Author Topic: Avocado tree in containers question  (Read 1111 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Avocado tree in containers question
« on: May 18, 2020, 11:00:15 PM »
Hello all, I’m trying to get some info before I go out and buy. I’ve been growing citrus in pots for years now, I’ve had great success! (At 15 varieties and climbing!) I do it all from propagate and root my own, to growing my own rootstock and grafting them: All in Wisconsin (5A). My climate is not ideal, but I have a love for tropical fruits!

I would like to get into avocados! I do not know much about their pollination other than A and B varieties.. or what that really means anyways in terms of pollination  and I know that “every plant is made to be outside, not in contaienrsbahahxhak”

I would just like to know what it would take to grow one and have it fruit successfully! Any variety better in containers than others? I have heard they’re quite similar to citrus in care, but harder to get to fruit and pollinate. I have heard that there’s no “real” dwarf avo, which I would love to start there if there is. I’m working on growing some rootstock and will eventually graft my own, but I’m thinking I want to get into it sooner than later!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado tree in containers question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 11:59:51 PM »
I think Pinkerton is said to be semi Dwarf... 😃
El verde es vida!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
I have a Pinkerton that does not grow a lot in Homestead, Florida. Gets sunburned a lot also. It has stayed under 18 feet without pruning for a few years. The Pinkerton is on top a two other varieties that tends to keep the tree small.
Rootstock-Mexicola-Pinkerton,  My is on Waldin-Beta- Pinkerton  or any other combination  can keep trees small
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

gychang

• Honolulu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »
XX3 or Holiday stays pretty small.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 05:16:06 PM »
Thanks for the responses! I’m looking to keep it in a 10 gallon container if possible though, I think those varieties are a tad too big to keep in a smaller pot. I read up on Wurtz which seems to be the only dwarf. Or the “day” avocado seems to do well in containers as well. Any info on those?