Author Topic: The Perfect Mango Variety  (Read 9112 times)

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Mango Variety
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 09:57:57 AM »
I would recomend reading:

https://scroll.in/magazine/837450/goan-mangoes-are-the-best-in-world-history-proves-so-too
Amazing!  We need to send a mango-finding expedition to Goa and bring back those varieties!
John

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »
Amazing Article, those mangos ARE PERFECT!?

After absorbing this amazing Article, I take note that these mangos have been in existence over 4 decades. So, it begs the question: Why are those mango varieties, the 'Hilario' and 'Mankurad' ('Malcurada'), not here already in the states (US) already, as in California, Florida, Texas, or at least Hawaii?

It if wasn't because my time is pretty much compromised (When will the General Artificial Intelligence robots get here?), I'd likely be making plans for plane tickets and traveling.

Notable quotes from the Article:

"All these different varietals are unusally delicious, but the objects of maximum desire and longing, the fruits that strike the deepest chord in every Goan soul are the luscious 'Hilario' (mango variety), and the peerlessly magnificent 'Mankurad' (mango variety)."

"The 'Hilario' was propagated long after Sampayo’s ode, and every tree derives from a famous progenitor from the garden of Hilario Fernandes in Siolim. Its remarkably fiberless flesh is the sweetest ever recorded, which is among the reasons it has spread so widely just four decades after being identified."

"The Malcurada (Mankurad in Konkani), “it has the most delicious flavour of all”... "The Mankurad has maintained its reputation as the apex mango for generations, thus establishing itself as iconic, talismanic, the epitome of everything precious and captivating and sexy in Goan culture.

https://scroll.in/magazine/837450/goan-mangoes-are-the-best-in-world-history-proves-so-too
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »
Amazing Article, those mangos ARE PERFECT!?

After absorbing this amazing Article, I take note that these mangos have been in existence over 4 decades. So, it begs the question: Why are those mango varieties, the 'Hilario' and 'Mankurad' ('Malcurada'), not here already in the states (US) already, as in California, Florida, Texas, or at least Hawaii?

It if wasn't because my time is pretty much compromised (When will the General Artificial Intelligence robots get here?), I'd likely be making plans for plane tickets and traveling.

Notable quotes from the Article:

"All these different varietals are unusally delicious, but the objects of maximum desire and longing, the fruits that strike the deepest chord in every Goan soul are the luscious 'Hilario' (mango variety), and the peerlessly magnificent 'Mankurad' (mango variety)."

"The 'Hilario' was propagated long after Sampayo’s ode, and every tree derives from a famous progenitor from the garden of Hilario Fernandes in Siolim. Its remarkably fiberless flesh is the sweetest ever recorded, which is among the reasons it has spread so widely just four decades after being identified."

"The Malcurada (Mankurad in Konkani), “it has the most delicious flavour of all”... "The Mankurad has maintained its reputation as the apex mango for generations, thus establishing itself as iconic, talismanic, the epitome of everything precious and captivating and sexy in Goan culture.

these varieties may already be here, like other things those who brought over changed its name and call it their own creation. There is no one policing it.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2019, 10:24:37 PM »
I think subject should change to what makes perfect mango variety.  My ranking of perfect variety is #1.  taste.  and even taste is subjective to an individual. 

I rather grow a tasty,fiber mangos which bear less fruits  than a tasteless ,fiberless mango that produces lots of fruits.

"cinnamon-caramel-honeyed depths of flavour of the Goan fruit" .  I don't like cinnamon, therefore, not my kinda taste.   The kinda taste I'm looking for is something that is addictive like drug, the kinda taste that keeps you wanting more, more after you have eaten. The taste that you can't stop eating.