Author Topic: Leaves curling on two of my mandarins  (Read 2760 times)

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
Leaves curling on two of my mandarins
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »
Hi everyone....all  my citrus are busy putting out new growth now......but two of my mandarins have curling leaves......they are last years leaves and they are putting out healthy new growth.......when i say curling....I do not mean "cupping"............they are curling back under themselves...........any idea what is causing that please?...........all my other trees are fine......except my okitsu which has yellow lower leaves and is still dormant.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Leaves curling on two of my mandarins
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
Do the leaves feel dry, or soft/limp? 

I currently have two similar problems that I can't explain:

One tree, a satsuma, has many upward-cupped leaves that feel very dry, like it needs water.  However it is well watered and also has many normal looking and feeling leaves.  It has had these dry cupped leaves all year and they are still dark green.

Another tree, a limqeuat that nearly died, had normal looking new growth that I then noticed sagging.  The leaves were dropping downward and felt limp.  I noticed it had a scale infestation.  I treated the scale a week or two ago but it still looks the same.

Your situation sounds sort of different from either of these but I'd check for bugs under the leaves that are bending down.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:54:02 PM by brian »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »
Potassium deficiency is most obvious in older leaves, where leaf edges often curl downward. Potassium deficient leave may, or may not, be pale overall or have yellow mottling and chlorotic or necrotic edges. Deficiency is remedied by applying potassium to soil or leaves.  Avoid excess potassium concentrations, which reduce magnesium availability. - Millet

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
Its not the edges millet......the whole leaf is rolled under so to speak.......and plenty of them.......they look dark green but rolled like a piece of ham on a coctail stick!.............I will try to take a pic.......leaves are not limp.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 12:50:48 PM »
first 3 pics are of trees ...last one is of navelina going well.....photos taken at night with flash.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »
okitsu with yellow leaves and still dormant.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »
Looking at the photo of your Mandarin tree with the leaf ends rolled back is exactly what a potassium deficiency looks like. - Mllet
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:52:36 PM by Millet »

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »
Thank you sir! 8).....i suppose these older leaves will drop and the new growth is coming through........will pay more attention to feeding correctly. ........all my citrus are putting out spring growth....except for my okitsu....which has had those yellow leaves near the bottom.......i have flushed it and fed it......the top leaves have gone a bit greener as a result but she still seems to stay dormant......any theories?
Are okitsu a troublesome variety !!! Hahaha.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:59:52 PM by laidbackdood »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk