Author Topic: Tim Thompson Antonio Cold Hardy Mango Tree On You Tube !~  (Read 30745 times)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Zone 10

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Tim Thompson Antonio Cold Hardy Mango Tree On You Tube !~
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:39:44 PM »
  Just got two of these " Antonio mangos " from Tim a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to trying this cold hardy variety in Visalia.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 01:42:49 PM »
  Just got two of these " Antonio mangos " from Tim a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to trying this cold hardy variety in Visalia.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18207.msg228710#msg228710

tell that to BSBullie!  He will try to sell you some swamp land in FL, and laugh in your face!

I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm just curious to see how the mangoes handle temps below 27F.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 01:58:29 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18207.msg228710#msg228710

tell that to BSBullie!  He will try to sell you some swamp land in FL, and laugh in your face!

I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm just curious to see how the mangoes handle temps below 27F.

Visalia will test their cold hardiness ASAP! I guess I'm going to have to call a few local varieties around here that are 50-100 years old. They've endure many freeze thru the decades. One of our forum member is testing them in Bakersfield so we'll see

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 02:12:32 PM »
last winter my 15 gal Angie mango, was left outside unprotected....I got lazy, and laid it down underneath an oak tree.

temps got down to 26.5F briefly...I suppose the mango saw about 27F for 2 hr

it died back and I lost half of the tree, but now about a year later, the tree is really pretty!

for a mango tree to be considered cold tolerant, I'd say it would need to be able to withstand the same treatment, without having any significant damage.

Large mango trees here in central FL easily survive brief dips down to 28F without major damage...and some even survive 25F...but they die back to stumps....and all seem to be in protected locations...(so they probably stay above 25F if that is the air temp)

i wouldn't be surprised if there is a "cold hearty" mango seedling lurking somewhere in FL, but it's probably one out of 100,000 trees...and the fruit taste like Tommy Asskiss!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »
  I picked up 10 trees from Tim. Two for myself , and the rest were / will be distributed to different locations in the Central Valley. Axel  from the cloud forest cafe just met with Tim as well and wrote a nice short history of the process Tim used to develope these cold hardy mangos. It was a nice read. The bottom line is that Tim really does not know what the lowest temp Antonio will take. It's going to be a interesting experiment trying it here in Visalia.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »
Please let me know if they ship to FL, I would be interested in buying 1 or 2.

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »
  I picked up 10 trees from Tim. Two for myself , and the rest were / will be distributed to different locations in the Central Valley. Axel  from the cloud forest cafe just met with Tim as well and wrote a nice short history of the process Tim used to develope these cold hardy mangos. It was a nice read. The bottom line is that Tim really does not know what the lowest temp Antonio will take. It's going to be a interesting experiment trying it here in Visalia.

Who Alex Squam256?

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »
    Hi Ed, I would be happy to call him and ask if he ships to Florida for you.

William

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 06:37:48 PM »
even of any of these turn out to have any better cold tolerance, what is the quality level?  I am not saying it is, but who knows, you could be growing out a cold hardy Tommy Atkins...
- Rob

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
Read Axel's write up here. He also has a few of the mangos but not fully ripe yet. He's waiting a few days for them to ripen before tasting them. But he says that they smell very good.

http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/gardening/the-hardy-mango-for-real-t6265.html

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 07:21:44 PM »
even of any of these turn out to have any better cold tolerance, what is the quality level?  I am not saying it is, but who knows, you could be growing out a cold hardy Tommy Atkins...

lol..i guess you forgot, they don't seem to have a problem selling tommy fruits in areas that don't have locally grown mangoes.

if people in marginal zones for growing mangoes are lucky enough to find a cold hearty variety that will fruit,  they will buy the trees even if the fruit is of mediocre quality.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:26:21 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »
  Ed
I just got off the phone with Tim. He said that they do not ship. However the good news is that he's working with a nursery in Florida to propagate trees for sale in your state. He was also mentioning that while he was breeding and selecting for cold hardiness, he was also looking for flavor and resistance to anthracnose. This is been a process that has been ongoing for about 40 years to get to this point. He told me that Antonio mango was subjected to 25F for at least 2 hours with no visible damage at all. He said that he honestly does not know what its limits are. That is what makes this variety of so much interest to me.

