Author Topic: Fermented egg shells  (Read 1402 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Fermented egg shells
« on: October 16, 2018, 06:06:17 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo6CwTUHNpb/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=jpsom1ce2n85

Anyone know much about this? Can’t find much online about it but it’s an interesting idea.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Fermented egg shells
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 06:39:57 AM »
You don't have to "ferment" them (note: that's not fermentation, just dissolution, and it doesn't require frying, although it might speed up the process by oxidizing CaCO3 to CaO if hot enough and/or burning off the membrane).  But if you want to add calcium to your soil, eggshells are a calcium concentrate  :)  Eggshells are basically calcium carbonate plated out around a thin organic membrane. Vinegar is a weak acid and dissolves the calcium carbonate, akin to acid rain dissolving limestone (which is also calcium carbonate).

Dissolving with eggshells with vinegar will create calcium acetate. Honestly, there are better anions than acetate for supplementing soil nutrients (sulfates, phosphates, nitrates...), and you definitely don't want residual acetic acid (would you dump plain vinegar on your soil? ;) ), but it's certainly workable, and has a history of use. Soluble forms of calcium of course go straight to work in the soil. However, calcium carbonate itself is active in the soil - that's what agricultural lime is.  It just takes longer to act.  Also, it reduces soil acidity, while calcium acetate should be pH neutral.  But the effects are not going to be huge because you're not going to be using huge amounts.  If you're just talking kitchen waste, it's not going to be that much calcium, and even less effect on pH.

Doing some quick checking I see that the most desirable use for acetate fertilizers is for foliar sprays, due to their high solubility.  But again, you definitely don't want to be dumping residual vinegar on your plants.... unless you also are dumping some olive oil and calling it a salad  ;)  If you decide to dissolve eggshells in vinegar, make sure it's the *eggshells* that are in excess, not the vinegar!  If you want to speed up the reaction, in addition to grinding the eggshells as fine as you can, and heating as hot as you can get them, having the dissolution occur in hot vinegar will greatly speed up the process (and help make it more thorough). When I'm testing mineral samples for their calcium content, I always use hot vinegar rather than cold; cold will dissolve small calcite crystals, but its a much more vigorous, obvious reaction with hot vinegar.  Just be aware that hot vinegar is... well, pungent!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:50:50 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
google search calphos and knf. It is part of the system of Korean Natural farming which uses lots of homemade substances.
If you can get clean new drywall sheetrock wallboard free it is another home grown source for calcium  as the sulfate.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=yfvFW4yiEIi15gKvqr3wDw&q=calphos+knf&btnK=Google+Search&oq=calphos+knf&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i10i30j0i22i30.1460.6530..8189...0.0..0.128.1203.7j5......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0j35i39j0i67j0i131j0i131i67j0i20i264j0i131i20i264j0i10.c3-ea5wHUE4

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 10:58:42 AM by pineislander »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »
Pretty smart cookie Karen!

What do think about "Chicken The Alchemist"? Is it truly elemental calcium in eggshells with out any calcium in their diet?

"The neat thing about Professor Kervran’s work is that he proved that fourteen atoms of silica and six atoms of carbon makes 20 atoms of calcium. He took these chickens and gave them no calcium, and he watched them grow solid hard calcium eggshells. And when he took the silica out of their diet, the eggshells would not even become solid, they were soft: couldn't form the calcium. So, he’s got the equation down, the science, on how in life the source element silica creates calcium and creates the other nutrients, and creates the most readily usable form of calcium"

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »
he proved that fourteen atoms of silica and six atoms of carbon makes 20 atoms of calcium.
::)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »
he proved that fourteen atoms of silica and six atoms of carbon makes 20 atoms of calcium.
::)

:). I know, I'm rolling my eyes too! Apparently there are pockets in the world with no calcium in soil. Forum member from Reunion Island posted of the same issue there. Just trying to figure out what's going on scientifically? How everything manages to stay lush and green without this essential element for plant life?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk