amongst these two islands (including sports, music, politics etc), a friendly but often fierce rivalry persits as to who actually invented the Julie.

Full disclosure: Jamaican mango lover, with one parent from Trinidad (of half east indian descent), the other from Jamaica, spent lots of my formative years in both, grandparents on both sides were agriculturalists..So I've heard first hand stories from people from both places who actually knew indentured Indian laborers from one generation before them from the late 1800s, who claim the famed Julie from both islands.

Noone can say for certain.

So what you're saying is that Trinidad is better and the Julie did in fact come from Trinidad?