Author Topic: Talk about precocious!  (Read 1930 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Talk about precocious!
« on: April 08, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
So my little Pickering is a stick with maybe a dozen leaves and 4 small scaffold branches. I got it this winter and would be surprised if it is over two years old.

And it has about 50 BB to marble sized mangoes on it! I am just about to cull all the flower stalks because this tree is WAY too small to hold any fruit. But I just had to take a couple of pics before it did.

What a crazy (and wonderful) mango tree! Can't wait till it gets some size on it so I can have fruit from it next year!

- Mark

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Talk about precocious!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »
Pickering is definitely super productive and the fruit is really awesome with the desert heat. Grows pretty good once you remove the fruit. I would suggest you withhold fruit for 2 years because they really do not grow much in the year you let it fruit. If you can keep it green and growing for 2 years you will have a beautiful bush that will hold 20 or more mangoes.  The longer you wait to let it hold fruit the more you will get once you do. Pickering is a mango machine and the flavor of desert ripened is really tough to beat. The sooner you get those flowers off the sooner it's going to branch. Maha Chanok is another machine and does well here in the desert. A lot of asian varieties do not take our heat and dry air too well, but zills Maha Chanok is vigorous, long season, and super productive. Did you get yours from Samus O'leary tropicals locally or did you mail order?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:30:07 PM by mangomaniac2 »

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »
Thanks mangomaniac2!

Yeah, I got the Pickering from Shamus (as I have for so many of my trees). And speaking of mahachanok: I got some scions that I grafted onto my rootstock Manila. Graft has taken but not pushed yet. I am hoping for mangoes from both of these awesome cultivars in my future!
- Mark

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 04:16:41 PM »
Wow, that fruit will be 1/4 of the size of the tree if it holds. I decided to finally try grafting pickering the other day. Hopefully it take.
You can never had too much mango varieties  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:21:51 PM by skhan »

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »
You can never had too much mango varieties  ;D

Ha! I know what you mean. I have been doing quite a bit of grafting myself :)
- Mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk