Author Topic: Reddest Jackfruit  (Read 28310 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Reddest Jackfruit
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
I ate an orangish-red jak at Excalibur that was delicious that I ate all the rag and all the inner peel!  I haven't had any other Jak that had a tasty inner peel.

Interesting. Do you know if that is the new Excalibur Red?

Har, did you see the post I made for your new business in the buy sell trade section? http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=160.msg1804#msg1804

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:37 PM »
I ate an orangish-red jak at Excalibur that was delicious that I ate all the rag and all the inner peel!  I haven't had any other Jak that had a tasty inner peel.

Har, did you see the post I made for your new business in the buy sell trade section? http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=160.msg1804#msg1804
The problem with that is that Har seems to like the rag as much as, if not better than, the plugs. :D
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
It sounds funny, but to be honest with you, some jacks have rag that is better than the actual fruit. My NS-1 seedling is like that.

The problem with that is that Har seems to like the rag as much as, if not better than, the plugs. :D
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 06:11:42 PM »
It sounds funny, but to be honest with you, some jacks have rag that is better than the actual fruit. My NS-1 seedling is like that.

Jeff:

I haven't encountered this phenomenon.  Since the rag is undeveloped or rather under developed perianths, in what way are they superior to the flesh surrounding a fully developed seed?

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
With my J-31, much of the rag is edible and actually pretty good but not nearly as tasty as the carples (flesh around the seed). I still rate the J-31 in my top 3 best tasting Jaks. 
FloridaGreenMan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
Totally concur on the J-31.  Its the superior rag that I am puzzled about that Jeff mentions.  I would love to get my hands on a jak with rag that was that good.  That would make edible content much more worth the effort of having to clean a jakfruit.  Which, I can tell you, is not my all time favorite thing to do. In my expeience, Cochin had the best edible rag in terms of taste and quantity.  The better pieces of rag may have been as good as the fruit itself, but most was slightly inferior.......and I found none superior.

Harry
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:10:23 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:05 PM »
For those of you that are not aware, Dr. Campbell from Fairchild Gardens in Miami used to host an incredible event called "Just Jakfruit"  For an admission fee of $10, there were informative lectures by FTG experts, followed by the main event which was a Jakfruit "buffet". They served samples of 15 or 20 of the best Jak cultivars and you could eat all that you want. Some of these were defrosted fruit but most were fresh and it was like being in Jakfruit heaven! In addition, they sold rare grafted & seedling Jakfruit trees for very good prices.  They have not held this event since but it was truly amazing and I hope they will do it again sometime soon! 
FGM           
FloridaGreenMan

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »
Hehe :-) You trying to say that I'm a freak :-).

I don't mean the entire rag -- but the couple of layers of rag closest to the carpel on my NS-1 seedling were really delicious. My wife and I clean the jacks as a team, and we both commented that the rag was better. I don't remember exactly what it was that made it better. I remember that I really liked the texture, and if memory serves, it was slightly more tart than the carpel.

Funnily, I had a Haitian fellow tell me that in Haiti they usually only eat the boiled seeds and discard the carpels, while his Jamaican wife said that in Jamaica, they do the exact opposite (eat the carpels and discard the seeds). I suppose if you have a jack with a good rag, you can eat the entire thing, seeds and all :-).

Jeff:

I haven't encountered this phenomenon.  Since the rag is undeveloped or rather under developed perianths, in what way are they superior to the flesh surrounding a fully developed seed?

Harry
Jeff  :-)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:24 PM »
For those of you that are not aware, Dr. Campbell from Fairchild Gardens in Miami used to host an incredible event called "Just Jakfruit"  For an admission fee of $10, there were informative lectures by FTG experts, followed by the main event which was a Jakfruit "buffet". They served samples of 15 or 20 of the best Jak cultivars and you could eat all that you want. Some of these were defrosted fruit but most were fresh and it was like being in Jakfruit heaven! In addition, they sold rare grafted & seedling Jakfruit trees for very good prices.  They have not held this event since but it was truly amazing and I hope they will do it again sometime soon! 
FGM         

I was just looking at this the other day mark your calendars! http://www.fruitandspicepark.org/index.php?option=com_rsevents&view=events&layout=show&cid=236:cooking-with-jackfruit&Itemid=65

_JoeP450

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 05:19:48 AM »
Today i was on Chatuchak market and bought that Jackfruit Suria for 70 baht. I will graft one branch on my tree and then give it somebody who wants it.

I made a pic of the pic at the shop, it looks very red indeed but they alsways photoshop those pics. I also saw a jakrapat mango in reel in that shop, it had a little pink blush on one side while the pic looks deep purple.

The tree is grafted so i hope it is the real suria.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2012, 05:34:29 AM »
I have seen a few orange fleshed ones in thailand that the locals call red.There are deep orange types in thailand and australia and most don't seem to be named.A friend brought a piece of jackfruit back from a trip to Darwin that was almost red with orange rag.I suppose it has deep tangerine/minneola flesh.I don't know the name of the variety but fruit and bulbs are very small.I am going to Darwin in Feb. sp I'll keep an eye out.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2012, 05:43:52 AM »
I was lucky that a thai lady was next to me at the shop and she told me it was a new species. But i guess it is the same one as you had from Darwin. Anyway i like to graft it on my tree but this tree is even bigger then mine. The branches are not even thick as a pencil so can i try an approach graft on it?

The reason i went to chatuchak was to look for passionfruit, i found plants with the same flowers but that was not passionfruit they said.

I bought a black grape plant and a sweet starfruit as well. I hope they really produce sweet fruits.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2012, 05:57:54 AM »
bangkok I have a single passionfruit on my african yellow,my brother's red panama has 100's (I gave him the seedling in March) of ripening fruit and I can get panama gold and norfolk black from the markets on Friday.Forget the overseas names they are local varieties of passionfruit.Anyway, the seeds will be sent of the best of that lot after Xmas at this rate.
Darwin gets alot of Asian fruit due to its proximity.There is a very islolated tropical fruit growing community there and they have some great fruit.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »
I 'm looking forward to your seeds Mike! I can wait and the fence at the front of the house is reserved for those seeds. I allready cut the Bougainvillea off the fence and will make nice stonestrips on the wall under the iron part of the fence. There is also a tree where they can climb in and it is in full sun all day.

I have not been in Darwin (because i heard of the mosquito's) but i guess that is the same climate as here, hot and humid and mosquito's.

An old man on the market sold small passionfruits for 50 baht a kg, i tasted one and it was sour but he said they came from Khonkaen.
It looked like the panama-red, also in the shops they all look like that. I have never seen a golden passionfruit anywhere.

Just send me what you think is best and what is availlable there. If i were you also also would grow a panama-red like your brother.

I m sure you will go to Chatuchak yourself when you come to Thailand next trip, then you can see the red jackfruits there. I will try to place the pic i made at the shop but i have a Nokia phone that always has problems with my computer.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2012, 06:32:49 AM »
Bangkok I have been to chatuchak before a couple of times and seen the jacks they call red.,They are redder in Esarn.I have tried passionfruit from koen kaen,ubon,changmai,phuket and bangkok and they are all sour shockers.Red panamas are really common in every second backyard and supermarket as are panama gold.I always have a few varieties on the go.Many people on this forum prefer the sours.The only named sour variety of flavicarpa here is called hawaain yellow.Sour blacks are also getting less common in recent years.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
Well i go for sweet sweet and more sweet with fruits.

Look i found this pic, 61 kg jackfruit

natsgarden123

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »
already alluded to ... but ebay pics aren't always accurate- I have ordered a number of grafted adeniums ( from more than one asian seller) and the colors were mostly exaggerated-I also ordered an etrog tree which turned out to be a budda's hand.

Anyway, some of the fruit trees seem to have wow fruits- for example:  Mango R2E2 is new hybrid from Austrialia, Thai mango is very popular, having very thick skin, less disease and easy to grow. Having big fruit, average 600-1000 gram per fruit. The fruit is rounded, showing red colour where the fruit get the sun.  The sweetness is at 14-17 Brix. 

Has anyone actually seen these trees, like the thai red or R2E2 mango,  and their fruits?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »
http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=104254#SlideFrame_1

R2E2 is 30 years old and very hard to sell here as it cannot compete with KP for flavor.They are an extremely average mango fit only for export.

I have lots of adeniums from Thailand that were supposed to be doubles,triples,purples,splashes and harlequins.They are trashy pinks as I have found out but at least I have 3 species now.I have seen thai red jackfruit growing and seen the fruit cut.They are not red, they are orange and would get called orange jackfruit anywhere else.Only a ding dong would say daeng.

Picko Jack

• Malang, East Java - Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2014, 12:36:38 AM »
Hi everyone,
Trying to googling red jackfruit in thai and this is what get :

http://www.kasetporpeang.com/forums/index.php?topic=90137.0

if the translation is correct its a 6 years old Dang Suria
im pretty sure it wasn't Photoshopped, the thread were some kind of Thai fruit lovers forum.
Maybe Bangkok can help us with this

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2014, 02:07:19 AM »
Hi everyone,
Trying to googling red jackfruit in thai and this is what get :

http://www.kasetporpeang.com/forums/index.php?topic=90137.0

if the translation is correct its a 6 years old Dang Suria
im pretty sure it wasn't Photoshopped, the thread were some kind of Thai fruit lovers forum.
Maybe Bangkok can help us with this

Yes that looks like a real not photoshopped daeng suria.

I bought a grafted tree from it and grafted a scion onto my own jackfruit tree.
Then i saw the fruits for sale and bought some and ate it. It was not nice enough so i threw the whole tree away.
There are much better jackfruits in Thailand but they are not red.

There are new variety's again now, i forgot the Thai name but i want to taste them first before i buy it.

For me the Thong prasert and Pet raa chaa are still the best ones but they have to be very ripe (that's important).
Sometimes i see them for sale and when i ask the seller if it is one of those variety's then they have no idea what i 'm talking about, so sometimes even the sellers on the street don't know the variety names. They just sell jackfruit all day.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2014, 02:27:11 AM »
Sure looks red alright and genuine but I only believe half of what I see.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2014, 02:51:28 AM »
The problem with tasting jackfruit is that they taste different all the time.

I have no idea if the one that i ate was ripe enough. It tasted so bland that i was very disappointed in it and so was my wife. I bought it on the or-tor-kor fruitmarket though for a high price but also that doesn't say anything. Even on that hi-so fruitmarket they don't care at all for their customers.

I have a jackfruitseller around the corner and he really has thongprasert. Many times i bought from him and most times they taste perfect. Lately he sold me bland tasting not sweet jackfruit a few times. One time i brought it back to him and told him it was not nice. The next time (some weeks later) he sold me a bland one again. That time i saw a whole  jackfruit on the counter and it looked totally green and didn't smell.

Thai sellers sometimes just sell even when they loose customers by that. They don't care for returning customers.

I will taste daeng suria again if i see it but i don't expect much this time.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
OK, I think that there has been some progress in identifying red fleshed jackfruit cultivars. It seems that in the top two spots are 'Excalibur Red' and 'Cristela,' where 'Cristela' is the reddest fleshed jackfruit and according to Rob, 'Excalibur Red' tastes better than 'Cristela.'

It's been a few years since some T.F.Forum Members have had planted 'Cristela' and 'Excalibur Red' jackfruits. It shouldn't be long now until we are fortunate to get reports on the fruit quality, taste and appearance of these two varieties.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2014, 09:21:08 PM »
Leo - you should read the responses to other posts you make in other threads before you keep repeating yourself thread after thread.

I have been eating the three red varieties in question, Excalibur Red, Deng Suria and Cristela, for years.  Both Deng Suria andExcalibur Red are darker red color.  Cristela is a paler red, almost pinky red but not a vivid red.

Taste wise, Deng Sura and Excalibur Red are superior.   Cristela is very good but just a notch below in my opinion.  Now the one issue with the availability of Excalibur Red,  I would pick Deng Suria first and Cristela second.  If Excalibur Red is available,  it would be a toss up between that and Deng Suria with Cristela third.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »
Leo - you should read the responses to other posts you make in other threads before you keep repeating yourself thread after thread.

I have been eating the three red varieties in question, Excalibur Red, Deng Suria and Cristela, for years.  Both Deng Suria andExcalibur Red are darker red color.  Cristela is a paler red, almost pinky red but not a vivid red.

Taste wise, Deng Sura and Excalibur Red are superior.   Cristela is very good but just a notch below in my opinion.  Now the one issue with the availability of Excalibur Red,  I would pick Deng Suria first and Cristela second.  If Excalibur Red is available,  it would be a toss up between that and Deng Suria with Cristela third.

Hi Rob, how does Chris Rollin's Borneo red fit into your red jack ratings? BTW, nice to have you back on the forum!
Oscar