William

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 08:15:31 PM »

lol..i guess you forgot, they don't seem to have a problem selling tommy fruits in areas that don't have locally grown mangoes.

if people in marginal zones for growing mangoes are lucky enough to find a cold hearty variety that will fruit,  they will buy the trees even if the fruit is of mediocre quality.

Like some avocado growers in Florida.  Sometimes you have to settle for not the best.   8)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 09:04:10 PM »
William thank you I appreciate your help !
Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »
So much bullshit flying around its not funny.  Now.we are promoting Tommy Atkins.  What a complete joke. 
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »
So much bullshit flying around its not funny.  Now.we are promoting Tommy Atkins.  What a complete joke.

:'(

I didn't see anyone promoting tommy.

It's just the simple fact that growers are willing to make a sacrifice when it comes to fruit quality, if it means the different between having homegrown fruit, or having to buy imported fruit at the store.

At least the fruit will taste better becasue it's right off the tree, and not irradiated or boiled, or picked green.

We don't even know what the quality of these Antonio fruits will be like, but they sure have an interesting story...if a juvenile tree can survive 25F without having damage, I'd say you got a cold hearty mango.

Let's hope the reports we've heard from Tim are accurate....And the fruit doesn't taste like tommy asskiss.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 09:40:55 PM »

I agree with you Adam but you have to be pretty desperate to grow a TA type fruit. We are going to have to wait a few years to evaluate these so call cold hardy mangos. I hope Tim raised the bar because if Timotayo set the standard for good tasting mangos his painted mango collection will not be very well received

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 07:43:04 AM »
Here In NE Florida we dont have that huge Mango Selection that you lucky Folks In SE Have, I would definitely plant a " Cold hardy TA Mango Tree, If it will produce and take the NE FL Cold " , My local publix sells them for 3.59 a pop..

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 10:39:26 AM »
Toppy told me that he had two mango blooms this past season but it was too cold to set fruit, both times.     It isn't always if the plant will live, but if it will fruit.  Timing of cold can beat you alone as flowers are not your covered graft. 

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »
I usually get blooms on my mango trees in March. This is a questionable time because of possible late frosts and rains. I have observed though that the trees usually bloom again in May. My Valencia pride held a fruit which was from a late February bloom. It was mature/ ripe by September 15. My young ice cream mango set a couple but they dropped around July 11. Maybe it will hold a few this year. I've got two keitt hanging now. How long do they generally take ? It also dropped all of the early set and re bloomed in May. Growing mangos is a whole new adventure for me 😊  But I've put together a nice collection over the summer. Around 20 varieties.

William

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 02:00:25 PM »
I usually get blooms on my mango trees in March. This is a questionable time because of possible late frosts and rains. I have observed though that the trees usually bloom again in May. My Valencia pride held a fruit which was from a late February bloom. It was mature/ ripe by September 15. My young ice cream mango set a couple but they dropped around July 11. Maybe it will hold a few this year. I've got two keitt hanging now. How long do they generally take ? It also dropped all of the early set and re bloomed in May. Growing mangos is a whole new adventure for me 😊  But I've put together a nice collection over the summer. Around 20 varieties.

William

William
You grow these in containers? The frost is usually over by February ,if any,  keitt hangs on the tree forever I have two left on my tree. I usually let them ripe on tree and harvest them as late as December

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »
Yes , this particular tree that I'm speaking of is in a 15 gallon pot. They have a nice color but still very firm to the touch.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 02:43:18 PM »
Well here's the verdict on the taste test from Axel.  :-\

"I had a chance to finally sample the tequila sunrise fruit. I would not rate it as good, but not excellent, the fiber content was quite high, but on par with the stringy commercial mangoes from Ecuador often found in the stores. The flavor was equal to the South American mangoes despite them being fresh from the tree, and that was a bit of a let down.

It's an ok mango, definitely not the "wow" I get from mangoes freshly picked. I hope the other mango varieties are better than this one."

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »
Well here's the verdict on the taste test from Axel.  :-\

"I had a chance to finally sample the tequila sunrise fruit. I would not rate it as good, but not excellent, the fiber content was quite high, but on par with the stringy commercial mangoes from Ecuador often found in the stores. The flavor was equal to the South American mangoes despite them being fresh from the tree, and that was a bit of a let down.

It's an ok mango, definitely not the "wow" I get from mangoes freshly picked. I hope the other mango varieties are better than this one."

Sign me up!  ;) :-[
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk