Author Topic: Zills is Grafting Mahachanok  (Read 29358 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Zills is Grafting Mahachanok
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
While I have not been to Thailand, the following is from somebody who makes regular trips there for fruit purposes.

One trip there many years ago, he saw chocanon in the market.  He bought a couple, cut one and ate it.  He then went back to the vendor and handed back the uneaten fruit and told her she could keep it and explained the fruit was awful.  He asked why are these commercially grown and marketed?  He was told cause they fruit off season.

This same individual personally brought back the Mahachanok tree(s) years ago.  I have tasted many of the fruit off of the tree and I have NEVER noticed one strand of fiber.  As a side not, I have had chocanon here in Florida from multiple, unrelated sources, and they are all mediocre to below average and do have a distinct level of fiber in them (not a lot like an East Indian or Madame Frances but they do have some unappealing fiber).
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
While I have not been to Thailand, the following is from somebody who makes regular trips there for fruit purposes.

One trip there many years ago, he saw chocanon in the market.  He bought a couple, cut one and ate it.  He then went back to the vendor and handed back the uneaten fruit and told her she could keep it and explained the fruit was awful.  He asked why are these commercially grown and marketed?  He was told cause they fruit off season.

This same individual personally brought back the Mahachanok tree(s) years ago.  I have tasted many of the fruit off of the tree and I have NEVER noticed one strand of fiber.  As a side not, I have had chocanon here in Florida from multiple, unrelated sources, and they are all mediocre to below average and do have a distinct level of fiber in them (not a lot like an East Indian or Madame Frances but they do have some unappealing fiber).

hmm-wonder who that is?  :)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »
I really like the NDM. If you eat it slightly under-ripe, it has a perfect sweet and tart balance that's quite delicious.
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »
I really like the NDM. If you eat it slightly under-ripe, it has a perfect sweet and tart balance that's quite delicious.

That must be it...I let them get too ripe!  I bet I'd like them if I ate them the right way....I must try try again.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »

That must be it...I let them get too ripe!  I bet I'd like them if I ate them the right way....I must try try again.
Word of caution here...Cookie Man likes to eat some his mangoes with a level of chalkiness, which I, and others, do not like at all.  Yes, its all a matter of taste but I feel the best NDM are when they are at a medium "soft" stage of ripeness.  Overripe are not good and past green but underripe are not good either, IMO.

NDM can be consumed in the mature green stage and used as a very good component to Thai green mango salad.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »

I saw that tree...it had quite a lot of fruits in July but they won't sell any. Is Mahachanok a late season mangos?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2013, 02:26:49 PM »

My dad likes to pick his mangos when mature but unripe.  Last year my older daughter and I helped.  His NDM is tall and some of them split hitting branches or rocks.   I enjoy eating a few mangos green so I helped myself to one of the wounded.  It had just a hint of sweetness, a nice sour, and a touch of coconut.  My daughter and I could not stop eating it.  Some of the other green NDMs were only typical for green mango eating.
Brandon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2013, 03:02:03 PM »

I saw that tree...it had quite a lot of fruits in July but they won't sell any. Is Mahachanok a late season mangos?
Nope, they don't sell them...it is their favorite.

The mahachanok has an extended season, from late june through mid august or so.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
:-) The NDM (mine at least) actually doesn't get that chalky consistency. It's completely phyberless. It takes some practice to get it at the perfectly ripe stage. My tree also has a tendency to get internal breakdown, so I also have to pick them a couple of weeks early.

But, there are  people who prefer the NDM when overripe, because they are sweet as honey at that stage.

You can also eat them hard, like an apple. I remember Richard Campbell saying that he preferred eating them crunchy like an apple.

I also have to say that I actually didn't like the NDM during the first couple of years that mine fruited. It was an acquired taste for me. Today it's one of my favorite mangoes -- heavy and consistent fruiting and really delicious.

Word of caution here...Cookie Man likes to eat some his mangoes with a level of chalkiness, which I, and others, do not like at all.  Yes, its all a matter of taste but I feel the best NDM are when they are at a medium "soft" stage of ripeness.  Overripe are not good and past green but underripe are not good either, IMO.

NDM can be consumed in the mature green stage and used as a very good component to Thai green mango salad.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:54:25 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »
:-) The NDM (mine at least) actually doesn't get that chalky consistency. It's completely phyberless. It takes some practice to get it at the perfectly ripe stage. My tree also has a tendency to get internal breakdown, so I also have to pick them a couple of weeks early.

But, there are  people who prefer the NDM when overripe, because they are sweet as honey at that stage.

You can also eat them hard, like an apple. I remember Richard Campbell saying that he preferred eating them crunchy like an apple.

I also have to say that I actually didn't like the NDM during the first couple of years that mine fruited. It was an acquired taste for me. Today it's one of my favorite mangoes -- heavy and consistent fruiting and really delicious.

I liked the NDM the first time I tried it. That was when my dad and I bought the ndm #4 mango tree along with the young pace mamey tree from you and Elsy. :) I liked the sweet honey flavor of the NDM. That was also the first and only time I've tried the lemon zest mango.
Alexi

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »
Strange that the Maha's have no fibre at all in the USA, here they sure have some but not so much as a chocanon.

The best way to eat ndm4 is when the peel still has some green spots on it and also yellow pieces. Then you taste the tarteness combined with the sweet and also a strong tangy mangoflavour. If you let them be overripe they become a little mushy and only very sweet.

The mangoseason here has not fully started yet (my tree is bearing offseason for some reason, my other tree is blooming now) and i wonder how these maha's can be on the market and also for that cheap price. If that guy doubled the price he also would sell them easy but i think he was not a pro, just a guy who had many mango;s which he wanted to get rid of.

Only a few had a pink blush on the peel, i think if he would pick them later from the tree they would have more color and more taste. The maha's were huge though i still wonder how to make huge mango's. Sometimes the Ndm4 are also huge but i don't dare to deeply water my tree because of the collapsing of them. Maybe my tree is still too small to produce huge ones.

Chocanon is sure not a mango that i wouldn't eat. Actually there are no mango's at all that i would not eat here in Thailand. Some green ones they eat with sugar, salt and chilipowder that is not my thing but many green ones are also nice.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2013, 08:38:02 PM »
Very interesting discussion. My favorite statement, i think by Cookie Monster, is "old is bad, and good is new".  This is the not so subtle underlying mantra drummed into our heads by company advertising agencies, as they get you to buy the newest model, when there really is absolutely nothing wrong with the one you already have. I think to some extent this applies to mango crazes. That mango you have is already a good one, but the nurseries (or sometimes fellow mango snobs) try to convince you there is a better one you really need to have. Hey, it sells trees. That is why there are so many Has Been mangos. One issue not brought up is why the classic mangos remain the same for so long? One advertiser/promoter pointed out it costs millions to promote a new name, so it's cheaper and easier to stay with the old name. There is a fixed consumer name recognition that is hard to change. That is why Haden will stay on top here, Kensington Pride stays on top in Australia, Julie stays on top in Caribbean, etc. It's easier to call the new product KP1 or KP16 than to start with a whole new name and have to "re-educate" the buyer.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »
I keep on learning and discovering new things.

Now we ate another homegrown mango and my wife said our tree is a ndm4-si kew (green).  ndm4 si thong is the golden one.

The green one has more the tangy flavor mixed with sweet then the golden one who is mainly very sweet. I didn't know we had the green version because last years fruits were all sick and fell off because we had floodings all over here.

The 2 brothers on Chatuchak market sell ndm4 si daeng (red color) btw. From malaysia they said. Does anybody know it?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:16:49 AM by bangkok »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »
Siatong is not NDM4.  There are many NDMs with number designations and some have sub names suchs as Siatong And Mun, to name a couple.  I do not have the list available however I believe the number of NDMs are in the teens.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk