Author Topic: Liquid Copper Fungicide...  (Read 24101 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Liquid Copper Fungicide...
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2016, 12:17:39 AM »
It's called -- mulch over the grass. That's what I did.

Do they make a spray for clumsy lawn guys? Found a few dozen mangoes on the ground this weekend after the lawn guys went through like a drunken tornado.
Jeff  :-)

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2016, 09:34:57 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2016, 02:16:01 PM »
The thracnose damage on the mangoes that got hit with it are starting to heal. Either the mix I'm using worked, or the last week or so of drier weather has allowed them to heal (or a combo of both).

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2016, 07:11:33 PM »
My soil tests are in. Copper is low. Soil in this area tends to be low in copper. So, I could probably go heavier on the copper spray.

Notice the level of nitrate nitrogen :-). All the mulch + worm castings everywhere has led to a boatload of nitrogen :-).

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2016, 11:13:09 PM »
My soil tests are in.

Hello Jeff, do you mind sharing the name of the lab that you used for the soil test & the cost?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2016, 12:16:47 AM »
Spectrum Analytics, $14. The nitrate nitrogen test is an extra $7, but not needed -- I was just curious to see how much N all the years of heavy mulching was adding. Get the s3 test, which is $14 flat. Send them a sandwich baggie of air dried soil. Results are given within 24 hours of them receiving the soil. If you plug in the type of plant you're growing, the system will tailor the high, medium, low chart to that and will give you recommendations of all nutrients.

The recommendations are based on a complex set of interactions and soil conditions (a bunch of equations they've developed over the years). For example, a high potassium level could lead to a magnesium deficiency, even though the soil is actually high in magnesium -- because both magnesium and potassium compete for the same receptors. And, while 3ppm of copper in a sandy non-organic and low ph soil would be high, it's low in a high calcium exchange soil with high organic content and high ph. So, simply knowing the ppm level of each nutrient is not very useful in guiding fertilization.

It's a good idea to get a lab test at least once a year to see where you're at, as it does fluctuate. It's the best $14 dollars you'll ever spend. Use USPS flat rate for the shipping. You can fit 2 samples in the small size box. It's a good idea to take samples from different locations, as your soil can vary.

My soil tests are in.

Hello Jeff, do you mind sharing the name of the lab that you used for the soil test & the cost?

mangorific

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2016, 11:35:10 AM »
Awesome, thanks Jeff. I'll give them a shot. Their report looks more detailed than UF's.

UF Report (modified slightly for brevity) -

Side note, I think the extremely high calcium is locking up the potassium and phosphorus. Trees in this area do poorly and some even die out.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
15k ppm CA and a 7.0 ph seems wrong. That's a boatload of calcium! The miami marl I had tested only had about 30k ppm.

The reason trees are looking ratty and dying in Loxahatchee is very likely not due to the soil but rather due to the fungal issues of that area. I have a similar phenomenon here, where the mango trees along my lake die, but it's due to fungus caused by the higher humidity along the lake. The mango tree can do quite well even in 8.0 ph (eg, Homestead) and don't require a lot in the way of nutrition.

Awesome, thanks Jeff. I'll give them a shot. Their report looks more detailed than UF's.

UF Report (modified slightly for brevity) -

Side note, I think the extremely high calcium is locking up the potassium and phosphorus. Trees in this area do poorly and some even die out.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »
I just noticed that the UF lab uses the same extraction method as SpectrumAnalytics: Mehlich 3.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss620
http://nwdistrict.ifas.ufl.edu/phag/2014/09/26/mehlich-3-improved-soil-testing-for-florida-growers/

Wonder why their CA levels are so high?

mangorific

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2016, 11:17:15 PM »
Nice find. Good info..

I just realized my last reply was a bit vague. When I said "Trees in this area do poorly...", by "area" I meant a particular section of my property. I have other trees located elsewhere on my acre that do well, including some close to a large pond. This problem section was subject to a large amount of fill being brought in years ago from a source high in CA. The high CA in the test result does not surprise me (though it does disappoint me, lol). The tree decline comes in the form of stunted leaf development and leaf burn (beginning from leaf tips/edges and moving inward).

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2016, 11:41:41 PM »
OK. What's weird though is that the ph is a 7.0 (neutral), but with that much calcium, I'd expect it to be in the high 7's.

Nice find. Good info..

I just realized my last reply was a bit vague. When I said "Trees in this area do poorly...", by "area" I meant a particular section of my property. I have other trees located elsewhere on my acre that do well, including some close to a large pond. This problem section was subject to a large amount of fill being brought in years ago from a source high in CA. The high CA in the test result does not surprise me (though it does disappoint me, lol). The tree decline comes in the form of stunted leaf development and leaf burn (beginning from leaf tips/edges and moving inward).

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2020, 04:20:24 PM »
I've been spraying a copper and sulfur mix about once a week during bloom season. Copper soap (copper octanoate) and micronized sulfur are both OMRI listed (ie, organic) products. And with a mister, the amount of product needed is miniscule (I can cover my entire grove of ~30 mango trees -- some 20 feet tall -- with under 2 gallons of mix). So the potential for copper buildup is essentially nil, and in the case of sulfur is not even a concern.

I haven't been paying attention to bloom cycle, and I haven't noticed any detriment by spraying open flowers. I also haven't found any literature suggesting that it's harmful (most literature suggests spraying at regular intervals, eg, once per week without regard to bloom stage). I do however, spray at dusk, as both products have the potential for phytotoxicity.

Like Gary, I too was initially averse to using any sort of "chemical" to control fungal issues. However, in talking with Har and researching the topic, I've come to realize that the use of "bio-sensible" products (as Har calls it) is essential to maintaining a healthy and productive orchard. At present, the only 2 "chemicals" we use are copper soap and sulfur, and their use has had a dramatic impact on both tree health and production.
The fight begins just before dusk. I just got this tree a couple of weeks ago and was advised that it is going to be problematic

Bonide 32-fl oz Copper Fungicide

This is a produce i used at first sign of flowering back in late 2019 early 2020. I did not see sulfur on the label but worked really well on powdery mildew and smells good, If someone would give some insight on the active ingredients in the label would be greatly appreciated :)

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
How about this suggestion against fungus and bacteria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFD97jAdtKU
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk