Author Topic: What persimmons are you growing in South Florida?  (Read 27144 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmon in SoFla?
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 06:30:20 PM »
Those "Winterset" were obtained from Treehouse.

Meaning that they ARE winterset, or they are not? By the leaf size cookie monster says it's not.

Meaning that they were sold as however they came marked from Treehouse.  If you do some searching, either on here or Gardenweb, I believe there are some posts about the Winterset coming out of Treehouse from a few years back.

Thanks for the reply. Well, regardless whether it is or not, I'm totally delighted that it has set fruit. Jeff knows his stuff so I'll just call it a persimmon from now on :-)

Maybe after I harvest some with leaf pics someone can ID it.

mangokothiyan, after you harvest them some pics would be cool.

Nobody else has persimmon fruiting?

Regards,

Gary

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
I planted a Triumph in early 2012.  It now has 8-9 fruit.  I'm thrilled. ;D
John

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2014, 08:30:05 AM »

Brad

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2014, 08:31:47 AM »

Brad

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2014, 08:33:28 AM »

Brad

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2014, 08:38:28 AM »
These are pictures of my Winterset Persimmon tree from treehouse nursery.  The tree has already fruited a couple of times and this has allowed me to confirm the identity.   

The origin of this variety is Treehouse Nursery In Bokeelia.  At their location I have seen the different varieties of persimmons mature and planted out near each other. Winterset is probably the most vigorous of all of the varieties. Fuyu is a close second. Hana fuyu and triumph are noticeably smaller trees. 

As a side note I believe the Winterset is really the Ormond variety.  People in Southeast Florida may not feel that the Winterset has the vigor that the Ormond is described as having. The Ormand variety is described as being a vigorous larger tree. And here in Southwest Florida that holds true. It is as large if not larger than a fuyu tree.  Persimmon trees are ultimately smaller mature trees as you get farther south in Florida.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:24:45 PM by bradflorida »
Brad

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
These are pictures of my Winterset Persimmon tree from treehouse nursery.  The tree has already fruited a couple of times and this has allowed me to confirm the identity.   

The origin of this variety is Treehouse Nursery In Bokeelia.  At their location I have seen the different varieties of persimmons mature and planted out near each other. Winterset is probably the most vigorous of all of the varieties. Fuyu is a close second. Hana fuyu and triumph are noticeably smaller trees. 

As a side note I believe the Wynterset is really the Ormond variety.  People in Southeast Florida hey not feel that the Winterset has the figure that the Ormond is described as having. The Orman variety is described as being a vigorous larger tree. And here in Southwest Florida that holds true. It is as large if not larger then fuyu tree.  Persimmon trees are ultimately smaller mature trees as you get farther south in Florida.

Thanks Brad for the pics. Some of the leaves look just like mine, wider and short, others like those that Jeff says are more indicative of the Winterset cultivar... slimmer, or is that two trees and or an illusion of the pic angle?

I am looking to get another now, maybe a Triumph.

Regards,

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »
Has anyone eaten a good sweet persimmon grown in South Florida or anywhere in Florida? I always thought it was a northern tree. I have posted photos taken in Japan of persimmons on trees with snow all around.

I think I have read reports here of sweet apples and peaches (lo chill hours) being grown and eaten in South Florida. If the apples you grow in South Florida turn out to be like tart crab apples who wants that?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »
It's the growth habit more than the leaves. The winterset is a petit grower with thin branches.

Brad -- you're lucky that you have sand, Your persimmon looks incredible. Mine absolutely detests oolitic limestone. They grow fabulously in pots but as soon as they hit the ground, they become incredibly chlorotic and stop flowering and producing.

I eventually gave up on persimmon until I can truck in some sand or anything other than limestone rock. Giving them a big 8 foot wide compost pit free of limestone didn't seem to help much, as the roots find the limestone pretty quickly. Bummer, cause the persimmon is an excellent fruit.
Jeff  :-)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2014, 08:41:35 PM »

The origin of this variety is Treehouse Nursery In Bokeelia.  At their location I have seen the different varieties of persimmons mature and planted out near each other.
It's the growth habit more than the leaves. The winterset is a petit grower with thin branches.

Brad -- you're lucky that you have sand, Your persimmon looks incredible. Mine absolutely detests oolitic limestone. They grow fabulously in pots but as soon as they hit the ground, they become incredibly chlorotic and stop flowering and producing.

I eventually gave up on persimmon until I can truck in some sand or anything other than limestone rock. Giving them a big 8 foot wide compost pit free of limestone didn't seem to help much, as the roots find the limestone pretty quickly. Bummer, cause the persimmon is an excellent fruit.
. Fuyu is a close second. Hana fuyu and triumph are noticeably smaller trees. 

As a side note I believe the Wynterset is really the Ormond variety.  People in Southeast Florida hey not feel that the Winterset has the figure that the Ormond is described as having. The Orman variety is described as being a vigorous larger tree. And here in Southwest Florida that holds true. It is as large if not larger then fuyu tree.  Persimmon trees are ultimately smaller mature trees as you get farther south in Florida.

So is it a vigorous grower, or a petit, small tree with thin branches????
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »
The mother tree that I ate fruit from at TreeHouse Nursery a few years back stood a mere 8 or so feet tall at about 10 years of age (according to the late Vivian). All of the trees that I've purchased from Vivian and Steve were slow growers.
Jeff  :-)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »
Gary

Those are all pictures of the same tree.   I just took a few different pictures to highlight the variation.   All leaves were from branches above the graft line.

Brad
Brad

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2014, 10:26:31 PM »
Has anyone ever grown Izu persimmon?
Brad

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What persimmons are you growing in South Florida?
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2014, 09:42:48 AM »
also interested in anyone growing saijo.  Thanks
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
Re: What persimmons are you growing in South Florida?
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »
My Winterset is flowering.   The Hudson has not flowered yet.
Adiel