Author Topic: Pickering seedling  (Read 1124 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Pickering seedling
« on: October 31, 2019, 09:49:58 PM »
I like how this seedling is turning out. I've planted a few Pickering seeds from my trees, but so far only two seem to be "dwarf". This one in particular is nice--it's less than 4' tall and has branched out nicely on its own. I haven't done any pruning on it.

It is only about two and a half years old so it hasn't fruited yet. Hopefully it will fruit in the near future, and while I'm hoping, may as well hope the fruit are delicious😋

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pickering seedling
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:55:32 PM »
Good luck with your seedling, hopefully it will produce tasty fruit for you. I love seeing people grow trees from seeds. If the fruit isn’t good, at least you’ll have rootstock to graft onto. It may be worth waiting and tasting at least a few years of fruit as first fruits may not be good because of juvenility of the tree.

Simon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 08:32:32 PM »
Looking good ! I have a 1.5 year old sweet Tart Seedling , it’s a great looking tree , and when you tear the leaves they have a strong fruity scent👍

Ed
Zone 10

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 03:12:38 PM »
Awesome
Loving this thread of people trying out the seedlings

But what if we end up finding a good variety that would like to propagate?

would we need help from established nursery?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 10:28:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Simon, if you're a fan of seedlings, you'd love my yard😂 I have a mix of grafted and seedling stuff--definitely more curious about the seedlings, as there's the chance of something special. Not all seedlings get a spot, but as I said, I'm really taken by the dwarfish habit of this one and its natural tendency to branch. jbaqai, if it does end up good or great, guess I'll have to learn how to graft😜😋

Ed, I'm also growing some polyembryonic seedlings, including Sweet Tart.

Here's one of my two Pim Seng Mun seedlings (I had 4 from the same seed--when you tore the leaves, three of the seedlings smelled like the parent fruit). I had to cut the top to get it to branch. One branch is vigorous. I believe Chris of Truly Tropical suggested in a mango-tree-trimming video to remove such a vigorous branch, but I can't bring myself to do it. Can you see the awesome black racer at the base of the tree?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:40:30 PM by fliptop »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk